Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to get foreign currency in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Where to get foreign currency in Columbus

This topic contains 23 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwood 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I’m wondering if people have suggestions as to where to get foreign currency in the city. I know there is a counter at the airport. However, last time I went they gave a very bad conversion rate on top of high “convenience” fees and such.

If there is nothing else local, are there any decent websites that don’t charge $30 for shipping a 1 ounce envelope?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I want to say the Huntington branch on Broad across from the Statehouse does. It’s been awhile since I’ve been in, though.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Can’t one still get travelers checks denominated in foreign currencies?

JazzFestAllNite
    Participant

I have definitely gotten Euros from the Huntington across from the statehouse, I don’t know about other currency though.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    Can’t one still get travelers checks denominated in foreign currencies?

I’ve done this as well but I’d like to have a bit of cash on hand initially.

I will give Huntington a try.

JonMyers
    Participant

You should get fifty to seventy five bucks converted as others have mentioned. I’ve found the easiest thing though is to just withdraw from an ATM in the country you’re visiting. Even with the fees it works out better.

If you are traveling make sure you call your credit companies and banks.

dru
    Participant

@jon is right. a small amount to hit the ground with can be useful, but otherwise using credit/debit is going to get the best exchange rate. They will make the transaction at the current exchange rate.

However, check with your bank/credit company about foreign transaction fees. These have been phased in over the past decade and can run between 1-4% on each transaction (annoying but still better than most exchange counters). Visa and Mastercard typically charge 1-2% and Amex charges 2%. On top of that, your bank might charge an additional 1-2%. Capital One – who I normally would advise against solely on the basis of their annoying commercials – actually absorbs the Visa and MC charge and doesn’t have their own, making them a great 0% option for overseas travel.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Good info, thanks!

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Good info, thanks!

GCrites80s
    Participant

Much of the rest of the world uses 5-digit PINs, so you may have to add a 0 to the front or back of your PIN to use ATMs. Ask your card company. No fun having the thing eat your card overseas.

JonMyers
    Participant

Analogue, where are you traveling to?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Great success with Huntington today. The exchange rate was pretty good; way better than the airport and no ridiculous convenience fees.

On a side note, I was wowed by the architecture in there. I didn’t know we had an awesome huge historic bank lobby in the city. It’s worth checking out if you haven’t seen it.

@jon,
    Taking a Mediterranean cruise with the wife and visiting Italy, Monaco, France, and Spain.

honavery

Just recently got Euro from that Huntington on the spot. Have gotten Yen from there too, but they had to order it (just took a couple of days). Pretty sure they can order anything. You do get a better rate using ATM/credit overseas. Always a good idea to call your credit card companies/bank before travelling to tell them you are leaving the country so they don’t put a hold on your cards when they see overseas charges start popping up. FWIW, credit card much more widely accepted in Italy than in Japan.

And yes, it is cool inside that Huntington.

phaedrus
    Participant

Have confirmed the Huntington location noted above has euros on-site at all times. Swiss Franc’s however have to be ordered and I was quoted 2 business days arrival from the time your order is placed. This method comes with an $8 delivery fee.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Update: I had some old Canadian money around and went back to Huntington to exchange it. Turns out they’ve made it as bad as the online exchanges. Now has to be mailed in, wait x weeks, pay $8 convenience fee, deposit in your Huntington account (no non-account holders allowed). The airport appears to be the only game in town now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: