Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where's the ideal location for Near East Side Food Co-Op?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Where’s the ideal location for Near East Side Food Co-Op?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker wrote >>
    More importantly, have these groups of outsiders asked people in the neighborhoods of the near east side where they would like to shop?

Who’s an outsider?

Quite a few of the people in this discussion are residents of the near east side. We’re discussing where we want to shop RIGHT HERE.

That being said, I’d love something that not only serves as a functional neighborhood amenity, but also something that can draw outsiders from the rest of the region to come shop and spend money and time in this area.

Parker
    Participant

Walker, I know you live on the east side so I wouldn’t discuss this with the group in the “third person”. The outsiders to which I was referring are organizations who get involved but are not residents.

Many organizations are well intended, but are in fact outsiders who need to speak to people in the community, specifically to people who they want to serve, help, develop. It’s good to see the Circle 77 participation in this project, and hopefully they will be empowered to lead it. So, please excuse my skepticism and don’t mistake it for cynicism. I’m not sure a regional draw is what will serve the needs of the neighborhood since businesses structured to meet local need and those aimed toward a regional draw are likely to conflict. But, I suppose that depends on how it is structured. If there are opportunities for residents to sell at the market/coop, a wider draw could benefit neighbors.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I wonder how cooperative the owner of the trolly building is.

Mercurius
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Minnie McGee – she works at OSU in the engineering school doing minority affairs and also seems to be somewhat of a slum lord. She didn’t know that the building used to be a street car barn and is not looking to sell it. It’s currently (as of a year ago) being leased to Columbus Public Schools for school bus maintenance/storage. I’d bet that if she was offered more money than CPS is currently giving, she would be happy to have a new tenant.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker wrote >>
    I’m not sure a regional draw is what will serve the needs of the neighborhood since businesses structured to meet local need and those aimed toward a regional draw are likely to conflict. But, I suppose that depends on how it is structured.

Definitely something to be mindful of, but I think it’s achievable. The North Market’s base “grocery” customer comes from closer proximity while the weekend shopper or event attendee comes from a large radius out into the region. I think something that plays to both strengths could work in a similar fashion on the near east side.

Snarf wrote >>

It’s the Columbus Compact Corporation, who is incredible engaged in the Near East Side community and has a pretty impressive list of both planned and completed development projects under their belts:

http://www.colscompact.com/realestate.html

They’ve also been soliciting the community for ideas and input on what to do with the Trolley Barn:

Ideas Sought for Franklin Park Trolley Barn Project

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

She is 100% a slumlord and owns dozens upon dozens of shitty minimally maintained homes in my neighborhood (thus keeping the neighborhood looking run down.) I hate that she owns this trolley property.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Parker wrote >>
    I’m not sure a regional draw is what will serve the needs of the neighborhood since businesses structured to meet local need and those aimed toward a regional draw are likely to conflict. But, I suppose that depends on how it is structured.

Definitely something to be mindful of, but I think it’s achievable. The North Market’s base “grocery” customer comes from closer proximity while the weekend shopper or event attendee comes from a large radius out into the region. I think something that plays to both strengths could work in a similar fashion on the near east side.

Snarf wrote >>

It’s the Columbus Compact Corporation, who is incredible engaged in the Near East Side community and has a pretty impressive list of both planned and completed development projects under their belts:

http://www.colscompact.com/realestate.html

They’ve also been soliciting the community for ideas and input on what to do with the Trolley Barn:

Ideas Sought for Franklin Park Trolley Barn Project

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hrm. I thought CCC owned the property, but I probably just assumed that somewhere.

Mercurius
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Hrm. I thought CCC owned the property, but I probably just assumed that somewhere.

Yeah, it kinda makes me wonder about CCC. They don’t own the lot across the street where those condos were supposed to be built either? This is the owner of that:
    http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/pls/bsqry/f?p=100:7:2922146426298129::NO:7:P7_CHARTER_NUM:1476278

rightgood

I think y’all should consider the spot across from Blackburn Park on E Main. (http://goo.gl/oc8B7 ) the buildings were renovated and have remained largely unused for several years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Officials hope to rescue old trolley site
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 03:12 AM
    BY MARK FERENCHIK
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A complex of buildings that once housed Columbus streetcars did not endure the winter well. Freezing and thawing and age have loosened bricks that then toppled from a wall. Rotting wood is weakening roof trusses.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/06/26/officials-hope-to-rescue-old-trolley-site.html?sid=101

Gail

I thoroughly want to see this located north of Broad so I’m voting for the Foodliner site. Honestly, is this supposed to be for residents, like the Clintonville Coop, or mostly tourists, like the North Market. FWIW, I owned a North Market biz for 3 years and I live on Governors Place.

clumsybell

I’m currently staying in the Franklin Park area and am considering relocating here permanently. I hadn’t heard the Foodliner suggested when I heard about the co-op being created, and I think it’s a good idea. But I also really like the idea of putting the co-op in the trolley barns. Something has to be done with that space soon before it’s lost for good. I’m less concerned about the fact that there’s a Save-a-lot close to here because what the co-op carries is probably going to be pretty different from what you can get at the Save-a-lot. However, the Bexley Natural Market isn’t too far from here, and I imagine they would overlap more. The Kroger west of Bexley is even closer.

From what I’ve seen, a small grocery tends to be a great anchor for a mixed-use market space (see Kerrytown in Ann Arbor, the Reading Terminal Market in Philly, etc. The North Market has these niches covered as well, with the Greener Grocer and others). Furthermore, the co-op would work extremely well with more than one of the top 5 proposals for the trolley barn space. So as to whether it should be the Foodliner, the trolley barns, or Oak & Ohio, I’m not really sure. I’d tend to lean towards the trolley barns. I think cc had some good points about doing more than one place.

One more thing: I have to challenge the idea that Franklin Park is rapidly gentrifying as compared to Olde Towne East. I know I’m new to this side of town, but my partner has lived in OTE for several years, so I’m not totally unfamiliar. Compare Bryden St. and Oak St. in both areas and you’ll see more of what I’m seeing.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: