Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to live advice request

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where to live advice request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

DRF

Hi, I might go to work close to Columbus in a couple of months and am interested in researching potential areas to live. My target location is as close as possible to I-70 and from downtown center – eastward.

Ideally I’m looking for an area with things to do within walking distance, decent nightlife(late 20’s early 30’s)within 10 min drive, and relatively safe (hate to replace car windows)… I’m a single dude, so suburbs are out of the question.

Any advice or referrals to good websites for research appreciated.

Thanks,

DR

10sun

Start in the Short North / Victorian Village / Italian Village areas.

BCNation
    Participant

I would say Uptown Westerville, but:
    a) You hate suburbs
    b) Too many krazy kollege kids
    c) Not much in night life (Polaris is nearby, though)

Short North/Vic Vill/Italian Village is a safe bet

I would say OTE, but:
    a) Only two bars in OTE (Carabar & Yellow Brick)
    b) Parts of it are safe (Bryden Rd.- OTE is very Bryden Rd.-centric), others are shit (Champion & Ohio/and ANYthing south of Bryden/Main)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

BCNation wrote >>
    I would say Uptown Westerville, but:
    a) You hate suburbs
    b) Too many krazy kollege kids
    c) Not much in night life (Polaris is nearby, though)
    Short North/Vic Vill/Italian Village is a safe bet
    I would say OTE, but:
    a) Only two bars in OTE (Carabar & Yellow Brick)
    b) Parts of it are safe (Bryden Rd.- OTE is very Bryden Rd.-centric), others are shit (Champion & Ohio/and ANYthing south of Bryden/Main)

Part of the requirement was nightlife within a 10 minute drive, so OTE could work pretty well given the proximity to downtown, German Village and the Short North.

If you want to avoid car vandalism, I would steer clear of Old Towne East. There are a few nice blocks and it is REALLY close to downtown, German Village and Short North and it is fairly inexpensive. However, the friends I have that own and/or rent in that area have all had their cars vandalized at least once during their residencies. And some of them…on more than one occasion.

jinkies

Grandview is a good option given what you are looking for, a lot of post-college kids in the area, plenty of bars and close to downtown and all the other nightlife in the city.

Brant
    Participant

Bexley, hands down. Close to I-70 on the east side, quiet and safe, walkable on Main St, easy 10-minute drive to downtown/Short North nightlife.

groundrules
    Participant

DRF wrote >>
    potential areas to live…..Any advice

CU Pandora’s box has been opened…..

eg37

I say German Village and Schumacher Place. I live right on the cusp of the two and it sounds like what you are looking for. Right by I-70 and I-71, walking neighborhood, good bars/restaurants, and it’s relatively safe. As long as you don’t leave anything valuable displayed in your car you should be good. Are you looking to buy or rent as that could change your search criteria.

turbo ninja
    Participant

German Village/Merion Village. Excellent access to 70, close to lots of bars and restaurants with other neighborhoods within quick reach, and you can’t beat the character of some of the buildings.

Just use common sense and keep anything of perceived value (including melted candy bars, snow scrapers in July, or prescription glasses) out of view and the window-smashing should be minimized.

I suggest metro-rentals.com as a resource for available rentals in the areas.

AmyJ
    Participant

Grandview sounds up your alley, although Bexley is closer to the east side of 70. I loved living in the Bexley area and there are a ton of affordable townhouses for rent on Sherwood Rd.

Tenzo
    Participant

If you are interested in rentals in German Village;
    talk to the people at hausfrau Haven. It’s a wine store, but they keep an eye on a lot of propoerties for out of town owners.

twentzel

I am trying to rent out my condo in the Hartman Building downtown. Here is a link to my ad:

Condo Ad

It is also posted on Craigslist. I know that you said you aren’t looking for something for a couple of months, and my condo may not be available then, but Craigslist is a good source for downtown rentals. The Hartman is a great place to live and there are usually a couple of rentals available.

If downtown proper isn’t your thing, I second the Grandview recommendation.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    If you are interested in rentals in German Village;
    talk to the people at hausfrau Haven. It’s a wine store, but they keep an eye on a lot of propoerties for out of town owners.

+1; the Hausfrau folks helped me when I was looking for an apartment several years ago. I ended up not renting down there, but they’re super nice and helpful. And, if nothing else, you can pick up a nice bottle of wine while you’re in there :)

futureman
    Participant

Well I’d vote for Grandview, more specifically Grandview Ave where the new 4 story apartment building that is under construction.

Or the usual, Victorian Village, Harrison West, German Village combo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.