Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)
  • Author

cc

That is a donation center (like the one a couple blocks away at the Northwest Ave Kroger) so people from Upper Arlington/Grandview/Marble Cliff do not have to walk far to donate their ‘old’ clothes to the people of Clintonville ;)

futureman wrote >>
    Didn’t they also open a goodwill center on 5th around Glenn ave? Must be all those poor people from Upper Arlington and Grandview/Marble Heights needing some new clothes :)

zp945
    Participant

I heard a rumor that a developer tried to buy the White Castle and Tan Pro lots, but the owner of Tan Pro doesn’t want to sell right now.

Cats With Thumbs
    Participant

Just because the area has seen improvement in recent years doesn’t mean it couldn’t use some more. That whole plaza (as well as the property across the street) has so much more potential. That parking lot is always 90% empty and the two businesses across the street just closed, so something must not be right there. Just a few blocks to the north are some great examples of what it could be (small stores, restaurants/bars, etc). I’m no planner though, so I guess I’ll just continue reading this thread for more knowledgable people’s ideas.

And as for stuff in the neighborhood that I’ve seen, my boyfriend lived right off Arcadia and East last year…drunks on corners puking at 3:00 in the afternoon, and loud fights on a regular basis at 3:00 a.m. My boyfriend’s roommate came home one evening and saw neighbors having sex on top of their car.

For the most part, this area is nice and it’s my neighborhood too!! But I think it’s turning a blind eye to say it’s not a little rough around the edges…

cc

There are definitely some hard core drunks in the area, probably due to the plasma center down the street. On occasion I would have to roust passed out drunks (with handles of cheap vodka) from my girlfriend’s yard.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

I’m sorry, but sex on top of a car. That is hilarious and a M/C priceless commercial.

Cover: $5
    Beer for the night: $17
    Coming home and seeing your sister getting nailed on your 82′ Dodge: Priceless

lifeliberty
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>
    2 words: Plasma Center

I agree, that is the worst business in the area. but everything else is fine. We tried moving to that area last fall, but we postponed til spring, i hope we can find something. i don’t see how the Goodwill being there is a bad thing, I love that place. In fact, I was there last night! the turkey hill is nice, the CVS is nice, and though I don’t eat there, the graffiti burger is nice. white castle had to go and I’m sure something will go in before the place is totally tagged.

I’m just saying there is development there, but an entire overhaul of the area is not warrented.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

pspock wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    I’m very familiar with the area an have been for 20 years. South of Arcadia to hudson has changed dramatically. I e pomeroy, Duncan etc. Sounds Like your not that familiar with the area.

I put myself through college at OSU by delivering pizzas in the area. Perhaps it looks fine to you on the outside, but what’s on the other side of many front doors in that area ain’t pretty. There a good reason that there is a Goodwill store there, several businesses closings in less than a year along that short strip of High, and graffiti all over the old White Castle.

How long ago were you delivering pizzas. Yeah I remember in the early 90s how franklintonesqe it was. It’s changed quite a bit.

cyclist II
    Participant

Cats With Thumbs wrote >>

And as for stuff in the neighborhood that I’ve seen, my boyfriend lived right off Arcadia and East last year…drunks on corners puking at 3:00 in the afternoon, and loud fights on a regular basis at 3:00 a.m. My boyfriend’s roommate came home one evening and saw neighbors having sex on top of their car.

cool

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

The Hudson St crips and most of the thieving hillbillies are gone. That is a huge improvement. Used to be very violent around there. Now it seems to be post college drunks.

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    The Hudson St crips and most of the thieving hillbillies are gone. That is a huge improvement. Used to be very violent around there. Now it seems to be post college drunks.

I had a friend who lived in that area for a bit growing up, in the 80s, his next door neighbor pimped out her daughter and eventully sold her for crack.

TailgateJeff
    Participant

Driving past the closed White Castle on my way home tonight, it looks like someone has tried to remove the “artwork”. Couldn’t get a picture but it didn’t work very well.

hivner1

I think they did an excellent job with the Turkey Hill gas station. This could be a useful model for incorporating a Turkey Hill into the vacant lot at 5th and High and not making it look super gas station-y.

lifeliberty wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>
    2 words: Plasma Center

I agree, that is the worst business in the area. but everything else is fine. We tried moving to that area last fall, but we postponed til spring, i hope we can find something. i don’t see how the Goodwill being there is a bad thing, I love that place. In fact, I was there last night! the turkey hill is nice, the CVS is nice, and though I don’t eat there, the graffiti burger is nice. white castle had to go and I’m sure something will go in before the place is totally tagged.
    I’m just saying there is development there, but an entire overhaul of the area is not warrented.

lifeliberty
    Participant

TailgateJeff wrote >>
    Driving past the closed White Castle on my way home tonight, it looks like someone has tried to remove the “artwork”. Couldn’t get a picture but it didn’t work very well.

i didn’t look last night, but it’s probably too cold for coverup paint right now.

TailgateJeff
    Participant

Drove by the White Castle tonight and all the artwork had been removed. Wonder how long before it’s tagged again?

mazzyD

Looks like they are planning to demo the building.

(it’s the second story in the linked article)
    http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/clintonville/stories/2011/03/16/wine-bistro-variance-request-delayed.html?sid=104

The application that would clear the way for Spaulding Demolition and Evacuation Inc. of Columbus to tear down the defunct White Castle notes that the 60 days expires on May 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: