Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Chris Sherman wrote >>

pspock wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>
    I don’t typically wish for businesses to close unless they are causing social harm. But now that White Castle is closed along with its Tanning Booth neighbor, I honestly wish the whole block (Tim Hortons, Goodwill, Post Office, China Buffet) would be razed and redone. For such a dynamic neighborhood, its supposed “gateway” is a terrible eyesore. Looks like a failed suburb.

Go up the hill on Arcadia and turn right down any street of your choice, and look around.

I don’t get it?

Poster seems to be saying it is a suburb, possibly failed.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>

pspock wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>
    I don’t typically wish for businesses to close unless they are causing social harm. But now that White Castle is closed along with its Tanning Booth neighbor, I honestly wish the whole block (Tim Hortons, Goodwill, Post Office, China Buffet) would be razed and redone. For such a dynamic neighborhood, its supposed “gateway” is a terrible eyesore. Looks like a failed suburb.

Go up the hill on Arcadia and turn right down any street of your choice, and look around.

I don’t get it?

Neither do I. To clarify, I was referring to the ugly ‘shopping center’ with the huge parking lot, and the defunct White Castle and Tan Pro. It was a long way of saying that I wish someone would come in and get that area rezoned and redeveloped so that there is better cohesion between Old North and South Clintonville. Just an early morning rant.

I agree with you about the unsightliness. I think he was referring to the neighborhood east up arcadia, which is far from a failed suburb.

Pablo
    Participant

hivner1 wrote >>

I couldn’t agree more. This area was called out as a potential development site in the most recent Clintonville area plan. I believe the shopping center on the east side of the site is owned by Plaza Properties – the same people who created the Bexley gateway on E. Main.

Now that the other side is vacant too, a mixed use project could be on both sides of the street. Olentangy Village could create expand to High St. with shops below and apartments above. On the east side there could be the same thing on High but become more residential (apartments or condos) towards the ravine. A very nice park entrance could be created to Glen Echo – there’s been talk of building a trail through the ravine from Indianola to High. Too bad I don’t have the cash and development experiance to make it happen! I could see the Clintonville Area Commission opposing improvements as well…..

Lakee911
    Participant

I believe they would be for it provided that it fits Clintonville.

Antonio

Can never understand why White Castle never had a location diectly on High right across from Campus. Even if it was just carryout service only.

Cheap sliders and OSU students seem to go hand in hand.

pspock
    Participant

Chris Sherman wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>

pspock wrote >>

hivner1 wrote >>

I don’t get it?

Neither do I. To clarify, I was referring to the ugly ‘shopping center’ with the huge parking lot, and the defunct White Castle and Tan Pro. It was a long way of saying that I wish someone would come in and get that area rezoned and redeveloped so that there is better cohesion between Old North and South Clintonville. Just an early morning rant.

I agree with you about the unsightliness. I think he was referring to the neighborhood east up arcadia, which is far from a failed suburb.

There is a good reason for the location of the Goodwill store there.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

I’m very familiar with the area an have been for 20 years. South of Arcadia to hudson has changed dramatically. I e pomeroy, Duncan etc. Sounds Like your not that familiar with the area.

cc

When at OSU I had a love/hate relationship with that chinese buffet. I am still nostalgic, but not enough to risk going back.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    When at OSU I had a love/hate relationship with that chinese buffet. I am still nostalgic, but not enough to risk going back.

Ate there last week. They have several pork dishes which i like. Most Asian buffets predominantly use chicken.

hivner1

Not to overlap too many threads, but it is hilarious to me to see White Castle all bombed out with graf and to hear the tired justifications for why people write graf. What was “RENO’s” beef with White Castle? Did RENO not know that WC has really small burgers? Does RENO read a lot of Eric Schlosser? Perhaps RENO also hates ugly city planning.

As someone who wrote graffiti in high school, I recall using the same tired justifications for defacing other people’s property (ya down?), we all did. We were all ego-tripping masked with in some social cause. Truth is, we wanted to be the most well known writer doing the most tags and ‘throw-ups’ in the most bold adventurous, risky locations. I regret the damage done. If RENO is for real- let’s see him bomb multiple, active McD’s or the Statehouse or the downtown police headquarters. Then I’ll pay attention to this tired rationale.

pspock
    Participant

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    I’m very familiar with the area an have been for 20 years. South of Arcadia to hudson has changed dramatically. I e pomeroy, Duncan etc. Sounds Like your not that familiar with the area.

I put myself through college at OSU by delivering pizzas in the area. Perhaps it looks fine to you on the outside, but what’s on the other side of many front doors in that area ain’t pretty. There a good reason that there is a Goodwill store there, several businesses closings in less than a year along that short strip of High, and graffiti all over the old White Castle.

hivner1

pspock wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>

I put myself through college at OSU by delivering pizzas in the area. Perhaps it looks fine to you on the outside, but what’s on the other side of many front doors in that area ain’t pretty. There a good reason that there is a Goodwill store there, several businesses closings in less than a year along that short strip of High, and graffiti all over the old White Castle.

2 words: Plasma Center

futureman
    Participant

Didn’t they also open a goodwill center on 5th around Glenn ave? Must be all those poor people from Upper Arlington and Grandview/Marble Heights needing some new clothes :)

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

My front door happens to be in this area. It’s just me and other hard-working class pizza eaters as far as I can tell. And I love to shop at that Goodwill. I’m aware of a strong neighborhood association presence (UAC) and many long time residents. Love to know what you witnessed delivering pizzas over here?

TailgateJeff
    Participant

Like any urban area, you’ll have the good and the bad. I’ve lived in the area for 13 years and have seen a slow but steady improvement.

I’ve seen a number of homes in the area go from rental property to owner occupied. Many of the rentals in the area don’t belong to large rental outfits, but individual owners that may have a couple of campus area rentals. Many rental owners live in the area.

I’ve wondered if the former White Castle/old tanning salon property was going to be redeveloped together as some kind of mixed retail and rental appartments like the Pet People/Clintonville Outfitters just up the street. Both of these buildings back up to a ravine, so redevelopment would be somewhat of a challenge.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: