Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Where (in/near downtown) can I build a small, modern home?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Steve
    Participant

I want to build a small house on one of the vacant lots in OTE, but I think they are trying to preserve the look of the neighborhood in much the same way that German Village did.

I want to build a modern house. Very modern. I feel like there’s no neighborhood that will let me build a super modern house, except for neighborhoods in which I will need to worry about crime.

I would like to build downtown (43215), but finding a tiny (300-500 sq ft) lot has proved extremely difficult. Most microhouses (mine wouldn’t necessarily be micro, but smaller around 700-1k square feet and three stories) in larger cities are built on land which has been purchased and built on, but the left over land on the lot is too small for the company to use…

They are not as common in the United States, but seem to be picking up steam in San Francisco and some other urban areas.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me get this done? I just want to make a permanent residence downtown, and would prefer to build my own place, instead of buying a soon-to-come condo in a building.

I am having a lot of trouble finding land to do this on (a lot of the downtown landowners/parking lot owners are waiting to win the lottery when a developer decides to buy and develop on that land).

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

leftovers

I don’t think you would have a hard time buying a lot in OTE and I am pretty sure they aren’t going to have many issues with a new build.

I am wondering what your budget is?

ricospaz
    Participant

Plenty of empty lots on the South Side.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

There’s a great lot for sale on Franklin Park West that I’ve always thought would be perfect for a smaller modern home. Towards Fair next to an Italianate style home with wrought iron fence.

ETA there aren’t a whole lot of Zoning/Historical type restrictions that I’m aware of in FP right now at all?

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I don’t think you would have a hard time buying a lot in OTE and I am pretty sure they aren’t going to have many issues with a new build.

I am wondering what your budget is?

Budget is anywhere from 50-100k for a new, 700-1000 sq ft, 3-story home (third story might just be patio roof thing)… I’ve priced some of those lots at around $10-30k.

I think the issue with building in OTE (at least on Franklin Avenue) is that I want to build a modern home… something that might look somewhat like this. Kind of… It would look less out-of-place than that house, but you get the idea. There’s nothing else in that neighborhood like that…

But you’re probably right, if I were to build somewhere further East, or South, it might be a lot easier.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Snarf said:
    There’s a great lot for sale on Franklin Park West that I’ve always thought would be perfect for a smaller modern home. Towards Fair next to an Italianate style home with wrought iron fence.

ETA there aren’t a whole lot of Zoning/Historical type restrictions that I’m aware of in FP right now at all?

I’d prefer to be closer to downtown than that.

joev
    Participant

A while back (maybe a year ago), there were several lots in Schumacker Place with modern-designed home plans in place for the buyer. Might be a close-in option without the architectural restrictions of German Village.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

From Franklin Park West/Broad to Downtown is just minutes away.

Good luck!

bucki12

If you can build it for anywhere near 50k (for a new build) I would be amazed. I think just plugging into city utilities is gonna cost $$.

johnwirtz
    Participant

geoyui
    Participant

stephentszuter said:
    There’s nothing else in that neighborhood like that…

There’s a first for everything. The link you posted, where is that from (Japan, Europe)? Good Luck!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s new modern buildings planned for both Italian and Victorian Villages:

Jeffrey Park Will Add Over 1300 New Residences to Italian Village

Aston Place Bringing Modern Living to Victorian Village

If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    There’s new modern buildings planned for both Italian and Victorian Villages:

Jeffrey Park Will Add Over 1300 New Residences to Italian Village

Aston Place Bringing Modern Living to Victorian Village

If it can be done there, it can be done anywhere.

Not to derail, but what are those units/homes called that are right along the north side of 670 in Italian village? I heard they will have a mechanical car parking system installed?

dru
    Participant

I think the project is simply referred to as Russell at Kerr
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/what-is-that-new-building-in-italian-village
    The design has some similarities, but a lot in Italian Village would ruin his budget.

Patch
    Participant

geoyui said:
    Not to derail, but what are those units/homes called that are right along the north side of 670 in Italian village? I heard they will have a mechanical car parking system installed?

Seriously!

I want to know what the heck those things are as well. They look incredibly small/narrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: