Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

White Castle Breakfast

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining White Castle Breakfast

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Dish Deathmatch: Drive-Thru Breakfast Battle Royale

Published on January 9, 2014 6:00 am

By: Miriam Bowers Abbott

When Wendy’s pulled back from the breakfast marketplace last year, pundits blamed the mega-force which is McDonald’s for the local chain’s failure to thrive. Diners were just too entrenched in the McMuffin’s goodness to venture elsewhere and try new things.

But there’s another locally-based chain that’s taking a whack at McDonald’s morning market share, and Ronald should be afraid, very afraid.

That chain is at White Castle. While some might love it for the onion burgers served at 2am, the Castle’s morning breakfast menu is a whole new game.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/dish-deathmatch-drive-thru-breakfast-battle-royale-ma1

Mister Shifter
    Participant

With how popular their coffee is, I’m surprised it took them this long.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I have to admit, that looks more like diner food than fast food. Pretty impressive really.

melikecheese
    Participant

I really like WC breakfast, its been my wife and I’s go to Thanksgiving breakfast for the last 2 years. They have had breakfast for awhile..unless it was a limited release.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels said:
    I have to admit, that looks more like diner food than fast food. Pretty impressive really.

+1

I haven’t tried it yet, but that sandwich looks like something I’d make for myself at home. Color me intrigued.

geoyui
    Participant

The WC sandwich looks a little light on the toppings. I see a lot more bread then egg/sausage.

derm
    derm
    Participant

They will pry my one buck sausage biscuit and hash browns out of my cold dead greasy fingers. And they might actually.

You can blame my bad photography, if the WC offering looks wimpy. It might have fared better, visually, if I’d opted for a bun -but the toast part was a big winner for me.

Mostly, though, I’m a sucky photographer.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Miriam Bowers Abbott said:
    You can blame my bad photography, if the WC offering looks wimpy. It might have fared better, visually, if I’d opted for a bun -but the toast part was a big winner for me.

Doesn’t look bad at all, really.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Miriam, consider getting a little tabletop tripod like this one.

That steady-hand thing is killer. I’m not afraid to ask a stupid question: what sort of camera does an “accidental photographer” put on top of that? I’m thinking my iphone would look sorta odd.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

You lost me at phone, I use a camera. I don’t know if you can put a phone on a tripod, probably not.

Nice report, anyway, thanks.

geoyui
    Participant

Miriam Bowers Abbott said:

Totally wasn’t critiquing your camera skills ;) I’d still eat both (I am a WC fan) but I’d pick the McMuffin over WC just because the meat/egg ratio to bread is so much greater.

Besides, reality never measures up to advertised.

1) Those burger pix make me feel much better about how my samples worked out.

2) I totally own my lack of photography skills. First, because it’s better than thinking I’m the next AnnieLeibovitz. Second, because Walker keeps having to rescue/edit the photos of chocolate I send; they all look like turds.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

My sister once said “It has to look big to show up on television” and that carries over to so much food photography. Not just stacked sandwiches, but any platter or bowl has to be filled above the brim beyond practicality. Look at the KFC buckets, the pieces are stacked so high that you couldn’t put the lid on. Add some digitized steam, and grab the car keys!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE