Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I could go for some pierogi’s right now. Where’s the Pierogi King when you need him??

My Polish Grandma’s pierogi dough recipe is SO easy to work with:

3 cups flour w/a pinch of baking powder
    mix in 8 oz. sour cream, 2 eggs 2T oil
    rest 1/2 hour wrapped or in a sealed container
    Makes an awful lot, depending on how thin you roll out the dough

It rolls our beautifully! She swears by Velveeta cheese in the potatoes-fill as you see fit.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Little known fact: Pirogi dough can be pressed into service to make haluski (cabbage and noodles). In fact, that might happen reeeal soon now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    Little known fact: Pirogi dough can be pressed into service to make haluski (cabbage and noodles). In fact, that might happen reeeal soon now.

I made haluski last night! Used egg noodle recipe though…
    2 eggs + 2 yolks (pastured eggs rule! even in winter)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

0Angle wrote >>

michaelcoyote wrote >>

I made haluski last night! Used egg noodle recipe though…
    2 eggs + 2 yolks (pastured eggs rule! even in winter)

yeah. really any excuse for haluski (or halusky for that matter) :-)

DonnaTate

Manatee wrote >>

DonnaTate wrote >>
    I could go for some pierogi’s right now. Where’s the Pierogi King when you need him??

If YOU don’t know I’m sure we don’t either ;)
    P.S. Please start training the Pierogi Prince early

The Prince has to take all the credit for the bacon pierogi. Silly pregnancy cravings! I’m sure he’ll be making them before we know it. He’s always talking about wagyu beef. Waaaagoooo, waaaagoooo!! I knew his first word would be food related LOL

Rockmastermike
    Participant

6 lbs of pastrami and 5 lbs of pork shoulder in the smoker today.

Been working on improving my pastrami recipe a bit, this time starting with Blues Creek beef and curing it (carefully) by hand in a spiced brine instead of using pre-cured corned beef as the base ingredient. My last batch was good, but I expect this approach will give more control over the quality of the meat.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I was at Thurns this morning and they were running the smoker for cheese, the smell of woodsmoke was blowing across Greenlawn.

Mercurius
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    6 lbs of pastrami and 5 lbs of pork shoulder in the smoker today.
    Been working on improving my pastrami recipe a bit, this time starting with Blues Creek beef and curing it (carefully) by hand in a spiced brine instead of using pre-cured corned beef as the base ingredient. My last batch was good, but I expect this approach will give more control over the quality of the meat.

I bought a 15lbs Blues Creek Berkshire Ham last Saturday and have had it curing in 4lbs of kosher salt since then. Ruhlman says a day for every pound of meat then hang it to dry in a cold dark place (coal room.) I’m going to try to let it age for a year.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m having a salad with an odd dressing.

Yesterday I made a cuke salad, and I thought I’d experiment with a plain yogurt dressing with some dill-infused vinegar, and capers. Now I think I know why you don’t hear a lot about yogurt-vinegar dressings.

I shelved that and made a more traditional dressing of yogurt, with dill and salt. That worked out fine.

But I still had that little tub of the weird dressing. So today I mixed a few spoonfuls of it with some ranch dressing, more capers, garlic powder, black pepper, and a bit of dried red habanero flakes.

And so, Sour Dill Ranch Dressing was born.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

So P. bought me this beautiful piece of sushi-grade ahi tuna at Huffman’s Market ($12/lb, can you believe it? Awesome!) and I was at a loss as to what to do with it, until I found this recipe for a salad topped with avocado slices, sesame seed crusted pan seared tuna, wasabi mayo, anago, and masago. OMG, heaven. Gonna make this at least once a week. It’s the kind of little splurge that’s totally worth it, and the fact it’s mostly healthy is a bonus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

JEALOUS!!! :O

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Pastrami and Pork shoulder finished last night around 3am. The marbling in this blues creek brisket is absolutely marvelous when applied to pastrami!

A head-to-head with a few slices of a popular store-purchased pastrami that I happened to have left over here (yeah, I eat a lot of pastrami… you got a problem widat?) were really not at all kind to the purchased stuff. I don’t think I can buy that stuff anymore. Oh well! *grin*

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    Pastrami and Pork shoulder finished last night around 3am. The marbling in this blues creek brisket is absolutely marvelous when applied to pastrami!
    A head-to-head with a few slices of a popular store-purchased pastrami that I happened to have left over here (yeah, I eat a lot of pastrami… you got a problem widat?) were really not at all kind to the purchased stuff. I don’t think I can buy that stuff anymore. Oh well! *grin*

Totally off topic, this isn’t what’s cooking, this is what’s cooked. Please ban this member until he brings a sample of said pastrami to the members of the board, for evaluation of his claims.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

alexs wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

Totally off topic, this isn’t what’s cooking, this is what’s cooked. Please ban this member until he brings a sample of said pastrami to the members of the board, for evaluation of his claims.

As one of the taste testers, I’d say that RRM’s Pastrami handily beat “Brand T”. The pastrami he made was far more flavorful, and I’d say that the desalination steps and extra time in seasoning that RMM gives his pastrami a huge difference in the end product.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

alexs wrote >>

You have a point. I will be happy to provide samples to interested parties.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: