Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where do you stay when you go to NYC?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Where do you stay when you go to NYC?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

We are heading there on an East Coast junket this summer and I have a hotel reservation in Times Square. People who go to the city dont really recommend this in the couple conversations I have had so I thought I would go to the experts.

Usually if we visit a city, such as DC, we basecamp at a cool, outside the city place on a transit line(ie Bethesda on the red line in DC.) Anyone do this for NYC, or does anyone have a recommendation of a place to stay?

phaedrus
    Participant

I really enjoyed park slope over the winter and plan to setup base there again this fall. Dumbo would be a good option as well.

With airBnB you can get a nice spot in all boroughs for a very fair price.

M.O.
    Participant

A high floor in the Rock Center Hilton if the rates are right, otherwise, don’t rule out a $130 Hampton in New Jersey on the train line. (Second scenario can get expensive if you have more than two in your party due to the train ticket cost).

As for Times Square, this is a much less noisy place to bunk down now that most traffic is prohibited in the area, but many hotels there have cram-’em-in floor plans.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

On a budget?

If not, in Brooklyn – The Wythe. In Manahattan – The Hudson.

AlanBarber
    Participant

I’ve stayed at the Americana Inn (69 W 38th St) a few times.

For 110 + tax a night you get basically a bed stuffed into a walk in closet w/ shared bathrooms but it’s still comfortable and a perfectly centered location for seeing the city. It’s spitting distance from Time Square, Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center and The Empire State Building.

It’s by far the least fancy place you could stay but if you’re planning to be out on the town all day it works great for a central place to safely keep your luggage and catch a few winks at night.

Wootie
    Participant

A few times when we’ve driven there, we stay at the Ramada in Jersey City right by the Journal Square PATH station. It was super cheap (for NYC area) and there’s a parking garage right by the hotel. 15 minutes to Greenwich Village on the train.

Also stayed at a Country Inn (!) in Long Island City, new building, free breakfast, also cheap and close to midtown.

If you want to stay in the city, the Cosmopolitan Hotel near City Hall/TriBeCa was perfect – train access was awesome. More pricey, but if you want to cover a lot of ground, this is a great location.

If you can handle a shared bath situation, the Hotel 17 is a terrific value. Close to Union Square. My wife and I have stayed here a few times now.

Good luck! I would also not recommend staying near Times Square/midtown. Yuck.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

phaedrus said:
    With airBnB you can get a nice spot in all boroughs for a very fair price.

+1

Used it for DC and had a great experience. We price shopped a few places to stay in NYC but ended up not going. Would certainly use it for there.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/New-York–NY

Adlen

Mostly I love to stay in West Village Stroll when I go there. Central park is also a good place to stay but I love West Village Stroll. Try to stay there.

peanutnozone
    Participant

AmyJ
    Participant

My NYC property owner friends have said airbnb is not necessarily legal due to new regulations. I’d be cautious.

I most recently stayed at Pointe Plaza at the edge of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. The rooms were surprisingly big with free (!!) parking which was awesome since it was Stop #1 in our road trip. I think I paid around $110/night and it included a (not-great) free breakfast. The hotel manager is one of the best though. I will stay there again.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I stayed here once and it was pretty cool for no frills. They also had a nice roof top patio.

home

geoyui
    Participant

A couple years ago, I stayed at World Center Hotel, which is right next to the Freedom Tower site. Our window looked out into a massive pit. So the rates were pretty good at that time.

Wherever you go, check for bedbugs. There’s a site that monitors bedbugs reports in NYC. World Center Hotel had 1 report at the time.

fensterbme
    Participant

If cash is tight head to Brooklyn (especially if one tends to like indie and hipster stuff)… I personally used to enjoy staying at the old Ian Schrager hotels (Hudson, Royalton) and the Tribecca Grand, but now I when I’m in NYC it’s for work which for me means midtown.

Know that if a hotel is pretty inexpensive there is more than likely a reason, I’d also recommend reading reviews of wherever you are looking to stay through sites like Trip Advisor, etc. to see what folks think who have stayed there recently (older reviews aren’t worth much as the place my have changed ownership or be undergoing construction or something may be going on in the area).

I personally try to steer as far clear of time square as possible, the place is filled with tourists, and has businesses that cater mostly to tourists (cramped hotels, chain retailers, etc.). It’s not where NYC residents go and IMO you miss the great places in NYC when folks just see the touristy spots.

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

That is kind of ironic as I have visited NYC hundreds of times and my most recent favorite hotel in The Strand in, of all places, the Times Square area. Yes, TS is not cool. It is largely devoid of good restaurants. But, it is central to all areas of Manhattan. The Strand is a gem of a hotel-it’s only a few years old and the rooms are fantastic by NYC standards. Not cheap, but a good deal. Incredible staff. In a pinch, if in need of a bite, the hotel restaurant is quite solid.

Under no circumstances should you stay in Times Square

Try the Holiday Inn Manhattanview in Long Island City; Astoria/LIC is going to be cheaper, easier to park in and closer to Midtown than comparably priced rooms in mid-to-outer Brooklyn. If the G is running you can also get to North & Central Brooklyn without taking the train through Manhattan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.