Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NerosNeptune said:
    I don’t think any bike lanes are needed downtown. If all the streets are 25 mph and people ride their bikes correctly, then there is no problem.

That’s a very good point, and one I similarly raised at a recent meeting on biking infrastructure. You can add bike lanes or sharrows, but if Downtown traffic is configured to move at 45 miles per hour (this meeting was at the North Bank Park pavillion, so looking out on Long Street was a prime example of speedy Downtown traffic ) then you’ll never achieve a good rate of adoptability if people don’t feel safe.

Gay Street is a great Downtown street for biking, and it doesn’t need bike lanes. It configured to move slowly and stay safe for bikes, cars and pedestrians alike.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I want to add my vote for a good east-west corridor. There’s a great north-south bike trail from 3 creeks park up to 5th along the creek, and another one that runs almost the entire height of the city along the riverfront downtown, but there’s no real good way to get from one to the other. There’s a bike path that follows 670 part of the way from Nelson going west but it peters out pretty quickly.

If there was a good safe east west corridor I could pick up from here in the KLD I would bike much more often.

cbus11

I also think a bike lane along 5th Ave would link up several bike paths and vertical connectors. It would also make it easier to bike to the airport.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    You shouldn’t be maneuvering around parked cars. If you are riding correctly, 3rd and 4th are a dream to ride on because people have plenty of lanes to go around you. Although it would still be intimidating to some that they are going so fast in some areas.

I don’t think any bike lanes are needed downtown. If all the streets are 25 mph and people ride their bikes correctly, then there is no problem.

Where bike lanes are needed in Columbus is further out from downtown where road conditions can be bad and there are a ton more cars moving a lot faster. Plus, further out from downtown the cars aren’t expecting to be integrated with bikes. I used to ride in to downtown from Reynoldsburg and being on Livingston, Main, or Broad out that way were all hell until I got pretty close to downtown.

+1

I’ll also add that if it’s going to be the same designs we’ve already seen built or have been proposed (70/71 feeders) no thanks. I can get behind bike lanes as they are built in truly world class places. As they are built here they are joke that does nothing for safety.

M.O.
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    You shouldn’t be maneuvering around parked cars. If you are riding correctly, 3rd and 4th are a dream to ride on because people have plenty of lanes to go around you. Although it would still be intimidating to some that they are going so fast in some areas.

Where bike lanes are needed in Columbus is further out from downtown where road conditions can be bad and there are a ton more cars moving a lot faster. Plus, further out from downtown the cars aren’t expecting to be integrated with bikes. I used to ride in to downtown from Reynoldsburg and being on Livingston, Main, or Broad out that way were all hell until I got pretty close to downtown.

This.

Cars and bikes seem to be pretty in-tune downtown now that bikes are a regular part of that scene. The worst infrastructure for auto/car interaction is on the narrow, heavily-traveled suburban roads that we keep repaving at farm road widths. Bikes can’t travel those roads without creating a major passing hazard.

byJody
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:

I have not seen any studies but I would find it interesting to see if bike lanes are actually safer than just integrating bikes with car lanes where people can clearly know that the rules are the same as if they were driving a car (ignoring for now the fact that many don’t bother to follow them).

Dr. Anne Lusk, of the Harvard School of Public Health has been researching the relationship between public health and transportation for over thirty years. She also worked on some of the first bicycle infrastructure in the U. S., and is a strong advocate for European-style cycle tracks as a solution for both health and transportation.
    http://www.wjcu.org/2012/01/14/the-outspoken-cyclist-01142012
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/anne-lusk/

Her Study Notes:
    * Overall, 2 ½ times as many cyclists rode on the cycle tracks compared with the reference streets.
    * There were 8.5 injuries and 10.5 crashes per million-bicycle kilometers respectively on cycle tracks compared to published injury rates ranging from 3.75 to 67 for bicycling on streets. The relative risk of injury on the cycle track was 0.72 (95% CI=0,60-0.85) compared with bicycling in the reference streets.
    * Cycle tracks lessen, or at least do not increase, crash and injury rates compared to bicycling in the street

sarahb
    Participant

This would be wonderful for the city, cyclists and drivers! Yay! It is past time Columbus had bike lanes. Super excited for this project.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

North/South: 3rd and/or 4th

East/West: Long and/or Spring, Broad, Main

All could use a slight road diet.

I’m also thinking about how alleys could be utilized more, maybe for bike routes. It’s a largely wasted roadway.

pedex
    Participant

on the 4 and 5 lane one ways bike lanes would be pretty useless unless they are gonna be on both sides of the road and even then it isn’t a good idea

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^Bike lane going north on 4th, south on 3rd, in and out.

pedex
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    ^^Bike lane going north on 4th, south on 3rd, in and out.

ya and when you need to cross over from one side of 3rd or 4th to make a turn then what?

for example you come out of 400 south 5th and head west on fulton to the 4th street entrance and head north but want to make a left onto mound street or rich street then what?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

So what are we getting out of this?

This:

or this:

Graybeak
    Participant

I would probably ride my bike to work if we had something like that.
    I had a good laugh at the expense of the new bike lane set-up at the recently finished Parsons & Livingston intersection. It is a good two blocks in each direction!

johnwirtz
    Participant

3rd/4th, Spring/Long

Cole
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    3rd/4th, Spring/Long

I think at least one of the east/west connectors should go to COSI/Franklinton. At the very least, the Spring/Long should have a ramp to get to the Olentangy Bike Path from Long. Or maybe have contra-flow bike lanes so that bicyclists on Spring can easily get onto the bike path or decide to cross Souder to get to Franklinton/Mount Carmel.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: