Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

This topic contains 275 replies, has 74 voices, and was last updated by  jbcmh81 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Consider Biking announced today that 12 miles of bike lane infrastructure is being prioritized for Downtown, in response to a new national study that reveals that we are the 2nd largest city with no Downtown on-street bike lanes:

Report Says Columbus is Second Largest City with no Downtown Bike Lanes

My question is… where should they go? High Street? Broad Street? Main Street? Grant?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

get out your popcorn

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m not familiar with that street.

rory
    Participant

How about the Discovery District to Short North bicycle bridge. I had hoped that the rebuilding of the North Fourth Street bridge might mean more pedestrian or bike friendly sidewalk/path but it’s still a pain to get Downtown unless you go on High or Cleveland.

And I know that’s not what they mean.

swinzo1010
    Participant

All the major one way streets should get one. Streets like 3rd and 4th can be intimidating with how fast traffic moves and maneuvering around parked cars.

I would like to see Goodale Blvd. get one as well. I think that is outside the boundaries but close enough to downtown for my list!

swinzo1010
    Participant

As a side note. We should also convert the one way streets to ease traffic.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’m not familiar with that street.

touché

futureman
    Participant

swinzo1010 said:
    All the major one way streets should get one. Streets like 3rd and 4th can be intimidating with how fast traffic moves and maneuvering around parked cars.

I would like to see Goodale Blvd. get one as well. I think that is outside the boundaries but close enough to downtown for my list!

Doesn’t goodale and High St already have “sharrows” ?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s a couple of Downtown streets with Sharrows. Though I imagine un-sharrowing is a pretty easy and cheap process if those streets are deemed bike-lane worthy.

dru
    Participant

rory said:
    How about the Discovery District to Short North bicycle bridge. I had hoped that the rebuilding of the North Fourth Street bridge might mean more pedestrian or bike friendly sidewalk/path but it’s still a pain to get Downtown unless you go on High or Cleveland.

And I know that’s not what they mean.

in spite of it being off-topic – +1

i thought the conversion of that bridge was an excellent opportunity to create better walking and/or biking access to downtown. the new sidewalk looks a little wider and is certainly better than the former one that was largely devoid of curbs and rails. so it is a little better for walking, but there is nothing for bikes (i know this would be harder given 2 right lines merge onto 670E and the left lane turns into the exit for 670W).

but i still think overall it is an opportunity missed for a prominent foot path and/or bikeline connecting a residential neighborhood and downtown, especially if Wagenbrenner continues to develop along 4th from IV – WP.

futureman
    Participant

Broad could probably be done without major interference to traffic flow, or resistance from businesses – I doubt we really need all 8 lanes for cars.

High St would be harder due to having only 5 lanes, two dedicated bus lanes during rush hour, and wanting to have on street parking at some point. Sharrows might be there to stay …

Going further out from downtown I’d really like to see something done to 3rd Ave from Olentangy to Northwest Blvd. It’s the only viable connector for Grandview/S Arlington to Vic Village/Harrison West/Short North. It already has a lot of cyclists using it, I pass probably dozen or so a day which is due in part to Olentangy bike trail. I’d settle if they just re-stripped the dividers and removed the on street parking from the eastbound traffic and center the divider allowing more space for cyclists going westbound.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

swinzo1010 said:

I agree with this.

I also think what is missing is solid east/west route, I’m thinking 5th Ave would be ideal for this, not a lot of traffic, and it covers a lot ground.

leftovers

5th ave (might not be downtown but oh well) 3rd and 4th get my vote.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

You shouldn’t be maneuvering around parked cars. If you are riding correctly, 3rd and 4th are a dream to ride on because people have plenty of lanes to go around you. Although it would still be intimidating to some that they are going so fast in some areas.

I don’t think any bike lanes are needed downtown. If all the streets are 25 mph and people ride their bikes correctly, then there is no problem.

Where bike lanes are needed in Columbus is further out from downtown where road conditions can be bad and there are a ton more cars moving a lot faster. Plus, further out from downtown the cars aren’t expecting to be integrated with bikes. I used to ride in to downtown from Reynoldsburg and being on Livingston, Main, or Broad out that way were all hell until I got pretty close to downtown.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Also, I think that building bike lanes then makes people feel like they need to be constricted to roads where bike lanes are. They may think that because the bike lanes stop at a certain distance away from downtown that they aren’t supposed to be using their bikes there. When I have ridden a bike in cities with bike lanes, I found myself confused (I was an inexperienced rider at the time) as to what I was supposed to do when it came time to turn, or to deal with cars who are turning.

I have not seen any studies but I would find it interesting to see if bike lanes are actually safer than just integrating bikes with car lanes where people can clearly know that the rules are the same as if they were driving a car (ignoring for now the fact that many don’t bother to follow them).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: