Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

At least there is no setback. I actually liked the idea of turning this back into a park, but this may be about the best we could expect from such a shallow lot.

At this point this project may merit its own thread:

Shops at Arcadia and High

substance
    Participant

One story? I don’t get it. This is High Street, easy to get downtown or campus and plenty of shopping nearby. Everything on High Street should be 3 stories.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Is the Clintonville Area Commission really that stubborn to not allow anything more than one story on High Street? I don’t really get it. This would be a perfect location for high density residential since it is so close to not one, but two grocery stores – the destination that typically warrants the most car trips per week, other than employment.

Such a (another) lost opportunity.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ll admit that personally I was partial to the (admittedly far-fetched) park idea. I thought daylighting Glen Echo through here would have been a great project.

Pablo
    Participant

I don’t believe this project has been presented to either commission. Since the property straddles the line, both the University and Clintonville Area Commissions have a say. I don’t believe anyone has dictated a one story building, I imagine whomever is developing this property is suggesting this layout. Of course, I might be wrong…

heresthecasey
    Participant

Maybe the strip mall isn’t such a sure thing after all? This article is in this week’s Booster,

Grant-funded study looks into Glen Echo connecter trail

A $17,000 grant from the Columbus Foundation’s Green Funds, awarded last week to the Coalition United for Glen Echo Ravine, is being called a step in the right direction toward a trail to connect Glen Echo Park with the Olentangy River.

The president of the Lower Olentangy Urban Arboretum, one of seven organizations that makes up the coalition, said the money will be used to pay for a feasibility study that will in turn indicate whether it might be possible to raise the funds needed for the project, which could range from $1 million to $1.2 million for construction of the walking trail and from $1.5 million to $2 million for land acquisition.

The latter would include the North High Street site of a former White Castle restaurant that straddles the border between Clintonville and the University District.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2014/06/16/grant-funded-study-looks-into-glen-echo-connecter-trail.html

News
    Participant

Restaurant and Retail Planned for Former White Castle Site in Clintonville
    July 3, 2014 7:30 am – Brent Warren

A local developer is looking for retail tenants for a new development at the former White Castle site in Clintonville. The site, located at 2725 North High Street, has also attracted the interest of a coalition of organizations looking to uncover Glen Echo Creek and construct a nature trail along it.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/restaurant-and-retail-planned-for-former-white-castle-site-in-clintonville-bw1

News
    Participant

Study to Look at Glen Echo Trail, Restoring Ravine Along High Street
    July 3, 2014 7:30 am – Brent Warren

A coalition of organizations looking to build a trail along Glen Echo Creek has received a $17,000 grant to assess funding possibilities for the project. Whether that project will include acquiring the former White Castle site at 2725 North High Street – where a retail center has been proposed – is an open question.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/study-to-look-at-glen-echo-trail-restoring-ravine-along-high-street-bw1

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

Received $17,000 to find ways to raise more than $17,000?

DouginCMH
    Participant

So yesterday morning I noticed a workman removing the NAI Ohio Equities sign from this lot (the one advertising space in the Shops at Arcadia strip mall). It’s just a vacant lot now. It seems a bit odd that the sign would come down before any construction on the site even began.

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE