Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

Sorry…what exactly is the original point as it relates to Columbus?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Right. My disdain for trash people throwing trash from their cars isn’t something I should ever casually let go. Fuck those trash people with their trash habits indefinitely.

As for litter, I held off posting yesterday. I’ve been around Weinland Park for 15 years. One big eye-opener early-on was the amount of littering. Reluctant to generalize, but perhaps along with hip-hop and wearing pants that fall below your arse, it seems like littering is the welfare class’ way of saying: “Yeah, we don’t give a f*ck”. While things have improved, in Weinland, it can’t be something people do absentmindedly, because it gets so bad you almost trip over it. It can get so thick it sometimes drifts like snow. Seems like people up there would avoid using a trashcan if they fell into one. Sure, littering is kind of like speeding… everyone does it, at least a little, but who wants to live around it if it’s a persistent attitude?

Oh I see it almost daily and it’s absolutely intentional. The sad part is the fuck you they’re throwing out the car windows is mostly fucking themselves and they’re too painfully stupid to realize it.

goldenidea
    Participant

The sad part is the fuck you they’re throwing out the car windows is mostly fucking themselves and they’re too painfully stupid to realize it.

I don’t see how turning one’s entire neighborhood into a trash bin could appeal to anyone, but it does to some. It takes almost no effort to avoid littering in many cases. It’s apathy and a deviant attitude causing it.

Is this a racial or cultural thing? Do areas like West Franklin or areas along S. Parsons also have this kind of litter problem? I haven’t looked too closely but haven’t noticed that they do.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The sad part is the fuck you they’re throwing out the car windows is mostly fucking themselves and they’re too painfully stupid to realize it.

I don’t see how turning one’s entire neighborhood into a trash bin could appeal to anyone, but it does to some. It takes almost no effort to avoid littering in many cases. It’s apathy and a deviant attitude causing it.

Is this a racial or cultural thing? Do areas like West Franklin or areas along S. Parsons also have this kind of litter problem? I haven’t looked too closely but haven’t noticed that they do.

I’m proud to displace these lowlifes. Move up to Morse Road, zero fucks given.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

I wasn’t going to comment, didn’t want this to turn into a thread about litter but yeah I think it’s cultural. I grew up on the south side and even though we were poor I never seen littler like I see now. Ever since moving to the east side the amount of litter we see daily is sickening. I’m talking entire bags of trash thrown out of a car door, right in the middle of the street. It’s crazy. I take a pick-stick with me while walking the dog and pick up trash on our route and when we make our way thru the park the little thugs give me the stink eye like they’re mad at me for messing up their work. I just don’t understand how looking out door and seeing trash could appeal to anyone.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

When neighborhoods suffer from a lack of investment, residents living within those same neighborhoods will take less pride in them. It’s a “why should I care what the street looks like if the city doesn’t care about me” attitude. At least that’s how I see it.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

When neighborhoods suffer from a lack of investment, residents living within those same neighborhoods will take less pride in them. It’s a “why should I care what the street looks like if the city doesn’t care about me” attitude. At least that’s how I see it.

This is a victim-blaming rationalization to let litterbugs off the hook.

If you litter, you are responsible. It’s not magically society’s fault.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

It’s not about the litter bugs, it’s about people who live where the litter bugs are throwing trash. They won’t pick up other people’s trash when it is tossed in front of their home if the rest of the block already looks crappy.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Can we all just get back on topic of blaming white people please?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>spfld_expat wrote:</div>

It’s not about the litter bugs, it’s about people who live where the litter bugs are throwing trash. They won’t pick up other people’s trash when it is tossed in front of their home if the rest of the block already looks crappy.

Different mindset I guess, we have neighbors who will throw a party and the front yard is full of trash. I’d be embarrassed to have someone over with the yard full of trash but they don’t seem to mind. They recently threw an old TV out front, well I guess they never called for a bulk pick up because it sat there for weeks. This past weekend I pulled out their hopper and threw the TV in there because I got tired of looking at it.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Regarding litter/lifestyle and economic culture: It takes only a few jerks in any culture to wreck things for everyone, right?

I mean, if 90% of a community’s residents are super fastidious, and 10% throw all their trash in the street, that’s still lots of trash. I think it’s the 10% that keep things so very economically divided in Columbus.

I notice a similar phenom in education: if you have one kid that acts-out in a class of 25, that’s manageable; 24 kids can still learn. If you have 5 kids who act-out, chaos rules and the other 20 are out-of-luck. 20% can wreck things for 80%. Everyone fails because of the 20%.

I also think that’s where zero-tolerence policies come from. Zero tolerance for litter sounds cool, but when people go to jail for litter . . . that doesn’t play well (there are no pure wins).

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I mean, if 90% of a community’s residents are super fastidious, and 10% throw all their trash in the street, that’s still lots of trash.

That’s exactly what the fishermen say, the 10% who leave litter make them all look bad.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

My response is….. Why are so many people left behind? Perhaps there are choices folks are making that excludes them. Is it really just rich white people holding down other races. Maybe there are cultural choices being made. Ae… “I don’t want to live around white yuppie hipsters” There aren’t deed restrictions anymore. You know that right? The flavor of the day is drumming up racial divides to keep people in the right boxes of thought for voting and pop culture. I think the baby boomers need issues to stay framed according to the zeitgeist from the golden days of their righteousness. Change is certain. Change is happening. You don’t know the outcome.

WJT
    Participant

The veiled racism in this thread is pretty awful. I posted a link to this thread so people could see the references to ‘hip hop’, sagging, little thugs, etc.-all the references to white vs black areas of town. It is disgraceful. I grew up in a working class area and live in one now and it is cultural thing-trashy is trashy and has no color.

The reference to Columbus not turning into ‘Detroit’ is classic. To the white bigots who posted-congratulations on your white privilege-I am sure you will keep doing what you can to keep it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE