Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author

byJody
    Participant

@alexs RE: Bethel Rally’s. Finally movement this week. Looks like they are preserving the kitchen area only and building (who knows what) around it.

Progress I suppose.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder if that’s some form of grandfathering. I’ve seen that elsewhere; you can’t replace a building but you can demolish all but a little bit, then rebuild what you want, and technically it’s still the same structure.

For example, a few years ago I saw people doing that around Indian Lake because new construction had to have sewer connections. They could ‘remodel’ an existing structure and keep their septic service.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Yep, Goody Boy in the Short North has been demo’d almost completely. One wall was kept in keeping with the historic regulations. Goody Boy was a used car dealership before, seems kind if silly.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    Yep, Goody Boy in the Short North has been demo’d almost completely. One wall was kept in keeping with the historic regulations. Goody Boy was a used car dealership before, seems kind if silly.

maybe this deserves its own thread, does anyone have the design for the new place. I like the old frontage and am glad they saved it, the interior was also classic too bad it is gone, ah progress.

Lakee911
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    I wonder if that’s some form of grandfathering. I’ve seen that elsewhere; you can’t replace a building but you can demolish all but a little bit, then rebuild what you want, and technically it’s still the same structure.
    For example, a few years ago I saw people doing that around Indian Lake because new construction had to have sewer connections. They could ‘remodel’ an existing structure and keep their septic service.

Sometimes there are incentives to remodel and add-on to a structure than to tear it down completely and build new. I don’t know if that’s the case here or not.

White Castle generaly doesn’t like their stores to be repurposed and it was scheduled for demo.

It was recently sold. It wasn’t on the market very long and they paid above asking price. I’m not sure who purchased it.

Jason

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The White Castle at Kenny and Henderson was replaced by a newer version. They also did that with the McDonald’s farther up Henderson, and the Taco Bell on Billingsley.

I wonder what the reason is, some small increase in operating efficiency?

Lakee911
    Participant

jennyw
    Participant

What a great photo, Lakee911–thanks for sharing it. While it has been years since I patronized that White Castle, I’ll be sorry to see it go.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I remember parking behind the place, and some guy tried to sell me jewelry on the way in.

Lakee911
    Participant

jennyw wrote >>
    What a great photo, Lakee911–thanks for sharing it. While it has been years since I patronized that White Castle, I’ll be sorry to see it go.

I might have my facts incorrect, but I think there is another photo somewhere that shows the shop from Cleveland Ave (if I recall correctly) on a truck coming down Arcadia and passing it’s cousin in Clintonville. I think it was being moved to a museum…maybe the first store or something.

ehill27
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>

lizless wrote >>

maybe this deserves its own thread, does anyone have the design for the new place. I like the old frontage and am glad they saved it, the interior was also classic too bad it is gone, ah progress.

Michael’s Goody Boy to become Jimmy V’s

pez
    Participant

byJody wrote >>

@alexs
    RE: Bethel Rally’s. Finally movement this week. Looks like they are preserving the kitchen area only and building (who knows what) around it.

Progress I suppose.

I’m thinking that this might be Raising Canes, but no guarantees.

tolemac5050
    Participant

Word is the old Rally’s Bethel/Sawmill will be a greek breakfast/lunch place.

Pablo
    Participant

Demolition of the building began this morning.

Maybe the site can be used as overflow parking for the Hustler store next door. :)

GCrites80s
    Participant

Rally’s locations always seem to be poorly constructed and/or made with crappy materials.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: