Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to get foreign currency in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Where to get foreign currency in Columbus

This topic contains 23 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwood 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

5XNW
    Participant

Try any of the JPMChase branches or the Post Office for money orders and FX exchanges – I believe they both handle these types of transactions! I would recommend the Chase bank at Kingsdale!

mas917
    Participant

Just went through this myself… PNC was SUPER easy to get Euros (took 3 business days I believe) with no fees. They also offer a few free ATM withdraws from other banks each month,so I saved those for when I was overseas and again got other currency with no fees.
    They also took back my extra currency when I got home, but no coins- so treat yourself to something nice in the airport on your way home.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I just always hit up an ATM while over seas. Best exchange rate you can get if you don’t mind the small fee. However my bank reimburses for all ATM fees.

pez
    Participant

I just always hit up an ATM while over seas. Best exchange rate you can get if you don’t mind the small fee. However my bank reimburses for all ATM fees.

This is great advice. Sign up for an Ally Bank or Charles Schwab Bank account. You’ll never again pay fees for anything, including checks, ATMs, Foreign Exchance, mobile deposit, overdraft protection, etc. We switched to Schwab about 5 years ago and have never paid a fee for anything, including withdrawals from foreign ATMs while traveling abroad. They even send tou prepaid envelopes if you need to mail anything to them.

We kept a savings account at US Bank with a few thousand dollars as a just in case buffer, but we’ve never needed to tap it, but they are kind enough to charge me $3.95/mo and pay me 1-2 cents interest for the priviledge of using my money. Eventually, I’ll end up cancelling it, but the last trip to a US Bank branch felt like a timeshare sales presentation with them trying to sign me up for credit cards, loan consolidations and other stuff they knew I didn’t need, but made them look good to their managers.

Scott Teresi
    Participant

Analogue Kid brings up a good point… once you have foreign currency, how do you exchange it back into U.S. when you get back from your trip!

If you have an account at Chase bank, they will allow you to request foreign currency (takes a couple days) AND return it without major fees. But I think Huntington sadly will not!

Scott

JakeNic
    Participant

Great success with Huntington today. The exchange rate was pretty good; way better than the airport and no ridiculous convenience fees.

On a side note, I was wowed by the architecture in there. I didn’t know we had an awesome huge historic bank lobby in the city. It’s worth checking out if you haven’t seen it.

@jon,<br>
    Taking a Mediterranean cruise with the wife and visiting Italy, Monaco, France, and Spain.

I work downtown and have been in many if not most of the buildings for one reason or another. I agree, the lobby of the Huntington is GORGEOUS. Another favorite to see (if it’s still accessible to the public now that it’s all loft apartments) is the Atlas Building on Long. I used to have to go in that one a couple times each day when there were still a few state offices in it. Lobby is all marble with a grand marble staircase. Like stepping back in time!!

CMHguy
    Participant

I travel a lot and have found that ATMs in other countries are always your best deal. Currency exchanges, here in the US, in airports and foreign banks charge big commissions.

Also, when using a credit card outside the US make sure it is one with no additional fees.

Scott Teresi
    Participant

I just checked into this more closely for a couple of banks:

HUNTINGTON BANK CUSTOMERS:
    Huntington charges $8 to exchange U.S. dollars into foreign currency, and $8 again to exchange whatever you have left back into U.S. dollars! If you use an ATM in another country, their charge is $3 for the ATM, plus 3% of the currency amount, plus whatever fees the ATM’s bank charges.

CHASE CREDIT CARD HOLDERS (or bank account holders):
    If you have a Chase bank account, *or even just a Chase credit card*, you can go to a Chase bank branch and get and return foreign currency for NO FEE!

So it sounds like you can get a very good deal (compared to withdrawing from ATM’s or going to the airport), IF you have a Chase credit card or bank account and go to a Chase bank branch.

The one thing to keep in mind is I think you have to call a couple days ahead so they can order the currency (at either bank).

Scott

mwood
    Participant

CHASE CREDIT CARD HOLDERS (or bank account holders):<br>
    If you have a Chase bank account, *or even just a Chase credit card*, you can go to a Chase bank branch and get and return foreign currency for NO FEE!

So it sounds like you can get a very good deal (compared to withdrawing from ATM’s or going to the airport), IF you have a Chase credit card or bank account and go to a Chase bank branch.

This isn’t entirely accurate. They do charge a fee for the exchange, it’s just built into their slightly-below-market rate rather than being an explicit fee. Going through Chase ended up being the best option last time I needed Euros, but it isn’t fee-free.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: