Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Wheeler Dog Park: a brief review

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Wheeler Dog Park: a brief review

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

blammo
    Participant

I just noticed it was open yesterday and walked Luke down there. If you aren’t familiar with this place, it’s a fenced in, dedicated dog park behind the Giant Eagle on Neil Avenue in Victorian Village.

Unlike the postage stamp-sized dog park downtown, this one is a substantial 2+ acres (based on my unscientific measurements that may or may not stand up to greater scrutiny), with several hills & lots of trees. There’s plenty of room for dozens of dogs to frolic in several groups or to take your dog to an isolated corner for some alone time. There’s also a water spigot, but it doesn’t seem to be turned on yet. Nevertheless (the whole leash law factor that these parks represent notwithstanding)…I love the place. I’ve been there twice in two days and plan on making it a daily pilgrimage.

Unlike at Goodale, there’s no danger of dogs running off or harassing non-dog people, and similarly, no dog haters would ever think to cut through the park. I enjoyed the few times I went to Goodale for the most part, but its sheer size & the strained relationship between the dog owners & civilians made it a bit challenging for my personal tastes. Wheeler is a much-needed (and appreciated) dog oasis & I encourage dog owners to come & check it out.

Sounds awesome, can’t wait to bring Bugs over there to eat Luke :D

berry

That is great news!

We didn’t know it was open yet. The pup will have to check it out tomorrow.

blammo
    Participant

I have recently been informed that my acreage assessment skills SUCK and that Wheeler Park is closer to 1/2-3/4 of an acre. So…there you go. Luke & I are headed there now, yaaay!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    I have recently been informed that my acreage assessment skills SUCK and that Wheeler Park is closer to 1/2-3/4 of an acre. So…there you go. Luke & I are headed there now, yaaay!

I never said they SUCK…they were just a bit skeeeeeeewed.

blammo
    Participant

Nevermind, I’m going back to my original assessment. 1.5 acres at least.

43206SLS

I went there today for the first time. I liked it better than the parks in Gahanna or Westerville. It will be nice once they get the water fountain working. It’s so convenient to have something near downtown! Thanks Columbus Parks! I plan to volunteer there – if you’d like to help, contact Mark Young ([email protected])

jeffz

Are there often other dogs there? Goodale seems to always be packed, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I was curious if people are even aware that this park exists as an alternative to Goodale.

berry

We just got back from the park and there was a constant stream of dogs coming in and out. There was a short time when there were only 3-4 other dogs, but usually more than that.

Our pup had a really fun time!

We’ve been there twice now and absolutely love it! This is one of the best things to happen in the village in a long time. Great work!

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

Yeah, I’m so in the habit of going to Goodale, I went over there Saturday. There did seem to be fewer dogs in Goodale. I’ll give it a try Tuesday night – when do the most people Congregate? 6pm or so?

It wouldn’t be a bad idea for the people what want to get Wheeler dog park off the ground to do some promo stuff for it on weekends, like get get a corporate sponsor to hand out free little bags of sample dog treats, or have some rescue agencies sponsor some weekends. I’ll be honest, I take my dogs to the park so they can play with other dogs, if there aren’t dogs in Wheeler, I won’t take them there. I’m willing to give it a shot for a month or so, to help get it off the ground, but, ultimately, my dogs needs are more important.

– Devo

Great to hear the positive feedback from so many folks on Wheeler Dog Park. There is some initial work being done for an official kick-off, and a Friends of Wheeler Dog Park group will be started soon. I know they’d love to have you all involved. For now, signs in Goodale are attempting to let more folks know about Wheeler. Sorry they are still putting the kick off and events all together, but continue to enjoy the park and spread the word. I’m a little in the loop, so until the new Friends group is established and someone takes the lead, I’ll post information here so you all can join in, too :)

blammo
    Participant

Every time I’ve been to Wheeler there’s been a steady stream of dogs (and owners) coming and going. The most empty I’ve seen it was Sunday morning at 10 or so, & even then there were always 2 or 3 other owners there.

The owners I spoke with were pretty happy to have an alternative to Goodale. Due to its fenced in nature, Wheeler might be a great choice if you have a dog that needs a little more attention or may be prone to running off. My dog is a big ol’ sweetheart, but I can’t guarantee that he’ll respond to my commands 100% of the time, so I’m not really excited to take him to an unsecured place off-leash where non-dog people will be strolling through. Not that Wheeler is the ghetto for dogs with behavioral problems, lol. But it’s already such a hit (from my take on it anyway), that I don’t think it’s going to need any promotion to be popular with dogs & their owners. All it needs now is that water spigot turned on!

What’s the story on the fence, btw? Bugs can get through all the fencing at Schiller (he goes in and out of the circle around the statue and pisses off all the big dogs).

blammo
    Participant

I haven’t seen any dogs slip through the fence yet, but they’ve all been too preoccupied with romping to even try. It seems pretty thoughtfully constructed though. I’ll snap some photos this evening when I go down there.

I hate to sound like such a fanboy, but it’s always a pleasant surprise when the exact thing you were hoping for actually gets built & done well. I hope this doesn’t lead to making Goodale off-limits for dogs however.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: