Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

It seems odd to me that sidewalks would be the home owners responsibility. Is that common? So if I owned a home and didn’t care, given enough time and freeze thaw cycles the concrete is going to turn into essentially gravel and that’s totally cool because it’s the home owners to do with what they want? It would seem that sidewalks are more of a public utility, particularly in urban areas and relying on private individuals to maintain something that provides a public benefit, but little personal benefit doesn’t provide the best incentives.

Edited because it needed it.

ohbr
    Participant

It’s very common for the property owner to be fully responsible. So yes, you can let your sidewalk go to heck, but then you open yourself up to liability if it creates a hazard. If you walk around various places you will find sidewalks like you describe.

I believe the difference in cities comes in when the city steps in. Some cities will offer to replace/repair for a lower cost than you can get in the private industry, particularly during a construction project. Some cities may step in for extreme hazards while others go after the property owners when complaints come about (ie 311 sidewalk complaint, I’m not sure how CBus is handled)

ohbr
    Participant

https://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=27367

While sidewalks are used by the public, they are normally paid for and maintained by the individual property owner, which may be a homeowner, landlord or business owner. Owners pay for sidewalks by property tax assessment or the real estate developer may have provided the sidewalk, if within a newer subdivision. Developers are now required to provide sidewalks within all new developments. In developments where an addition to an existing building or structure is 50% or more of the original square footage, sidewalks must be added where they do not presently exist.

The property owner is responsible for any needed repairs and other maintenance to sidewalks, such as snow and ice removal. Columbus City Code Section 905.04 establishes the maintenance responsibility to the property owner. To report a sidewalk in poor condition, contact 311 Call Center at (614) 645-3111 or email: [email protected].
    Are there other circumstances where the City does provide sidewalks and curbs at no cost to the property owner?
    The City may elect to construct sidewalks or bike paths as part of major roadway projects, such as street widening or high-pedestrian areas. Operation Safewalks identified priorities for sidewalk construction for arterials, and, as funding allows, these sidewalk projects will be constructed.

Zyro
    Participant

Forgive me if I’m being dumb here, but I’m still fairly new to biking/bike commuting and haven’t explored this portion of the Olentangy Trail/Downtown and how they connect in the area I’m about to describe:

I was on Long Street downtown a few weeks ago and I noticed a lot of people biking behind a temporary construction wall barrier that was near a building. I’m fairly certain this was on Long Street, and if you go to Google Maps and type in the address 161 W Long St, Columbus, OH 43215, and go to Street View, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. In fact, that barricade is there in the Street View photos!

I was wondering what was going on here exactly. It looks like construction to the big building right there, but there we many people biking behind that wall (and walking too). I think it would be awesome if that wall became permanent. Is that what they are actually doing there? Any info would be great!

Forgive me if I’m being dumb here, but I’m still fairly new to biking/bike commuting and haven’t explored this portion of the Olentangy Trail/Downtown and how they connect in the area I’m about to describe:

I was on Long Street downtown a few weeks ago and I noticed a lot of people biking behind a temporary construction wall barrier that was near a building. I’m fairly certain this was on Long Street, and if you go to Google Maps and type in the address 161 W Long St, Columbus, OH 43215, and go to Street View, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. In fact, that barricade is there in the Street View photos!

I was wondering what was going on here exactly. It looks like construction to the big building right there, but there we many people biking behind that wall (and walking too). I think it would be awesome if that wall became permanent. Is that what they are actually doing there? Any info would be great!

The trail along the river is closed. This is the temporary detour.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The left-turn bike boxes have been installed on Spring. Used them a few times this week and they seem to help a lot during the Columbus State rush hour traffic timeframe in the mornings. Though the bike boxes installed around the highway entrance/exits at 71 seem a little pointless…

Here’s a photo of the one at Spring & Grant…

Nancy H
    Participant

The left-turn bike boxes have been installed on Spring. …

I don’t bike, but was curious about bike boxes. Now more confused, as there are several types. Found these variations

http://www.bikexprt.com/bikepol/facil/stopline.htm

http://www.theurbancountry.com/2010/11/safe-left-turns-for-bicycles.html

Which type are they using downtown? Also curious if they have added anything to signal/educate motorists.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Have they ever fixed the bike lanes on 4th near the 670w ramp? I remember driving past it a few weeks ago and was horrified that there were giant potholes without any warning. I’m guessing it’s fixed if I’m not hearing people complain.

JAL
    Participant

Have they ever fixed the bike lanes on 4th near the 670w ramp? I remember driving past it a few weeks ago and was horrified that there were giant potholes without any warning. I’m guessing it’s fixed if I’m not hearing people complain.

You are probably referring to just past Goodale St on 4th just (after crossing the bridge). The last time I drove by the big holes, where they removed the pavement, were still there. Looks like they are rebuilding the curbs everywhere those big holes are getting ready for the resurfacing project on 4th. I agree, the holes are not marked and right inside the current bike lanes. Very dangerous.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Which type are they using downtown? Also curious if they have added anything to signal/educate motorists.

They are the kind to help cyclists make left turns at busy intersections, which is particularly handy on streets like Spring & Long Downtown, which are often four lanes wide, and tough to merge all the way across during heavy traffic to make a left turn. Probably best illustrated in this image from your second link:

The only signs I’ve spotted have been temporary ones set up addressing cyclists, not motorists. They state something along the line of either “cyclists can use bike box or left turn lane to make left turns” or at some intersections “cyclists MUST use bike box to make left turns”. The latter of which seems odd to me, since prior to this week, these things didn’t exist and now they’re mandatory? They’re probably the best option during rush hour, but if you’re riding around Downtown on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I can’t imagine anyone using them whether they’re labeled as mandatory or not.

Nancy H
    Participant

The illustration above does require a cyclist to wait longer, but does look safer in heavy traffic. The ones that are prior to the crosswalk, at “A” in illustration, looked a bit scary to me, since we usually have COTA buses along the curb and drivers to the left of the bus can’t even see the person on a bike. It also required motorists to stop behind a line, which nobody seems to do. Columbus drivers violate the crosswalks regularly as they creep up to make a right turn on red, long before the walk indicator signal ends.

Pretty hard for motorists to not see a cyclist sitting in front of them at “B” when the light changes.

Don’t know what the wording should be… but they need signs for the clueless motorists, up next to the traffic light. And “no right turn on red” at those intersections would be a good idea, especially at intersection “B”

Making them mandatory, even if cyclists don’t use them on a lazy Sunday afternoon, would at least give them something consistent in educating motorists. We definitely need an “education the motorists” campaign. They regularly encroach on the designated bike lane at intersections.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

They’ve narrowed 4th St. down around 1st Ave to two lanes and have put the lines for bike lanes in. It doesn’t look like they’ve painted any signs on the road yet indicating they’re bike lanes. I imagine everything’s being painted down as they re-pave up 4th St.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

the rush hour traffic the last few days on N.4th and Summit has been bleak, in many cases 2 lanes are open and you can sit through 2-4 cycles of the traffic light, they will really need to re-time the lights to make 2 lanes work, oh wait it was poorly timed lights (at 45 mph at the end of the cycle) that got us here in the first place.

“Traffic and Engineering, the 2nd worst Department”

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

the rush hour traffic the last few days on N.4th and Summit has been bleak, in many cases 2 lanes are open and you can sit through 2-4 cycles of the traffic light, they will really need to re-time the lights to make 2 lanes work, oh wait it was poorly timed lights (at 45 mph at the end of the cycle) that got us here in the first place.

“Traffic and Engineering, the 2nd worst Department”

4th and Summit have been 2 lane for the majority of their length for a long time now….

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

not between 11th and Hudson, that started 2 weeks ago, and the rush has been oppressive

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION