Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Where can I buy old lumber?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Where can I buy old lumber?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

I want some old/used lumber. No specific size — general plank form, many dimensions would work. I have this notion to attempt to build a table for my back patio. I do specifically want old/used lumber (I’m refraining from saying “wood”). CL isn’t turning up much.

Any suggestions? Experiences? Prices you’ve encountered?

(Feel free to give me table-building tips, too.)

J.R. Locke

I have a bunch of old pallets (skids)….junk wood but could make a suitable table of some sort. Free.

This won’t help you tremendously, but free stuff on Craig’s List all the time; odds are you will find it there (especially if you put an add in saying you will pick up any lumber people are getting rid of).

Don Ruben

Columbus Freecycle.

TaraK
    Participant

@ J.R. Locke: How difficult do you think it would be to take them apart?

So I don’t suppose there’s a business/store/yard somewhere that just happens to sell used lumber? I thought one might exist.

rus
    rus
    Participant

To take apart pallets… just time with a ripping bar, maybe a pipe for leverage, no?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I’d be very careful with old lumber. Anything pressure treated before 2004 has CCA and should never be cut, burned, or used where it is likely that people will contact the surface.

If you can find non-treated lumber, then it should be fine.

Lakee911
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    I’d be very careful with old lumber. Anything pressure treated before 2004 has CCA and should never be cut, burned, or used where it is likely that people will contact the surface.
    If you can find non-treated lumber, then it should be fine.

Wear a dust mask when cutting it and don’t eat it or eat off it and you’ll be okay.

joev
    Participant

Any reason in particular you’re looking for old lumber rather than new? If you’re going for the look, try searching for barn wood. If it’s for green reasons, that will probably be a lot less expensive, but you’ll probably have a harder time finding uniform/square/non nail hole riddled pieces. I’d recommend against using pallet parts – they tend to be rough, thin and spintery.

TaraK
    Participant

@ joev: For the look as well as the eco reasons. I don’t mind it looking rough, but since this will be a table to eat off of, it needs to be be sturdy enough to hold plates and glasses w/o bowing, which might be an issue w/pallet wood. Barn wood is an option, though. Any specific store you recommend buying it from?

Lakee911
    Participant

There has been some very nice furniture made from pallets. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&ei=phfnS5ubI4OC8gbFuP3sDA&sa=X&oi=spellfullpage&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CBoQvwUoAQ&q=pallet+furniture&spell=1

You may need to laminate a few pieces though to make it sturdy enough.

LauraA

you could try Columbus architectural salvage on 3rd and edgehill. they are only open fri and sat. it can be pricey but they may have what you’re looking for.

LauraA

you could try Columbus architectural salvage on 3rd and edgehill. they are only open fri and sat. it can be pricey but they may have what you’re looking for.

LauraA

J.R. Locke

Pallet wood is not good for eating off of. But you could possibly sand down and treat.

Anyway I have made a lot of furniture with pallet wood. It will be sturdy enough. Good 2×4’s can be salvaged and the plank wood is average.

They are free. If you want them let me know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: