Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Steve
    Participant

geoyui said:
    There’s a first for everything. The link you posted, where is that from (Japan, Europe)? Good Luck!

That one is from Japan.

johnwirtz said:
    Maps of lots for sale are here:
    http://development.columbus.gov/landredevelopment/content.aspx?id=26396

I’ve used this site before… no 43215 properties. Hard to find some around there.

Walker said:
    There’s new modern buildings planned for both Italian and Victorian Villages:

Jeffrey Park Will Add Over 1300 New Residences to Italian Village

Aston Place Bringing Modern Living to Victorian Village

If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere.

Maybe I should start looking in that area. I don’t know how well they are going to build these properties just yet… quality does count (noise issues). And they may be in high demand, and/or not finished for a few years.

But I might have more luck looking in that area than in downtown or some of the other neighborhoods.

bucki12 said:
    If you can build it for anywhere near 50k (for a new build) I would be amazed. I think just plugging into city utilities is gonna cost $$.

The idea was originally that I could subdivide someone’s property and get that tiny spot for $10k or less, which is where I was expecting to make the real savings, as well as the fact that I was initially planning for 500 sq ft or less, and that plan has also changed. So more accurately ~$100k.

Patch
    Participant

joev said:
    A while back (maybe a year ago), there were several lots in Schumacker Place with modern-designed home plans in place for the buyer. Might be a close-in option without the architectural restrictions of German Village.

NIMBY!!!

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

dru said:
    I think the project is simply referred to as Russell at Kerr
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/what-is-that-new-building-in-italian-village
    The design has some similarities, but a lot in Italian Village would ruin his budget.

Yeah, that is essentially what I am looking to do, but I wonder why they might be asking for so much…

I think I will contact the intern that worked for that architectural firm… he might be able to help me figure out the design side of it…

As per the expensive lots, that’s what I’m trying to avoid the most, without having to go into…less friendly neighborhoods.

The balance between cost and quality of neighborhood/architectural restrictions… that’s what I’m trying to find.

PS – If any of you have any extra space on your own lot… let me know! :)

MHJ
    Participant

I’m positive you could do that in Franklinton.

Patch
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Not to derail, but what are those units/homes called that are right along the north side of 670 in Italian village? I heard they will have a mechanical car parking system installed?

Found this:

jessew said:
    I’m a little late to this conversation, but if you have any questions about the Russell at Kerr project, ask away – I work for Lincoln Street Studio, the Italian Village-based architect of the project.

Couple of interesting project notes:

[*]The town home you see under construction is the smallest of three (asking price 359K), the other two increase in size. [/*][*]The garage is actually a 2 car garage, with a lift to raise one car up above the other. The lift itself is pretty cool, and uses just one arm to raise up to 6000lbs. [/*][*]The design incorporates a large roof deck and open floor plans.[/*][*]We expect the homes to be pretty efficient, they adhere to the IECC (energy code), have very efficient windows, and the compact plan focuses most of the heating and cooling load on the living areas. [/*]

Our facebook page has some construction photos if you’re interested. The web site for the project is: http://russellatkerr.com/ and has contact info for Connie, the seller.

heresthecasey
    Participant

I’ve always thought this would be a really cool idea to do. Ideally, I think the best location would be slipping a new-build into one of the smallest slivers of leftover space, right in the middle of downtown.

Somewhere like here or here or here or even here.

I think the main hurdle is just finding a willing property owner and wrangling with any egress problems created or the displacement of parking/dumpsters from the space.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    I’ve always thought this would be a really cool idea to do. Ideally, I think the best location would be slipping a new-build into one of the smallest slivers of leftover space, right in the middle of downtown.

Somewhere like here or here or here or even here.

I think the main hurdle is just finding a willing property owner and wrangling with any egress problems created or the displacement of parking/dumpsters from the space.

Yes, and that is what I want, ideally, but as you suspected, it has been very difficult to even communicate with these landowners, let alone get them to agree to this “unorthodox” idea.

Like I said, it’s not very common in Columbus, and it’s difficult to convince the landowners (very often large corporations) to subdivide their property and sell it to me, when they most likely wouldn’t be making very much money from the deal, including decrease in tax spending.

But that was the original plan–to buy some land like that (in between two existing buildings or on the corner of a parking lot downtown).

Patch
    Participant

stephentszuter said:
    Yeah, that is essentially what I am looking to do, but I wonder why they might be asking for so much…

I think I will contact the intern that worked for that architectural firm… he might be able to help me figure out the design side of it…

As per the expensive lots, that’s what I’m trying to avoid the most, without having to go into…less friendly neighborhoods.

The balance between cost and quality of neighborhood/architectural restrictions… that’s what I’m trying to find.

PS – If any of you have any extra space on your own lot… let me know! :)

Just curious, have you looked into what the City of Columbus/Franklin County’s minimum lot size/dimensions are?

heresthecasey
    Participant

stephentszuter said:
    Yes, and that is what I want, ideally, but as you suspected, it has been very difficult to even communicate with these landowners, let alone get them to agree to this “unorthodox” idea.

Like I said, it’s not very common in Columbus, and it’s difficult to convince the landowners (very often large corporations) to subdivide their property and sell it to me, when they most likely wouldn’t be making very much money from the deal, including decrease in tax spending.

But that was the original plan–to buy some land like that (in between two existing buildings or on the corner of a parking lot downtown).

Agreed, I assume that for most of the ideal spaces it would be very hard to make a deal like this.

FWIW though, the first location I listed is a property owned by a local couple who are also architects, planning a rennovation of the site, mentioned here.

They might be more open to this kind of discussion than some large out-of-town corporation, but idk, just an idea.

Good luck! (And keep us updated if you move forward with this)

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Patch said:
    Just curious, have you looked into what the City of Columbus/Franklin County’s minimum lot size/dimensions are?

I did contact the downtown development commission and they told me that there was no required minimum for house square footage, and all lots are zoned as residential or commercial, but I don’t know what the City of Columbus or Franklin County would determine as the minimum lot size.

I know others have had difficulty building microhouses, due to out-dated, post-war era legislation on minimum square-footage, but I guess that’s not an issue here.

I didn’t really think about the fact that they might have a minimum lot size requirement.

I found one that I thought would be a good fit, but then I realized the City of Columbus had other plans for it… http://goo.gl/maps/aDAu9

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I see empty lots for sale off and on in the KLD via Trulia. Could probably find something pretty close to Downtown in this area, probably without too much problem with building something non-traditional.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Walker said:
    I see empty lots for sale off and on in the KLD via Trulia. Could probably find something pretty close to Downtown in this area, probably without too much problem with building something non-traditional.

It’s not entirely the urban experience I am looking for, but I think you’re right in that it may be the most feasible route.

To be honest, I don’t know too much about KLD, other than from random drive-throughs. I will continue to look for possible options.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I think the most frustrating aspect of the search is that there are plenty of parking lots, but I can’t build on any of them…

mrpoppinzs

stephentszuter said:
    I think the most frustrating aspect of the search is that there are plenty of parking lots, but I can’t build on any of them…

Well, there is land available downtown. It just may not be in your price range. In fact, it might be less expensive to buy a building downtown than buy an empty lot.

Those parking lots are popular with investors because they know what they are getting into and can avoid the headaches of older – high utility, high maintenance, high tax bracketed buildings while waiting for a payday.

Patch
    Participant

stephentszuter said:

Have you approached them about leasing? Maybe a 20 year lease with a buyout clause from their end where they reimburse you the costs of your building if they kick you off?

That would allow them to still market their property, allow you to live where you would like, and your development costs would still remain low.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: