Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White City:The new urban blight is rich people

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White City:The new urban blight is rich people

• This topic has 83 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by WJT.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

East Franklinton will look like what’s happening in Italian Village in no time.

I’m still not sure why we call it East and West Franklinton… oh wait, yes I do.

JakeNic
    Participant

I feel zero guilt for being a moneyed childless white living in the city.

Thank you. I resent the fact that the people who have the means to prevent Columbus from becoming Detroit should somehow feel guilt for doing so. “You’re doing your part, but you aren’t sacrificing everything you’ve worked for, so shame! Shame!” BS.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Educating the rich newbies to accept dark skinned folks, poor folks…

I agree completely.

…and some level of nuisance, no parking, petty crime, litter, poor maintenance by the city…

and you’ve lost me.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

…white being a social construct, it is more an attitude of privilege and entitlement, Snarf’s got it right, no guilt, remorse or perspective. Time begins when you bought into the neighborhood. The irony is that many early folks bought into neighborhoods because they were diverse and non homogenized, now the worm has turned and the suburban folks we ran away from have found us and reblanded the neighborhood…

So what? If your neighborhood got gentrified, that means you can now can sell your house in IV, take that sizeable mark-up you earned for being an early-adopter, and go to Franklinton, Hungarian Village or another heterogeneous neighborhood where you can enjoy both the diversity and a nice nest egg for retirement.

hometown
    Participant

Neighborhoods are always changing back and forth. I prefer a balanced mix of income levels, but market forces work against this. It’s a bit ironic, all things considered. The area’s charm is partly due to the architectural memory of a time when the castes lived in closer proximity to one another.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

Columbus wasn’t mentioned in either article, and OP didn’t editorialize or expound locally.

Odd that the thread took such a defensive stance…but I guess that’s how suburbanites must feel about pieces saying the places they live are the worst thing thats happened to our country.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I have no hate for the suburbs or the city. I’ve lived in both kinds of places and there should be choices for people who like different types of neighborhoods. For years and years there were very little choices for people who wanted vibrant, walkable urban neighborhoods in most cities. You either had the suburbs or urban decay. Now there are choices. So, everyone choose what you want and everyone can be happy.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

“Never hear me complain about what I ain’t got, cause if I want it imma go get it.”

-Young Dolph

ImNotaStar
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>
    So the preferred alternative is for rich white people to only live in the suburbs, and poor non-whites to only live in the cities?

That’s not an improvement.

no it is for a more equitable and diverse culture, less enclaves more inclusion…ending tax abatements downtown and the SN for high end housing…if you can pay 400 K+ for a condo you can pay your property taxes. Educating the rich newbies to accept dark skinned folks, poor folks and some level of nuisance, no parking, petty crime, litter, poor maintenance by the city…when rich folk buy into a neighborhood they buy in with money not mindset, that needs to change first.

On the real, you just ignorant bro. You think everyone who makes 100k+ is a douchebag with a 13.1 sticker? All kinds of people in this world, plenty of us ignorant as fuck. It is 2016, and not 1950, not everyone who does well for themselves is a cornball.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>
    Educating the rich newbies to accept dark skinned folks, poor folks…

I agree completely.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>
    …and some level of nuisance, no parking, petty crime, litter, poor maintenance by the city…

and you’ve lost me.

Right. My disdain for trash people throwing trash from their cars isn’t something I should ever casually let go. Fuck those trash people with their trash habits indefinitely.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

BTW they would toss trash in my old Kenny/Henderson neighborhood, too. Morning sun and White Castle paper in the street, maybe some beer containers. People who will litter don’t care where they do it; once the trash leaves the hand it simply doesn’t exist anymore to them. Only to the rest of us.

goldenidea
    Participant

Right. My disdain for trash people throwing trash from their cars isn’t something I should ever casually let go. Fuck those trash people with their trash habits indefinitely.

As for litter, I held off posting yesterday. I’ve been around Weinland Park for 15 years. One big eye-opener early-on was the amount of littering. Reluctant to generalize, but perhaps along with hip-hop and wearing pants that fall below your arse, it seems like littering is the welfare class’ way of saying: “Yeah, we don’t give a f*ck”. While things have improved, in Weinland, it can’t be something people do absentmindedly, because it gets so bad you almost trip over it. It can get so thick it sometimes drifts like snow. Seems like people up there would avoid using a trashcan if they fell into one. Sure, littering is kind of like speeding… everyone does it, at least a little, but who wants to live around it if it’s a persistent attitude?

wpcc88
    Participant

As for litter, I held off posting yesterday. I’ve been around Weinland Park for 15 years. One big eye-opener early-on was the amount of littering. Reluctant to generalize, but perhaps along with hip-hop and wearing pants that fall below your arse, it seems like littering is the welfare class’ way of saying: “Yeah, we don’t give a f*ck”. While things have improved, in Weinland, it can’t be something people do absentmindedly, because it gets so bad you almost trip over it. It can get so thick it sometimes drifts like snow. Seems like people up there would avoid using a trashcan if they fell into one. Sure, littering is kind of like speeding… everyone does it, at least a little, but who wants to live around it if it’s a persistent attitude?

I witnessed someone throw out a fast food bag at Warren & Kerr while walking to High Street. I just stared at the person who dumped it out of their car until they made the turn like “wtf?” I know people don’t like to have trash in their car but I don’t like to have it on our streets, it was the most ignorantly blatant thing I’ve seen someone do.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Side note, on the fishing discussion board there’s a lot of disrespect for people who leave litter on the riverbanks. Many of those members bring extra bags and clean up someone else’s trash.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Side note, on the fishing discussion board there’s a lot of disrespect for people who leave litter on the riverbanks. Many of those members bring extra bags and clean up someone else’s trash.

I think there’s a fairly high correlation between the amount of alcohol consumed while fishing and the amount of litter left behind after fishing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE