Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to live advice request

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where to live advice request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

melikecheese
    Participant

If you want to live IN the action, go just north of downtown in Short North /Italian Village.

If you want to be close to the action, have things to walk to and so on but not be stuck in the middle of valet parking world and people all over, stick with just south of downtown in the German Village area. The min. you leave the boundaries of that area prices generally drop. Very easy access to i-70 from there.

I recommend you download Google Earth and start over Downtown Columbus, turn on all the markers for bars, coffee shops, gas stations etc etc and you will start to get a good idea of where things are.

TaraK
    Participant

eg37 wrote >>
    I say German Village and Schumacher Place. I live right on the cusp of the two and it sounds like what you are looking for. Right by I-70 and I-71, walking neighborhood, good bars/restaurants, and it’s relatively safe. As long as you don’t leave anything valuable displayed in your car you should be good. Are you looking to buy or rent as that could change your search criteria.

I second this. I live in the same area and love it. Began Columbus life in OTE, replaced two car windows (and I didn’t leave anything in the car — I mean ANYTHING), then moved here. I LOVE it and can’t imagine living in another part of Columbus. I first really wanted to live closer to Short North, but I love this area. I can walk to anything I want (gym, salon, grocery, bar, restaurant, park). Most enjoyable neighborhood I’ve ever lived in.

melikecheese
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>

eg37 wrote >>
    I say German Village and Schumacher Place. I live right on the cusp of the two and it sounds like what you are looking for. Right by I-70 and I-71, walking neighborhood, good bars/restaurants, and it’s relatively safe. As long as you don’t leave anything valuable displayed in your car you should be good. Are you looking to buy or rent as that could change your search criteria.

I second this. I live in the same area and love it. Began Columbus life in OTE, replaced two car windows (and I didn’t leave anything in the car — I mean ANYTHING), then moved here. I LOVE it and can’t imagine living in another part of Columbus. I first really wanted to live closer to Short North, but I love this area. I can walk to anything I want (gym, salon, grocery, bar, restaurant, park). Most enjoyable neighborhood I’ve ever lived in.

I will third that, I spent years in the burbs visiting the urban hoods in Columbus, once I moved into the south end GV area I feel in love, I don’t ever want to leave for any other place.

Motorist
    Participant

I live in Olde Towne East and really like it. Believe it or not, some people live in OTE for years and never have bad things happen to their cars. They even park on the street!

lisathewaitress
    Participant

what is your age range?

my initial thought was definitely german village, but that might be a little “slow” for you if you want constant action. that being said, it seems a little sleepy but there are lots of great bars and restaurants in german village, but i think because there really isn’t a central part of GV, you don’t get that “happening” vibe like you do with the Short North. I don’t think GV is particularly safe, though. I lived there for 6 months when I was younger and everyone’s cars were constantly getting broken into – i mean, daily. I finally just started leaving the doors unlocked. I worked down there for years and I was always amazed by how much crime there was because it seems so quiet and charming.

Short North is about the same, crime wise. cars are always getting broken into. If you want a vibrant neighborhood where there’s always something to do, the short north might be up your alley.

and then, there’s the indie capital of Columbus, SoHud!! (aka “old North Columbus” or “North Campus” I live here, it’s just north of downtown. Not too close to 70 but it’s under 6 minutes on the freeway (71). housing is inexpensive and it’s pretty young and diverse. It’s also very safe – 2 car windows have been broken that I know of in the past 6 years (on my block). and my car was broken into, but they used a slim jim to pick the lock (how nice of them, right?) One thing I like about this neighborhood is that it really isn’t a destination, so we have really great bars that aren’t full of packs of douchebags coming in from the suburbs or wherever they live. Bars and restaurants in this part of town are almost all small and independent and best of all, cheap!! it’s very working class/student driven. Plus you can get a lot of space and offstreet parking for you rent money, something you rarely find in German Village or the Short North.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I live in Grandview. It is safe, tons of restaurants and bars, I can bike downtown in 10 minutes, complete walking neighborhood, you dont need a car to live here, kind of Chicagoish that way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    If you want to avoid car vandalism, I would steer clear of Old Towne East.

Seriously? You’re saying car vandalism doesn’t happen anywhere else?

bman
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

spookygoddess78 wrote >>
    If you want to avoid car vandalism, I would steer clear of Old Towne East.

Seriously? You’re saying car vandalism doesn’t happen anywhere else?

Not in New Albany … at least yet until the urban center spreads NE. LOL just kidding.

I love living in the New Albany area, the coyotes were going CRAZY last night … lol

Columbusite

You could check out the complete neighborhood guide[/url] I put together. What city and neighborhood are you coming from? That could help narrow your search quite a bit. If you’re an urban pioneer there’s Old Oaks which has nice homes, but is surrounded by a couple of pretty rough neighborhoods. Downtown could work, though it does get pretty quiet at night. Most of the action there is north of Broad St and I lived in the SE corner which is close to German Village, the Short North, and Bexley is just a little ways east.

Once you figure out what section you want to live in, here is a link to a site that can help you find an actual apartment http://www.metro-rentals.com/ it is where I found my apartment in the Short North from the Day Companies, which I also recommend as a landlord (no, I do not work for them), you can find them here http://www.daycompanies.net/ and they have properties in numerous areas, not just the Short North

DavidF
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    what is your age range?
    my initial thought was definitely german village, but that might be a little “slow” for you if you want constant action. that being said, it seems a little sleepy but there are lots of great bars and restaurants in german village, but i think because there really isn’t a central part of GV, you don’t get that “happening” vibe like you do with the Short North. I don’t think GV is particularly safe, though. I lived there for 6 months when I was younger and everyone’s cars were constantly getting broken into – i mean, daily. I finally just started leaving the doors unlocked. I worked down there for years and I was always amazed by how much crime there was because it seems so quiet and charming.
    Short North is about the same, crime wise. cars are always getting broken into. If you want a vibrant neighborhood where there’s always something to do, the short north might be up your alley.
    and then, there’s the indie capital of Columbus, SoHud!! (aka “old North Columbus” or “North Campus” I live here, it’s just north of downtown. Not too close to 70 but it’s under 6 minutes on the freeway (71). housing is inexpensive and it’s pretty young and diverse. It’s also very safe – 2 car windows have been broken that I know of in the past 6 years (on my block). and my car was broken into, but they used a slim jim to pick the lock (how nice of them, right?) One thing I like about this neighborhood is that it really isn’t a destination, so we have really great bars that aren’t full of packs of douchebags coming in from the suburbs or wherever they live. Bars and restaurants in this part of town are almost all small and independent and best of all, cheap!! it’s very working class/student driven. Plus you can get a lot of space and offstreet parking for you rent money, something you rarely find in German Village or the Short North.

I spent 10 years in German Village and I’m looking forward to the day I can go back. Never had any thing broken into and almost never had trouble finding parking within 100 feet of my home. I had two rentals and a house there and enjoyed every day of it. I even had a 2 car garage I never used.

Not true for everybody, but I always found the crime/parking concerns to be way overblown.

There are a few places I would recommend that meet your criteria:
    They are close to nightlife, there are a lots of young people, there are great housing options, apartments, houses, big and small. Some houses are new, others fixed up and some houses offer rehab opportunities. There is cheap, expensive, high end, middle of the road and inexpensive, but the location can’t be beat. These areas also offer great architecture, history and are walkin distance to shops, resturants and clubs – OLDE TOWNE EAST, KING LINCOLN DISTRICT, NOBO AND THE DISCOVERY DISTRICT. These neighborhoods are hip, edgy, trendy and up and coming, are only improving and offer great value and unbelievable choices in housing opportunities and lifestyle – good luck!

On crime issue a few thoughts – I lived at one point in Victorian Village and loved it (also had my car broken into several times over there) and there were homeless folks roaming the alleys from campus area constantly – Unfortunately – crime is everywhere and you need to be smart – if you want total safety move to a farm, get a big dog and a gun. Regarding OTE – the crime here is no more or less than other places – In fact – it is constantly getting better – been here for 5 years have had not had 1 issue – a few suggestions, lights and lit areas deter crime if you live in an urban environment and own a house or are in an apartment – be sure it is well lit up in the alley, gangways and any place that offers a criminal a place hide or commit a crime. OTE also goes from Bryden Road to Long Street and this entire area is upandcoming, walkable, pedestrian friendly and fun – check out Urban Spirit on Long Street too – good java –

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Motorist wrote >>
    I live in Olde Towne East and really like it. Believe it or not, some people live in OTE for years and never have bad things happen to their cars. They even park on the street!

18mo in the short north, two car break ins.
    2 years in OTE area, zero car break ins.

Anywho, re: orig poster..

you should live in my neighborhood, every other neighborhood that I don’t live in sucks like bad and stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: