Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fireproof Building Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Fireproof Building Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 193 total)
  • Author

labi
    Participant

fitz1 said:
    I hope the management of the new apartment developments at the Fireproof Building and Wonder Bread building think twice before they allow Section 8/welfare housing into these new proposed units.

The fact that other Italian Village apartment complexes like Kramer Place and New Village that charge upwards of $1000+ for regular residents and virtually free (>$100/month) for low income residents is ridiculous when I can think of 5+ friends who would love to be in this location but cannot afford it.

Whether or not it’s true, I don’t think it’s ridiculous. One of the things that supposedly does help low-income families is giving them the opportunity to live in places that are not all low-income families. If you care about giving a real hand up to people who are dealing with situations where life has totally stacked the deck against them, then setting aside a small percentage of apartments in an otherwise market-rate building doesn’t sound ridiculous at all.

In addition I can testify to the verifiable existence of at least a small subset of non-low-income people who prefer to live in a neighborhood that includes people of all income levels.

If these recent studies’ numbers are true and show negative vacancy rates where demand outweighs available units then why are these apartments allowing Section 8/welfare residents? I wouldn’t have as much of an issue if I didn’t have so much first hand experience with living in mixed income housing where these drug addicts and wife beaters are my neighbors.

Thorough tenant screening, clear lease policies, and effective property management can make it so anyone would be satisfied with living in close proximity to anyone else. In Weinland Park, the all-section-8 properties managed by Community Properties of Ohio are a great example. Maybe the problem is more about property owners who think they can rent to vastly different income levels in the same building without investing in different, more intensive property management than they are used to providing to middle/upper-income tenants.

fitz1

I’m just curious…have you ever lived next to drug dealers or gang bangers or are you someone in the burbs w/ no experience living amongst these trashy people with no aspirations or drive to do better? As a young professional going to work everyday seeing someone’s dirty neglected child running around unsupervised in the street, I have a different perspective than someone spouting statistics…

dru
    Participant

i am unsure who that is aimed at?

if me, I suspect we live a few blocks apart in the IV. I have lived here for over 12 years, rented for 5 and owned for 7. as for the other 2 posters, their avatars list where they live, one on Park Street, the other in Weinland Park.

i am still interested in any info that Kramer Place has Section 8.

labi
    Participant

fitz1 said:
    I’m just curious…have you ever lived next to drug dealers or gang bangers or are you someone in the burbs w/ no experience living amongst these trashy people with no aspirations or drive to do better? As a young professional going to work everyday seeing someone’s dirty neglected child running around unsupervised in the street, I have a different perspective than someone spouting statistics…

As my avatar tag says, I live in Weinland Park. I’m going to assume that your extensive experience of urban Columbus living mean you know where that is. And I would say that if that’s the attitude you have about your neighbors, it’s not very surprising that you aren’t feeling the love in your neighborhood.

rory
    Participant

fitz1 said:

As someone who has lived next door to drug dealers I have a different perspective than someone who drives though everyday. It would be much less complicated if drive and aspirations could just be handed out but there are often about nine other factors that get in the way. Not everyone that lives in a poor urban neighborhood is involved in street level pharmaceutical sales – often they’re just poor. There are a raft of studies that show if you take these poor single mothers and their children and mix them in with other income levels and a safe environment that it really helps their mental well-being etc. It’s not going to cure everything but it helps the kids especially. It’s worrisome to think that your kids might get shot. There are a lot more kids inside than you see outside when you drive through. That being said I don’t think it’s a disaster that a few lower income units be mixed in with the Fireproof redevelopment (if it’s even true). Actually it would good for everyone involved. A couple poor families could live someplace decent and the rest of us could enhance our empathy. We have this Calvinist feeling that poor people should live in shitty neighborhoods and suffer for be punished for being poor and I don’t think it’s helpful to anyone. And I’m not even going to touch the not-very-Christian aspect. And the next time you’re driving through park the car and walk around a little. You’re not going to be rolled by the three year old and you’ll get a whole new perspective that might be positive. Just say hi when you do it – it goes a long ways.

Cookie

fitz1 said:
    I wouldn’t have as much of an issue if I didn’t have so much first hand experience with living in mixed income housing where these drug addicts and wife beaters are my neighbors (I know this is generalizing and people will jump all over me on this message board but I have yet to meet one of these residents that is upstanding and employed).

I’m just glad there aren’t any drug addicts or wife beaters in my neighborhood!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

What exactly does this have to do with the Fireproof Building?

labi
    Participant

Walker said:
    What exactly does this have to do with the Fireproof Building?

Mr/Ms Fitz was saying that it would be “ridiculous” if there were any units rented to Section 8 tenants in the Fireproof redevelopment project. But you’re right, probably not really a key focus of the thread.

Mercurius
    Participant

CONCEPTUAL REVIEW
    9. 11-11-11
    998-1024 North High Street
    Elford Development, Ltd./Mike Fitzpatrick (Applicant) Briar Gate Realty, Inc. (Owner)
    An application, photographs, and cut sheets have been submitted.
    Exterior Alterations
    • Exterior alterations to “The Fireproof Building” per the submitted drawings.
    • Development to include retail, multi-family residential, and limited covered parking.
    New Construction
    • New 5,100 square feet retail building at southeast corner of North High Street and Second Avenue, per the
    submitted drawing

jbcmh81
    Participant

Mercurius said:
    CONCEPTUAL REVIEW
    9. 11-11-11
    998-1024 North High Street
    Elford Development, Ltd./Mike Fitzpatrick (Applicant) Briar Gate Realty, Inc. (Owner)
    An application, photographs, and cut sheets have been submitted.
    Exterior Alterations
    • Exterior alterations to “The Fireproof Building” per the submitted drawings.
    • Development to include retail, multi-family residential, and limited covered parking.
    New Construction
    • New 5,100 square feet retail building at southeast corner of North High Street and Second Avenue, per the
    submitted drawing

The new construction size is exactly the same. Still single-story?

Edit: nevermind, just noticed the date.

heresthecasey
    Participant

This would appear to have become a much larger development.

From the February 21 agenda of the IV commission:

1024 North High Street

Elford Development, Ltd. (Applicant) Briar Gate Realty, Inc. (Owner)

An application site plan, rendering, and drawings have been submitted.
    Renovation and New Construction

Renovate the existing “Fireproof Building,” and construct new [b]five (5)[/b] story building, per the submitted drawings.

Sounds much better than the one story structure in the original proposal.

source

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Excellent!

leftovers

and the other goodnews is they are on the right side of the street…

jbcmh81
    Participant

Great news. No new development along High should be 1-2 stories. I think 5 stories is too limiting, but I can’t see any reason to build smaller than that.

ntn4502

Am I missing something? This doesn’t appear to be anything new. I thought we already were aware it was going to be 5 stories, with taking off the backside 2 newer ‘additions’, replacing with a big garage, and somewhat keeping the bones of the front 1/3(original building).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!