Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where I Eat - Weekender

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Where I Eat – Weekender

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 413 total)
  • Author

lisathewaitress
    Participant

BCOZ wrote The weekender has gone from bad to worst and this article is a great example.

They interview some vapid chick who thinks Bob Evans is a brunch destination and whose fave restaurant is the one she knows the directions to.

Oh…and she thinks dragons are cute.

Is this a cry for help?

Are they trying to lose subscribers on purpose? (Keeping Stahler is another good indicator of that)

In other words…WTF dispatch???

+1

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

The Dispatch wrote WHERE I EAT

Tim Carr

Residence: Westerville

Thursday, Aug 2, 2007

Q What is your favorite restaurant?

A Probably Isabella’s (Downtown), where I just went today, or San Francisco Oven (Downtown).

San Francisco Oven has really good personal pizzas that they make fresh right there, and they’re usually pretty quick. They have sandwiches, too, but they are not as good as Isabella’s.

Q What kind of sandwich did you get from Isabella’s?

A The New World Sandwich, with turkey, bean sprouts, roasted red peppers and an aioli sauce.

Q Where is the best place to go for a business meeting?

A Probably Lindey’s in German Village. It has good food and a good selection.

German Village would probably be my choice if I were going to a business lunch. The atmosphere is nice — the urbanism. It’s quaint.

Q Where does your money go the furthest?

A Isabella’s for quality vs. quantity.

Q How much do you pay for a sandwich there?

A About $6, unless I get something to drink.

Q Where might you go to eat, then stay for the rest of the night?

A Old Bag of Nails. They have live music. My wife and I go there quite a bit. A good friend of ours is in a band that plays there sometimes.

Q Where would you go for some really good Italian?

A Carrabba’s (Italian Grill) at Polaris; it has a garden on the roof. Martini (Italian Bistro) is good, too.

READ MORE

shroud
    Participant

Oof! Man, someone needs to help that man find some better “really good Italian”…

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

haha, yeah.

And I really do not understand the love for San Francisco Pizza Oven! I have given that place several chances, really wanting to like it and every time I have been disappointed with (mostly) the crust not being done enough. ugh.

shroud wrote Oof! Man, someone needs to help that man find some better “really good Italian”…

have you eaten at carabba’s?? I love the food there, it’s very good.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbus_local wrote have you eaten at carabba’s?? I love the food there, it’s very good.

I’ve only been once, but I thought it was pretty standard chain-italian fare. Maybe a step above Olive Garden, but not really worth the 45-minute wait.

I mean, pasta is pasta. There’s only so much you can dress it up when you’re eating in a strip mall without feeling like you’re paying too much for it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anne wrote haha, yeah.

And I really do not understand the love for San Francisco Pizza Oven! I have given that place several chances, really wanting to like it and every time I have been disappointed with (mostly) the crust not being done enough. ugh.

Yes…and here we have another cringe-inducing “Where I Eat”.

OK…so the guy works near high and main…and has lunch at 2 places next to his office.

When he goes out for dinner, he has 1 destination The Bagga.

How does this one-note Johnny get selected for the article?

Lisa, Walker were GREAT candidates for the article and now it has become a joke.

Next week: a 15 year old who only eats at Subway will be featured.

Again I ask the Disgrace….WTF?

shroud
    Participant

BCOZ wrote How does this one-note Johnny get selected for the article?

Lisa, Walker were GREAT candidates for the article and now it has become a joke.

Next week: a 15 year old who only eats at Subway will be featured.

Again I ask the Disgrace….WTF?

Because only people who share the same tastes as you should be included? :roll: Just because I didn’t dig on some of his choices doesn’t mean I don’t think his voice should be heard.

I’d personally much rather have a diverse group of folks, yes, INCLUDING people who dig on chains, then to hear about the same dozen places downtown and in the Short North over and over again.

columbus_local wrote have you eaten at carabba’s?? I love the food there, it’s very good.

Yes. It’s better than some, but still very “meh” IMO. If you’re on Polaris anyway. drive the mile or so east and eat at Carfagna’s Kitchen instead. I liked their spaghetti noodles so much I could eat them plain!!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

David Wilson

Residence: German Village

Q. Where was the last place you ate?

A. Flatiron (Bar and Diner, Downtown).

Q. Favorite food there?

A. The poor-boy sandwich. They also do gumbo well, and the chili is good, too.

Q. What is your favorite restaurant?

A. G. Michael’s (in German Village). Everything has been really good, and the people are nice.

Q. What do you get there?

A. The strip-steak special. The lasagna is the best, and the house salad is really good, too.

Q. What spot has the largest portions?

A. I can’t really pick a place that’s lacking. I generally find two or three places that I really like and know I’m going to be satisfied, and then it’s hard for me to try something new.

Q. So what are the others besides G. Michael’s?

A. The Flatiron . . . on Nationwide Boulevard and the Press Grille on High Street. The Press Grille has a really good pepperoni pizza — especially the crust.

READ MORE

ballbrite

He is a walking G Michaels ad!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lara Kretler

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:18 AM

Q What’s your favorite restaurant?

A Picking one favorite is so hard. I really like ethnic food, so my new favorite is Bayleaf (India Bistro) on Polaris (Parkway). The food is superb, and you feel like you’re in a Bollywood dance. They have a buffet that would make you cry.

Q What’s the latest in Lara Kretler eating trends?

A My latest passion is Indo-Chinese fusion. I’m calling it the holy grail. Cuisine of India has a great Indo-Chinese buffet; that’s killer. New on . . . (Sawmill Road) is the Inchin’s Bamboo Garden, and that’s Indo-Chinese fusion.

READ MORE

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am surprised no one has said Chipotle yet. If I honestly had to pick my favorite place to eat i think Chipotle would win. I absolutely love their food, and I eat there at least 3 times a week. Chipotle is a God send there is no place, I have found, that gives you the quality food, the gigantic portions, for this amazingly low price, best restaurant ever.

shroud
    Participant

Hey, mentions for Bayleaf, Hunan House, and Hoover Grille — nice!

Some of my favorite places from up on the north side of town. Bayleaf is still fairly new, but man are they tasty (both buffet and non-buffet).

honavery

I am surprised no one has said Chipotle yet. If I honestly had to pick my favorite place to eat i think Chipotle would win. I absolutely love their food, and I eat there at least 3 times a week. Chipotle is a God send there is no place, I have found, that gives you the quality food, the gigantic portions, for this amazingly low price, best restaurant ever.

+1

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

shroud wrote Hey, mentions for Bayleaf, Hunan House, and Hoover Grille — nice!

I had never heard of Hoover Grille, but went to the website and really looks pretty sharp!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 413 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: