Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Closing Clintonville / North Campus Location

This topic contains 99 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  DouginCMH 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author

hungrywoolf
    Participant

I noticed this in The Other Paper today

Bad news for cravers

White Castle’s No. 4 restaurant is about to slide into history. The 81-year-old landmark at 2725 N. High St., just south of Clintonville, will close its doors for good at 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

In commemoration, a “customer appreciation lunch” is planned from noon to 1 p.m. today (Dec. 23), with freebies for alums of old North High School.

surber17
    Participant

ah, was hoping it was the one in short north. dont get me wrong, I want White Castle to do well and i have no issue with there being one in short north, i just dont like the amount of space its taking up.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If the KFC closed across the street and turned into Graffiti Burger…

…does this mean we should expect a Five Guys to take the White Castle spot?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    If the KFC closed across the street and turned into Graffiti Burger…
    …does this mean we should expect a Five Guys to take the White Castle spot?

Of course, you know what that would mean.

BURGER WAR.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Or at least the continuation of BURGER WARS…

http://tinyurl.com/5xnw-burger-warz

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Or at least the continuation of BURGER WARS…
    http://tinyurl.com/5xnw-burger-warz

That shows a considerable DMZ between the combatants.

Right across the street from each other, though? Trench warfare man…

GCrites80s
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it will come down. White Castle doesn’t like its buildings to be repurposed for anything, lest the buildings become undignified or wind up on notfoolinganybody.com. They got pretty bent out of shape when these folks in Orient bought one of their buildings, moved it down there and put it next to a bunch of other relocated buildings such as an old church and some Wild West-looking building.

cyclist II
    Participant

surber17 wrote >>
    ah, was hoping it was the one in short north. dont get me wrong, I want White Castle to do well and i have no issue with there being one in short north, i just dont like the amount of space its taking up.

I love White Castle and frequent the SN one often, but yeah there are 34 seats inside the SN location and more than 34 parking spaces in the lot. I’ve never seen the lot half full. The only people parking there are employees, cops, and the old men that hang out in the parking out with lawn chairs.

Talcott

That’s sad news. Sometimes you just need White Castle, and there’s not much out there like it (other than other locations, and Krystal if you’re being technical). I feel like White Castle and Graffiti Burger are so different that they’re not really in competition, and it’s nice knowing that they’re both nearby options. While I haven’t had Five Guys, and can’t comment on the food, it wouldn’t add much to the area now that Graffiti Burger is here. Not that that means they won’t open one, I’d just rather something else moved in. That would be a great location for an amazing Indian or Mexican restaurant (he says hopefully).

If nothing else, given that it’s a relatively historic location, I would really like to see the building saved somehow.

Actually, that could be a great location for a White Castle museum.

cc

I just hope it doesn’t become a Walgreens.

cyclist II
    Participant

Talcott wrote >>
    That’s sad news. Sometimes you just need White Castle, and there’s not much out there like it (other than other locations, and Krystal if you’re being technical). I feel like White Castle and Graffiti Burger are so different that they’re not really in competition, and it’s nice knowing that they’re both nearby options. While I haven’t had Five Guys, and can’t comment on the food, it wouldn’t add much to the area now that Graffiti Burger is here. Not that that means they won’t open one, I’d just rather something else moved in. That would be a great location for an amazing Indian or Mexican restaurant (he says hopefully).
    If nothing else, given that it’s a relatively historic location, I would really like to see the building saved somehow.

+1. Krystals are nowhere as tasty as sliders. White Castle makes one of the most unique products in the food world. They are not competitors to any other chain.

cc

Just thinking, it would stink to lose your job on Christmas Eve. Even if it is in fastfood.

cyclist II
    Participant

Just had some bacon cheeseburgers, clam strips, and fries. Super good.

Mr. Peabody

Talcott wrote >>

That’s where the Ohio Historical Society comes in; the WC archives are kept there, and currently, there’s a WC exhibit on the plaza level – the link below says it was supposed to come down in 07, but a smaller version of it is still up.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=11981.0

Selected images from the collection can be found here:

http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/ohiopix/search.cfm

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Would make a great Greek restaurant. Pretty sure the one on Livingston near Brice recently became a Greek restaurant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO