Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's next for Ted Strickland?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics What’s next for Ted Strickland?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Did Obama offer Strickland a job?

Posted by Joe Hallett, senior editor on December 7, 2010

In a gaggle with reporters today, Gov. Ted Strickland was asked if he had discussed a job for himself when he met with President Barack Obama for about 20 minutes Dec. 2 at the White House. Strickland hinted that the subject had been broached.

READ MORE: http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2010/12/did_obama_offer_strickland_a_j.shtml

gramarye
    Participant

That’s an interesting possibility indeed. I like Strickland, and I think his kind of more blue-collar, Midwestern Democratic views have been put on the back burner at the White House. I wouldn’t mind seeing him go there at all (though there would be a chance he would be marginalized there fairly quickly, like many others who might have brought such views to the administration, including Hillary Clinton, whose profile has been very low for a while now).

We just passed the midterm elections. This is the time when many Cabinet secretaries (regardless of how the president’s party did in the midterms) start looking for the exits. The jobs are brutal, underpaid, and often thankless, though they can be builders of prestige and careers. I don’t know if Obama would consider Strickland for a Cabinet appointment and I don’t know what Cabinet positions may come open in the next three months or so. Nevertheless, if something of that order materialized, I’d wish Strickland all the best in D.C.

Mike Brown
    Participant

I would think that Gov. Strickland, AG Cordray, and others would all be good options for Federal service. Gov. spend years doing a great job in Congress for Southern Ohio and AG is a remarkable attorney and advocate who will be missed every day if he goes. His record with US Supreme Court is good and he shown a strong ability to tackle major corporate issues.

Kahiki

It’d be cool if there was a way for the President to hire these guys to Federal positions IN Ohio, so that we don’t have to lose them.

berdawn

Maybe he and Voinovich team up and institute a right but not batshit crazy party?

berdawn wrote >>
    Maybe he and Voinovich team up and institute a right but not batshit crazy party?

Good idea.

A.

gk

retirement in appalachian ohio

+1

He is 69 years of age.

I’d bet he might teach a college class or two once in a while.

gk wrote >>
    retirement in appalachian ohio

rory
    Participant

rustbelt
    Participant

If Strickland gets an appointment/position in DC with the Obama administration, the only real work he’s going to be asked to do is shake the money tree in Ohio when the 2012 re-election campaign gets underway. Obama knows this. Strickland knows this.

(/political realities)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Strickland appoints several advisers, allies to state boards
    THURSDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2010 02:55 AM
    BY MARK NIQUETTE
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

With the end of his tenure fast approaching, outgoing Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland is taking care of some of his key staffers and supporters.

Yesterday, he appointed several members of his staff and cabinet, as well as Democratic legislators and others, to various state boards and commissions.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/09/copy/strickland-appoints-several-advisers-allies-to-state-boards.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ohio stronger now, Strickland says
    THURSDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2010 02:54 AM
    BY MARK NIQUETTE
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Highlighting his efforts to promote advanced energy, education and other priorities, Gov. Ted Strickland gave his final public speech yesterday before leaving office and said he helped lay the foundation for growth.

“There is much that we must leave unfinished,” Strickland said during a 30-minute speech to the Columbus Metropolitan Club at the Athletic Club. “But I know this: The foundation of Ohio is stronger now than the day I took office.”

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/12/16/copy/ohio-stronger-now-strickland-says.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

foxforcefive
    Participant

One word – CITGO.

pilsner
    Participant

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/exclusive-ted-strickland-_n_790489.html

But Strickland’s frustration was evident as the discussion progressed. Talking, unprompted, about the debate over the expiring Bush tax cuts, Strickland said he was dumbfounded at the party’s inability to sell the idea that the rates for the wealthy should be allowed to expire.

“I mean, if we can’t win that argument we might as well just fold up,” he said.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Strickland says he hasn’t yet decided what he’ll do after leaving office
    Posted by Mark Niquette, Statehouse reporter on December 15, 2010

There’s a big picture of outgoing Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland at the top of a Politico story today talking about plans by President Barack Obama to remake his staff next year following stinging mid-term defeats for Democrats this fall.

But responding to the mounting speculation that he’ll take a job in the Obama administration after he leaves office Jan. 9, Strickland insisted today that he has not decided what he’ll do next.

READ MORE: http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2010/12/strickland_says_he_hasnt_yet_d.shtml

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: