Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fireproof Building Redevelopment - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Fireproof Building Redevelopment – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 193 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

I noticed a drilling rig in the parking lot just south of Fireproof – a rig one might use for a subsurface investigation prior to designing a building. Anyone know what’s going on?

ehill27
    Participant

Seems similar to work thats been done on the Checksmart property across the street. I believe that both properties were former gas stations (see links below).

~~~

1015 N. High Transfer History:
    http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/pbk/Col103/010-48094.pdf

998 N. High Transfer History:
    http://www.franklincountyoh.metacama.com/pbk/Col86/010-39059.pdf

anillo
    Participant

I hope the strike gas and the Checksmart blows up

Pablo
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    Seems similar to work thats been done on the Checksmart property across the street. I believe that both properties were former gas stations (see links below).

Interesting, I didn’t know there was a gas station there before the KFC. According to this, an environmental assessment is recommended during a property transfer. An underground investigation is part of the deal. Maybe someone is looking into purchasing the site(s)?

ehill27
    Participant

Hopefully. Checksmart is one of the worst eyesores in the SN.

Wonder if there’s a way to verify the purpose of these explorations.

ehill27
    Participant

New 5,100 square foot “retail building” on 11/15 IV agenda, plus conversion of Fireproof building to retail and multi-family residential.

See item #9 on page 4: http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2011/2011%20IVC%20NOV.agd.pdf

cbus11

This is great news and a boon to a somewhat troublesome corner.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just heard a bit more about this yesterday. Funny that it got brought back up. ;) Digging into it now for more details. Stay tuned!

leftovers

Walker said:
    Just heard a bit more about this yesterday. Funny that it got brought back up. ;) Digging into it now for more details. Stay tuned!

I think it was brought up in the Wonderland thread. It is nice, that corner has had some serious issues lately. I know some people who were accosted. Hopefully new developement will clear out the trash hanging out in that area.

Pablo
    Participant

Drilling rigs are the harbingers of good news in urban redevelopments.

leftovers

ehill27 said:
    Checksmart is one of the worst eyesores in the SN.

+1

placebohigh
    Participant

I guess I was always under the impression the Fireproof building was utilized already in some sort of business capacity. Any more details about what this is supposed to become?

futureman
    Participant

placebohigh said:
    I guess I was always under the impression the Fireproof building was utilized already in some sort of business capacity. Any more details about what this is supposed to become?

It doesn’t look they’ve updated yet – It was to be heard on 11/15 (today).

http://development.columbus.gov/planning/italianvillage.aspx

Typically they will post the results of the meetings which often include b/w renderings.

From the PDF –

Exterior Alterations
    Exterior alterations to “The Fireproof Building” per the submitted drawings.
    Development to include retail, multi-family residential, and limited covered parking.

New Construction
    New 5,100 square feet retail building at southeast corner of North High Street and Second Avenue, per the submitted drawings.

It sounds like they plan converting the entire building to residential (w/first floor going retail), then using the existing surface lot to put 5,100 sf of retail space with the rest the space being used for a private parking structure. To give you an idea, (somehow Apex?) plan on 18,000 sf of retail at former Ibiza site, so it looks like most of the current surface lot at the fireproof building would be used for “limited covered” parking.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

^^A one story building and carports. (Sarcastic applause)

reelfreak
    Participant

Fireproof stores paper records and electronic media for businesses. My company is a client.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 193 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO