Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to live?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where to live?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

vestanpance wrote >>

Tenzo wrote
    I’ve spent some years in Chicago, Philly, Frisco and Tokyo.

you had a car in Tokyo?

I know, right? No one drives in Tokyo. There’s too much traffic.

On a more serious note, I still miss the subways / trains there.

cyclist II
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    That being said… this article is worth reading: America’s chief health menace: driving. An excerpt:
    Many Americans fear becoming a victim of crime, but statistics show that we are far more likely to be seriously injured or killed in a vehicle accident than to be harmed at the hands of criminals.

That is a good article. It made me think about the way I drive after I first read it when it came out. I’ve actually calmed down the way I drive because of it. although i probably should read it everytime I get in the car. I hope many people got to read it. Of course now I worry more about B when she’s out on the road, but a good article nontheless.

+1 I’ve been saying this for years! Its like a Vietnam War every 18 Months for American deaths.

rus
    rus
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    i like GV a lot,the first thing i do with friends from out of town is take them to Katzinger’s and that book store on Third St. next to the coffee place.
    but,when it comes to where i live,i have to have my driveway and my garage.

The book loft is nice.
    http://www.bookloft.com/

agtw31

love the music on the book loft site

i believe that’s ritchie blackmore(deep purple) and a folk singer

claw71

It really depends on where you work and how long you plan on being here. If you’re looking to stay put and raise a kid then you might want to consider one of the ‘burbs. Dublin and Westerville offer relatively quaint downtown villages, although the prices might be out of reach if you aren’t willing to compromise. Personally, I think Grandview is pretty sweet if you’re looking for something different. It’s also close to downtown without being downtown. I loath the Groves (port and city) and Hilliard makes me ill at times but Old Hilliard is OK, it’s just surrounded by development hell.

Clintonville is swell but I think it requires experience. It’s an area that doesn’t impress outsiders at first blush but after you’ve lived here a while it really grows on you.

agtw31

Clintonville houses have foundations that you sweep up a piece of every sunday.

bman
    Participant

New Albany

michaelcoyote
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    Clintonville houses have foundations that you sweep up a piece of every sunday.

Unless you’ve tiled correctly.

Lived in an 1890s place in OTE, and wow was that basement ever dry. It was dusty as hell, but I never had problems with the water even when it poured down for weeks at a time in spring and fall. Shocked the hell out of me, but they really did a great job when they tiled it.

As a side note, the downside to that was junk will expand to fill the space alloted to it, and seeing as how I had a 15’x40′ room to fill with junk, I did. When I moved, that was a bitch to clear out.

That said, while I think Clintonville has nice housing stock, it’s really too far from most of the restaurants and businesses that I’d like to be able to walk or bike to. I like that it’s on the bike path, but for the most part there’s not much there to draw me to the neighborhood.

robertfoshizzle
    Participant

Bexley, Grandview Heights, and Worthington are easily the three coolest suburbs of Columbus in my opinion. I haven’t been in the area for too long, but all three offer some of the walkability and charm of the urban neighborhoods with the safety and great schools that you find the in suburbs. Out of those three, Grandview would be my choice.

Tenzo
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    i like GV a lot,the first thing i do with friends from out of town is take them to Katzinger’s and that book store on Third St. next to the coffee place.

It’s possible to have both.
    But you do give up a substantial part of your back yard.
    Our garage takes up about half the usable back yard space.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>

agtw31 wrote >>

It’s possible to have both.
    But you do give up a substantial part of your back yard.
    Our garage takes up about half the usable back yard space.

Yeah, plenty of garages here in the city. I can even mention a few places downtown with great setups.

Really though, it’s places like this that really make me think about buying in the near east side:

http://her.realliving.com/Property/Details.aspx?PropID=14490879

The only thing I could want different is a second floor/carriage house design for the garage.

ehill27
    Participant

The Short North[/url]!

Pixel Doll
    Participant

I agree with JackieC!!! Actually we are getting a home and will be leaving our apartment early. It’s about the price range your looking for.

JackieC wrote >>
    Grandview Heights!! Great schools, the schools have a small class size but being surrounded by the city you get the best of both worlds in terms of student exposure, plus the schools feel much less pretentious than others in the area.
    It’s also a small, walk able, highly active community you will love. Grandview Ave. has many shops/restaurants to walk to and single screen theatre. The library here has been rated one of the best in the country for its size a few years running now and Grandview Heights itself always has events planned so there is usually plenty to do right outside your own doorstep.
    On the nights you feel like getting out of the area its central location also keeps you close to downtown/short-north where there are endless options to choose from, usually what keeps me in on the weekend in Columbus is the desire to save some money or to just relax, not because there is nothing to do.
    Another bonus to its location is if you have to commute to work you will most likely be traveling with the opposite flow of rush hour traffic, I love driving 70 mph or so to work and looking over at the opposite lanes at a bumper to bumper stand still. If you work downtown, there isn’t any need to get on a highway, side streets will get you there in 5 mins.
    There are several houses currently up for rent in the area, that I believe fit your criteria, unfortunately most of them just have signs in the yard and no internet postings, if you would like me to get the numbers for you I would be happy to help.
    Here are some helpful links:
    http://www.grandviewhe…/
    http://www.think-urban…
    http://www.grandviewsc…/
    http://www.ghmchs.org/…
    There is my pitch, hope it helps!

Columbusite

lifeliberty wrote >>

von wrote >>
    i hate these threads. everyone votes for where THEY live. quite comical, really.

Not true. I live in North Linden. I want to move to Clintonville because it is a great place to live.

Now while I wouldn’t have North Linden as a top recommendation it’s important to note that just because you wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhoods doesn’t mean it’s not worth visiting. The Jamaican & Somali restaurants are all the reason you need (I hope you’re taking advantage).

Now for a safe, urban neighborhood many have already been mentioned and it doesn’t hurt to browse the varied hoods of Columbus (use my blog![/url]). I’ll put in a vote for Italian Village, closer to Buttles.

lifeliberty
    Participant

yeah, there are some other interesting places on Oakland park. Q stix for some cheap drinks and pool ($.50 quarter tables in great shape), Milanos Steakhouse for kitsch, Portofinos for the unhealthy decadendent cheese fix, and Cajohns fiery foods warehouse. there’s also Mr Meatball across from Vances, and then again there is Vances, one of the nicest/buisiest shooting supply stores in Central Ohio. Tons of little restaurant start-ups in the area.

Of course neighbors knocking on your door hitting you up for $ is a detractor. I guess so would be getting shot in the back and having your pants stolen.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: