Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where is the best place to get an inexpensive fixie bike?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where is the best place to get an inexpensive fixie bike?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

Hi All,

My bf’s birthday is coming up in a month and I am looking at getting him a fixed gear bike. Where are the best places to look and how much should I expect to spend? I saw this at Walmart for only $99 but I assume it is crappy though the reviews seem positive. Would it be ‘good enough’ for basic city biking? Are there better places to look for an inexpensive fixie – maybe co-ops or bike stores that sell good quality used fixies in town?

I know that he rides an 18″ frame on his current bike.

Oh, and we live in Italian Village so everything is pretty flat and close! :)

thank you

walmart fixie link

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    Hi All,

My bf’s birthday is coming up in a month and I am looking at getting him a fixed gear bike. Where are the best places to look and how much should I expect to spend? I saw this at Walmart for only $99 but I assume it is crappy though the reviews seem positive. Would it be ‘good enough’ for basic city biking? Are there better places to look for an inexpensive fixie – maybe co-ops or bike stores that sell good quality used fixies in town?

I know that he rides an 18″ frame on his current bike.

Oh, and we live in Italian Village so everything is pretty flat and close! :)

thank you

walmart fixie link

Try Third Hand or Franklinton Cycle Works, though not always guaranteed they’ll have size/fixie.

Paradise will probably be one of your better bets. Stop in and check out their selection. I’d generally advise against buying a bike as a gift…kind of like getting a pet as a Christmas present. Too many personal decisions/preferences. Grab a gift card when you find a shop you like.

M.O.
    Participant

Since most fixed gear bikes in any given city are cobbled together from pretty inexpensive pieces I don’t think you’ll go too wrong with the Walmart bike but for two things:

1. It has been pre-hipsterized with mismatched tire colors, but the hipsters who were doing that moved on other bizarre stuff several years ago.

2. It’s called the “Thruster.”

You might need to replace the saddle with a beat-up old Brooks and remove all the reflectors so it looks better parked at a coffee shop :).

Edit: lifeontwowheels’ comparison of bikes to pets in gift giving sounds right-on to me. Maybe ask bf to drop you some specific hints?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Might be worth checking out if you’re looking to buy this weekend:

TREK Winter Melt Down Sale Feb 8-10 2013

bucki12

Don’t know anything about the Walmart one except for what the link says, but it appears to have a flip/flop hub (just flip the wheel 180 and re-install) so it can be used as fixed or single speed. That is a pretty nice option to have.

Most of Columbus is pretty flat so a single speed will make a decent low maintenance commuter.

Coy
    Participant

Craigslist…

Hey look, this guy will sell you the Thruster for $50 more!
    http://mansfield.craigslist.org/bik/3571849778.html

leftovers

Third Hand Bike Co-Op may have one or two but bikes change often there. You would probably want to bring your boyfriend, especially if he knows some things about bikes. The ones there are a mishmash of various parts of varying quality. Paradise Garage is a nice local shop, but expect to pay around $250. They offer lifetime free basic tune ups, but there isn’t much to a fixie.

I have always thought the Trek store on Lane Ave was overpriced, but if the sale covers more than just a few bikes it may be worth checking out.

http://www.thirdhand.org/joom/

http://www.paradisegarage.com/product/12se-bikes-draft-159376-1.htm

I agree that getting someone a bike can be like getting someone a pet for Xmas.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

agreed that you should include him on the selection process..

my favorite shop is paradise garage, but I don’t know how many fixed gears they sell. There is another shop in the short north called revolution cycles. I have no experience with them (maybe someone else here can vouch for them), but their window is full of fixies so they seem to specialize in them?

RhondaH

Thanks Everyone!

musicfan2
    Participant

Every bike shop in town carries these types of bikes.

BikeSource on High St.
    B-1 downtown.
    Roll

Go visit all the shops – see who takes care of your customer service needs and has the bike you think your Sig-other would like.

You get what you pay for-quality wise. The bikes at wallymart are being assembled by whom? Certainly Not a qualified mechanic at a reputable shop.

Look at the quality of the frames, forks, parts on the bikes and go with a name brand. Some of these frame companies are here today/gone tomorrow. Is there a warranty on the bike? From where? What does it cover?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: