Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

The veiled racism in this thread is pretty awful. I posted a link to this thread so people could see the references to ‘hip hop’, sagging, little thugs, etc.-all the references to white vs black areas of town. It is disgraceful. I grew up in a working class area and live in one now and it is cultural thing-trashy is trashy and has no color.

The reference to Columbus not turning into ‘Detroit’ is classic. To the white bigots who posted-congratulations on your white privilege-I am sure you will keep doing what you can to keep it.

I think you’re right it has to do more with class than color now; poor is poor, trash is trash. Like I said my little pocket and who I see on the streets around my house are not the Range Rover driving upper-class like you see in most other parts of “Short North.” The reason why I moved to my part of town and to Columbus in general is because of it’s great diversity.

My place is not expensive to rent and neither are some of the places on the street, as I have had friends looking at those. Then you go down the street to the Jeffrey and you get into higher-end places, then you go down right across from Little Rock and there is low income housing there. Also a lot of people forget that right across from St. Joseph’s Montessori on Summit is section 8 housing. This leads to diversity and I truly believe it is because I am out walking the streets on a daily/weekly basis.

CivilE
    Participant

The veiled racism in this thread is pretty awful. I posted a link to this thread so people could see the references to ‘hip hop’, sagging, little thugs, etc.-all the references to white vs black areas of town. It is disgraceful. I grew up in a working class area and live in one now and it is cultural thing-trashy is trashy and has no color.

The reference to Columbus not turning into ‘Detroit’ is classic. To the white bigots who posted-congratulations on your white privilege-I am sure you will keep doing what you can to keep it.

As veiled as the racism that began this thread topic? Or is that veiled homophobia? Moneyed childless whites sounds like a euphemism for “the gays”.

“problem….. There is really only one strike against the New Urbanism, but it’s a strike thrown by Nolan Ryan: It turns cities into playgrounds for moneyed, childless whites while pushing out the poor, the working-class, immigrants, seniors and anyone else not plugged into “the knowledge economy.”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Speaking of self congratulatory posts, lol.

The 9 out of 10 times I see trash thrown from a car its a black person has more to do with living in a 90% black neighborhood than it does with any racism, veiled or otherwise.

I agree with you, trash has no color and it all needs taken out.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

As veiled as the racism that began this thread topic? Or is that veiled homophobia? Moneyed childless whites sounds like a euphemism for “the gays”.

“problem….. There is really only one strike against the New Urbanism, but it’s a strike thrown by Nolan Ryan: It turns cities into playgrounds for moneyed, childless whites while pushing out the poor, the working-class, immigrants, seniors and anyone else not plugged into “the knowledge economy.”

Bingo.

WJT
    Participant

There were clear references to race in some of the posts as was noted. At one point this thread took an ugly turn. And Moneyed childless whites does not have anything attached to it to make it homophobic-no talk of stereotypes(like the references to thugs, hip-hop, sagging, etc). If there were I would have seen it as I am gay myself.

I am just calling out the few posters who made the obvious references to race. Don’t like it? tough.

Regarding the article itself, yeah it was just as uppity and smug as what it was criticizing and I agree with the posts that support more diversity among neighborhoods whether they be suburban or the Short North- including different ages, races, and income levels in something akin to proximity at least.

We are developing into a society of haves and have nots and I am much much unhappy about that.

And I did not see ‘veiled racism’ in the article. It pointed out for the most part the truth-that wealthy young whites are moving in and the old, the people of color and the people of lesser means are being moved out. They are mostly white and I would guess proportionately they do not represent the 60 some percent of the population that is non-hispanic white-I would imagine the people moving in are are a greater percentage white than that.

thomaspickles
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason Powell wrote:</div>
    To me, an urban renaissance is only successful if everyone has a chance to share in that success. That, so far, has not been the case. Say what you want, but middle and lower incomes are being shut out from this new “luxury” lifestyle due primarily to rents. Just imagine what our urban areas would look like if both of these classes were more easily integrated. (I know, it’s easier said than done. I get it) It’s just another form of class/economic segregation. The only time you get an idea of what a city would look like at maximum integration is during a festival – while walking through the Short North, one can see just about every race and economic class. On any normal day, this is not the case and never will be with current city planning trends/policies (or a lack thereof), politics and general lack of concern for middle and lower income folks, all of which are dictating our inner core neighborhood development.

It needs to be a more balanced approach, and, right now, it’s pretty one-sided.

I would agree. I’m not going to “go there” with some of the implications in the original article posted. But Columbus has to do a much better job at offering affordable housing downtown. Not only does lack of diversity hurt the interesting options we can and should offer for retail. It also really hurts density and attracts residents who won’t part with their cars. I am really, really hoping they don’t duff this one in Franklinton because the character of that neighborhood would be terrific for finally helping bridge that gap a little.

You’re both demonstrating a complete lack of understanding regarding economics, and instead seem to be living in some sort of Sim City/Urban Planner fantasy land. Sorry, but as people prefer to live in a certain area of town, rents will increase regardless of the facilities themselves. Location has always been the most important factor, and you can’t artificially create lower income housing without government subsidized housing and violent government overreach in the private sector.

WJT
    Participant

^^

violent government overreach in the private sector.

Violent government overreach? What are you even talking about? Violent what? And they are creating below market rate ‘workforce’ housing right now in downtown of all places. So yeah they can create ‘artificially’ lower priced housing(not necessarily section 8) but below market rate and I have not seen any government ‘violence’ lol. That is actually something the city has been actively pursuing and if the city decided to do the same thing in Weinland Park or East Franklinton or any other up and coming place, they will.

This whole thread has gone off the rails in all kinds of ways.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

Just the right amount of mixed income to improve “walkability”… That’s the sweet spot!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I am just calling out the few posters who made the obvious references to race. Don’t like it? tough.

I hope you’re also calling out the thread starter in your little round up of offensive posts.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

I hope you’re also calling out the thread starter in your little round up of offensive posts.

I saw a few posts with some attitude and a few references to rich white people that were pretty stereotyped, but far from the worst on the thread-which came a little later…after Walker actually called out the thread starter for stereotyping-before the worst stereotypes and vague references were actually made.

Especially since rich white people have hardly been oppressed for 300 years in this country and are the primary beneficiaries of systemic and institutional racism that still exists in this nation.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I still can’t find that guilt thing I’m supposed to shoulder.

papillon
    papillon
    Participant

I live in my grandparents old house they left to me when they died. It’s not in a nice neighborhood at all. There was a shooting very close to here recently, and I don’t like this neighborhood but I’m going to college and have to live here for now for financial reasons.

I explain that to set up for a story about my grandpa. Two of the neighbors were outside talking to him about how they heard that “some of the gays” were going to move in the neighborhood and how it was going to be a terrible thing to have that influence, and how it would be like a plague.

I can’t remember exactly what he said but it was something like “A plague? What are you worried about? Have you seen how this neighborhood as turned to rot? From what I can see gay people are like anti-locusts. They move in and restore old neighborhoods and make them beautiful. What I wouldn’t give for a whole gang of gay people to move in this neighborhood!”

Anti-locusts made me giggle. He meant it in a nice way, I swear :)

sdbuck1
    sdbuck1
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div><br>

I saw a few posts with some attitude and a few references to rich white people that were pretty stereotyped, but far from the worst on the thread-which came a little later…after Walker actually called out the thread starter for stereotyping-before the worst stereotypes and vague references were actually made.

Especially since rich white people have hardly been oppressed for 300 years in this country and are the primary beneficiaries of systemic and institutional racism that still exists in this nation.

Do you happen to work in academia?

t
    t
    Participant

Everyone wants the same things; a nice roof over one’s head in a safe area where one can walk around the block w/o interrupting a drug purchase, or being accosted, or having your car constantly mined for loose change. There is no pragmatic way to live well below one’s means and not find one’s neighbors conducting their lives in a manner that does not conform to one’s expectations as one educates one’s self and becomes a bit more affluent. It’s economic,not race; live in any poor small town, especially in southern or western Ohio and you’ll be longing for the “gentrification” of 43215. Tis the reason for the realtor’s song “location x 3”; It’s always surprising to me that the “section 8 landlords” hold on as long as they do, when a sale or some rehab would dramatically increase their investment. I’m good with the simple life but when the “entrepreneurs” bring violence to your block it’s time for change.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Everyone wants the same things; a nice roof over one’s head in a safe area where one can walk around the block w/o interrupting a drug purchase, or being accosted, or having your car constantly mined for loose change. There is no pragmatic way to live well below one’s means and not find one’s neighbors conducting their lives in a manner that does not conform to one’s expectations as one educates one’s self and becomes a bit more affluent. It’s economic,not race; live in any poor small town, especially in southern or western Ohio and you’ll be longing for the “gentrification” of 43215. Tis the reason for the realtor’s song “location x 3″; It’s always surprising to me that the “section 8 landlords” hold on as long as they do, when a sale or some rehab would dramatically increase their investment. I’m good with the simple life but when the “entrepreneurs” bring violence to your block it’s time for change.

Incorrect. My house lives absurdly below our means. We are just not a house of idealistic hipsters. We know what we get in our hood. We also don’t care much about things like litter, etc. I will talk around our blocj at night but I’m not bringing a wallet, and my girl doesn’t walk alone. You juts can’t be a dumb moronic hipster that thinks shit is sweet. We don’t own, and have no vested interest. We knew living in Columbus was temporary and wanted to be cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION