Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Headquarters Development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion White Castle Headquarters Development

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I wonder if White Castle would relocate to the office portion of the new building on High? It already has plans to feature probably the nicest White Castle ever. Plus they owned the land so they could have worked something out in the development agreement.

Also, I know we’re quick to knock things down in Columbus, but in my opinion the existing building is nothing special. I think “landmark” is an extreme overstatement.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m pretty sure this has been mentioned in earlier threads, White Castle has their Porcelain Steel Buildings division and that building is an example of that type of construction. If they demolish it, they’ll have a lot of recyclable metal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if White Castle would relocate to the office portion of the new building on High?

Their building on Goodale is 189,000 square feet of space according to the Auditor’s website.

The new Short North building only contains 12,000 square feet of office space.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>
    I wonder if White Castle would relocate to the office portion of the new building on High?

Their building on Goodale is 189,000 square feet of space according to the Auditor’s website.

The new Short North building only contains 12,000 square feet of office space.

Is that 189,000 including warehouses or just the offices?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is that 189,000 including warehouses or just the offices?

I’m not 100% sure, but I’ll ask Anne. Back in college she worked for a filing company and did a bit of work in that building. ;) She said they had a cafeteria in the basement that served White Castle food and the smell permeated the entire building. ;)

wpcc88
    Participant

I’m not 100% sure, but I’ll ask Anne. Back in college she worked for a filing company and did a bit of work in that building. ;) She said they had a cafeteria in the basement that served White Castle food and the smell permeated the entire building. ;)

That sounds like the best/worst thing ever!.. That being said a fair guess would be around 200 people, much of those buildings seem to be warehouse space. I think the space in the Borror development is still going to be too small to accommodate them but you never know.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

My guess is that we’ll see White Castle keep its HQ on location, that we’ll see a White Castle restaurant open up, and that the rest of the acreage will be mixed use residential, office, retail, etc.

That view could be nice for a hotel, too.

ohbr
    Participant

No matter what’s built, can it be disigned with more castle elements and be called The [White] Castle on a Hill? Even if it was a stadium, which is very unlikely, how cool would a castle themed design be? Lol

On a serious note about a stadium. Using the new KC Sporting stadium as a model, it actually fits better into that spot than the current crew stadium. As far fetched as it is, a stadium with a riverside plaza, mixed use, underground parking, (or parking railroad adjacent) and arena district access would be the best opportunity for a new stadium. Unfortunately White Castle and Elford would have no interest or reason to have interest in that concept. This is the one of the few places downtown adjacent I’d be ok with a new stadium. The other would be north of green lawn where all those warehouses and miscellaneous businesses are, again with riverfront access and great views. (I wonder if that are will ever be built up but I believe it’s inside the flood wall so I doubt it will happen).

WJT
    Participant

My guess is that we’ll see White Castle keep its HQ on location, that we’ll see a White Castle restaurant open up, and that the rest of the acreage will be mixed use residential, office, retail, etc.

I predict six story stick builds, max. Oh well. Such is life. Hopefully whatever they build is well designed and with quality materials.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>

I predict six story stick builds, max. Oh well. Such is life. Hopefully whatever they build is well designed and with quality materials.

I’m not too worried about height at this location. Function is much more important to me here.

Mike88
    Participant

Also, I know we’re quick to knock things down in Columbus, but in my opinion the existing building is nothing special. I think “landmark” is an extreme overstatement.

I was thinking the same thing. Is this place That iconic? I honestly never considered it anything other than a goofy building that looked worn out.

On a serious note about a stadium. Using the new KC Sporting stadium as a model, it actually fits better into that spot than the current crew stadium. As far fetched as it is, a stadium with a riverside plaza, mixed use, underground parking, (or parking railroad adjacent) and arena district access would be the best opportunity for a new stadium.

I love this and I agree with this entirely.

Unfortunately White Castle and Elford would have no interest or reason to have interest in that concept.

And Sadly I think this is 100% the truth.

We can dream sweet dreams though.

Ned23
    Participant

I wonder if White Castle would relocate to the office portion of the new building on High? It already has plans to feature probably the nicest White Castle ever. Plus they owned the land so they could have worked something out in the development agreement.

The difference is that if you showed someone a picture of the White Castle HQ, they would know that building is in Columbus. If you showed them a picture of the new SN building on the White Castle site, no one would have any idea what city that might be. That’s why I liked the original quirky white building instead, that would have been unique to Columbus. Columbus is losing its uniqueness, IMO. Every strip of new apartments looks like every other in who knows what city.

The only thing that might prompt a higher build in this particular site is the view of the skyline. That would be worth money to the people on the top floors.

wpcc88
    Participant

Honestly that uniqueness in other cities comes from century old buildings. Columbus is a relatively new city when it comes to that and our core neighborhoods are actual houses versus row houses in Chicago for example. Another example, Land Rover USA posted a picture of a new Range Rover Sport a few months back that was taken by a professional photographer in German Village. I could tell without any doubt that it was in German Village, so that just goes to prove we do have a distinctive stock of housing, despite the new projects not being up to everyone’s liking.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Back in college she worked for a filing company and did a bit of work in that building. ;)

Posole
    Participant

Honestly that uniqueness in other cities comes from century old buildings.

I dunno about that, I think if you showed someone the Wexner Center for the Arts, or the Main St bridge, or COSI they would probably be able to tell those were in Columbus. Remember the fad of building weird, melty buildings in the 90s? Like In Cincinnati they built the Vontz building. There’s no mistaking where that is:

Vontz Center for Molecular Studies

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: