Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What was Skully's called before it became Skully's?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What was Skully’s called before it became Skully’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author

enzo
    Participant

Is it the sunset lounge? I saw that place police taped off one nightfor a shooting…..that place is cool though…pre bristol

Cookie

Hael wrote >>
    now I am really confused.

At least you’re not as confused as enzo.

lifeliberty
    Participant

enzo wrote >>
    Is it the sunset lounge? I saw that place police taped off one nightfor a shooting…..that place is cool though…pre bristol

Oh yeah, you know it girl. The Sunset Lounge, the soul food place, was totally pre-Bristol.

Hael

enzo wrote >>

True story. I went in there last summer at random. If Ive driven by it once, I have driven buy it a thousand times. Anywho, I was riding my Harley Davidson and parked it right at the curb right in front of place. As I walked in, I heard the words “get yo ass kicked”. I pretended to not hear that and just casually walked in, ordered a beer and played some Outkast on the juke box. I was the only white dude in the joint. For the most part I kept to myself other than briefly flirting with some white chick all decked in gangsta style fashion. No one messed with me and I didnt mess with anyone. I walked out and some dudes said ‘nice bike’. I said thanks and roared out of there.

enzo
    Participant

I say uncle to Cookie….I am soooooo confused and I don’t add up most of the time….I try to make sense of the world and it does not work out so well sometimes….

michaelcoyote
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>

Hael wrote >>
    misskitty you cant be that young? maybe im confusing Sugar Shack with something else. We are talking about the place next to Susie Cue?

Were talking about the Sugar shack on 4th right?
    I could be wrong but I think in closed in the late 76’s?
    I was born in 80 :) So not that young

I was familiar with the place on 4th next to Suzi-Q. That place was there until… 1999-2000? It might have been opened and closed under the same name in the 1970s, but I’m not aware..

michaelcoyote
    Participant

enzo wrote >>
    I try to make sense of the world and it does not work out so well sometimes….

so when are we getting signatures back?

misskitty
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

misskitty wrote >>

Hael wrote >>
    misskitty you cant be that young? maybe im confusing Sugar Shack with something else. We are talking about the place next to Susie Cue?

Were talking about the Sugar shack on 4th right?
    I could be wrong but I think in closed in the late 76’s?

I was familiar with the place on 4th next to Suzi-Q. That place was there until… 1999-2000? It might have been opened and closed under the same name in the 1970s, but I’m not aware..

this was 1551 N 4th St. The last date I found was I think it started in late 60’s so anything later then that would be a remake. But this is ok were talking about old Columbus and all. Anyone old enough to remeber the Hustler club on W Gay st ?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>

That’s fairly young.

Either that or I’m too old. :(

enzo
    Participant

It would be cool to see an historical Columbus Scene documentary or nightlife history columbus!!!! Everytime someone mentions Mekka, I soooooo wish I had visited or lived here during that time. Glow sounds like it was a cool club too…where was it located?

Cookie

Yep. Like being really, really high all the time.

dru
    Participant

i also believe Glow was in the Buggyworks building as well, circa 2000.

Let’s see where we go with that.

enzo
    Participant

I love the name….GLOW.

Enigma is a cool name for a club

PARKING BAR sounds cool too dancing 7 days per week!!! http://www.parkingbar.com/

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

Hael wrote >>

enzo wrote >>

True story. I went in there last summer at random. If Ive driven by it once, I have driven buy it a thousand times. Anywho, I was riding my Harley Davidson and parked it right at the curb right in front of place. As I walked in, I heard the words “get yo ass kicked”. I pretended to not hear that and just casually walked in, ordered a beer and played some Outkast on the juke box. I was the only white dude in the joint. For the most part I kept to myself other than briefly flirting with some white chick all decked in gangsta style fashion. No one messed with me and I didnt mess with anyone. I walked out and some dudes said ‘nice bike’. I said thanks and roared out of there.

I used to hangout at the Sunset every now and then when I wanted to “hide” and just chill with a friend or two. Everyone was always super friendly towards us. I did get drunk& buy the bar a round or two one night though& after that, they always remembered me. Once after getting my ass kicked working a busy St Pattys at my bar, a friend wanted to have a drink with me when I got out- around 9pm. I said I would only go somewhere that was not busy bc I needed to escape that craziness. So we went to Sunset& sure enough there were like 3 people there& one lonely little green clover decorating the wall. We had fun until my buddy made me try a shorty of Wild Irish Rose… icky.

Oh& the Sugar Shack was a bar my dad drank at in the 60’s or 70’s it was on the same block as Oldfield’s on 4th…

michaelcoyote
    Participant

SJT wrote >>
    Oh& the Sugar Shack was a bar my dad drank at in the 60’s or 70’s it was on the same block as Oldfield’s on 4th…

The name migrated up 4th to about 19th in the 90s. It was a “cafe” then..

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: