Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where to find the News?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Where to find the News?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

kafktastic
    Participant

I’m curious where you guys go for your news. I find myself gradually shifting to websites that confirm my point of view… and while it’s nice to hear like minded individuals once in a while, the echo chamber is getting on my nerves. The main stream media seems to be 90% nonsense.

I find that i’m getting most of my news from facebook and Jon Stewart. That doesn’t seem healthy.

Yes, i know how to use google. But, i’ve been searching for a while, and i’m assuming there’s something good out there, but i just haven’t managed to find it.

mrmann

The only really good source for local news seems to be the Dispatch, everything else seems more infotainment. I still like NPR, CNN, and a bit of Fox for the different spin on national and international. I am not sure what you are looking at on facebook, but I am curious.

kafktastic
    Participant

by facebook i mean I’m more likely to catch breaking news from my friends linking to it in their feed than by catching it on news sites. Also, my friends like to argue politics, so there are a lot of partisan stories flying back and forth.

I think, in reflection, that this problem cropped up after the NYTimes went behind a paywall. I’d become accustomed to getting my news there. It’s pretty in depth, pretty balanced and always seemed weighted to the news i found important. I guess i’m looking for a replacement… it may be time to cough up the dough for it.

DavidF
    Participant

NPR for domestic news. BBC and CBC for world news, CU for local news.

edit: plus a myriad of websites of course. Slate, The Atlantic, Rolling Stone, Popehat, etc.

hivner1

Twitter aggregates all my news. Cant imagine doing it any other way at this point, so convenient. Locally I follow the Dispatch, CU, Cols Biz 1st, 89.7 WOSU, maybe a few misc others.

kafktastic
    Participant

thanks for the suggestions guys. I’d never checked out popehat before, but it looks pretty interesting. I’ve been reading the daily kos too much lately though. I’m not sure i need another liberal website to help further wither my brain. I did like that popehat seems to stick to principles rather than Democrat talking points.

hivner1

I also still use Google Reader for RSS feeds that focus more on commentary, long form, less ‘breaking’ news items. I love Reeder for Mac.

DavidF
    Participant

kafktastic said:
    thanks for the suggestions guys. I’d never checked out popehat before, but it looks pretty interesting. I’ve been reading the daily kos too much lately though. I’m not sure i need another liberal website to help further wither my brain. I did like that popehat seems to stick to principles rather than Democrat talking points.

Popehat is pretty libertarian in outlook. The best parts are in the comments.

kafktastic
    Participant

hivner1, i’ll give twitter a try. I might not be on it enough to really get good use out of it, but it definitely feels like it is something that’s missing from my arsenal.

DavidF, the front page was full of 1st amendment defenses, which i took to indicate it as left leaning. I should maybe read a little more carefully?

howatzer
    Participant

If you want a conservative spin to balance your liberal overdose, National Review provides the best to be had. Careful though…..

DavidF
    Participant

kafktastic said:
    hivner1, i’ll give twitter a try. I might not be on it enough to really get good use out of it, but it definitely feels like it is something that’s missing from my arsenal.

DavidF, the front page was full of 1st amendment defenses, which i took to indicate it as left leaning. I should maybe read a little more carefully?

1st amendment defenses aren’t an exclusively liberal issue. In fact this is one area where I do tip my hat to libertarians.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

89.7/90.5 on the radio, flip around to different online sites. Actually pop on Drudge quite a bit…kind of entertaining to read the blatant spin but some decent links. Mother Jones has been a recent favorite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m guessing only old people like me like what I tell the dang kids to be quiet for-The People Yelling At Each Other Show[/url].

Graybeak
    Participant

well, there is always yahoo.

kafktastic
    Participant

do SNL parodies of the McLaughlin Group count?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: