Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

dashinhilliard
    Participant

Frank’s is great – he’s been there a while since 2006, just not well publicized – VERY HELPFUL STAFF!

joev
    Participant

Spaghetti Squash two ways:
    With an almond pesto with the last of the garden’s basil.
    Sauteed in bacon with dried blueberries, walnuts and rosemary.
    So good!

Cookie

joev wrote >>
    Spaghetti Squash two ways:
    With an almond pesto with the last of the garden’s basil.
    Sauteed in bacon with dried blueberries, walnuts and rosemary.
    So good!

How did you cook the squash? I tried roasting it, and it was mushy.

joev
    Participant

Par boiled for the sauteed version, and fully boiled for the pesto. 10-12 minutes should do it for parboiled – five minutes longer for fully cooked. Once you scrape out the spaghetti strands, it’s good to put them on a towel in a strainer so they’re not so soupy.

Bear
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    The result is a sauce that’s thick, but still smooth enough to go through a squirt top on a hot sauce bottle.
    In the business, those bottles are called “woozies” as a corruption of Worcestershire.

Cool, thanks. (I’ve actually looked for woozies around here in a couple of restaurant supply places and not found them… you get them mail order, or is there somewhere locally to find ’em?)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Bear – I thought for sure I’ve seen those at Restaurant Equippers?

Tonight…bourbon marinated bone in chops, skillet mac & cheese and fresh greenie beanies. MMM!

TaraK
    Participant

Cooked this simple recipe for Pumpkin Turkey Chili tonight. While it doesn’t turn out pretty, it does come out delicious. I added a little cinnamon and used different peppers. Fall-appropriate.

DavidF
    Participant

SO wants to cook dinner for me next weekend, but she wants me to come up with the recipe. I thought this was the perfect thread to get some good suggestions. Any thoughts on something delicious, fun, and relatively inexpensive?

Bear
    Participant

DavidF wrote >>
    SO wants to cook dinner for me next weekend, but she wants me to come up with the recipe. I thought this was the perfect thread to get some good suggestions. Any thoughts on something delicious, fun, and relatively inexpensive?

Sure. Rick Bayless’ chili recipe is a fun one to do… actually searing the anchos, etc., gives it great flavor and will give your SO the feeling of actually cooking (rather than dumping powders etc. in a pot).

It’s also an opportunity for her to get a little creative. I usually throw in a bit of ground espresso or unsweetened chocolate, maybe a little Tupelo honey… whatever, to round out the flavor profile I’m looking for. You can give her the basic recipe, but the finished product will be uniquely hers.

joev
    Participant

After a nice weekend of chili, I’m trying to go vegetarian this week. Well, maybe delicious, beefy chili one more time for lunch tomorrow… Any suggestions? I’m stocked up on whole grains and legumes – any suggestions for mung beans and red quinoa? Oatmeal as a dinner pilaf? I got parsnips and rutabaga as well, with not much experience cooking either.

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

I made this last week and not tonight, but I thought I’d share. I adapted it from this recipe[/url].

AUTUMN SANGRIA

1/3 cup dried figs (or 2-3 fresh figs), stemmed and quartered
    2 fresh plums, pitted and sliced
    1 fresh peach, pitted and sliced
    1/4 cup molasses
    1/4 cup brandy
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 750ml bottle red wine (pinot noir or shiraz)
    1 750ml bottle sparkling cider or club soda

In a medium bowl, combine fruit, molasses, brandy and orange juice with enough wine to cover the fruit. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight. When ready to serve, combine fruit mixture with remaining ingredients in large pitcher or bowl.

DavidF
    Participant

@ Bear: That sounds really good. It’s definitely an option I’ll pass on to her.

@ Mae: Oh, I am definitely forwarding her that recipe. She’s a big fan of good Sangria.

Any other ideas out there?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I’ve got some andouille sausage I was going to use in a chili but forgot.

Any ideas outside gumbo? Or have a amazing gumbo recipe anyone?

hungrywoolf
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    After a nice weekend of chili, I’m trying to go vegetarian this week. Well, maybe delicious, beefy chili one more time for lunch tomorrow… Any suggestions? I’m stocked up on whole grains and legumes – any suggestions for mung beans and red quinoa? Oatmeal as a dinner pilaf? I got parsnips and rutabaga as well, with not much experience cooking either.

Rutabaga is called swede in England, that might help if you are googling recipes. It is really good mashed (you can add a spoonful of madeira or sherry). Parsnips can be mashed too but are great roasted, especially with a little something sweet to add to the caramelization. My new BBC Food magazine has a recipe for spiced parsnip soup. It also has roasted swede with parmesan and thyme.
    There is also a recipe for parsnip and mpale syrup cake – similar to a carrot cake I think.

joev
    Participant

@hungrywoolf – I was thinking about a apple/parsnip pie or tart. I think those flavors/textures would work well together. Candied parsnip slices might be nice, too, as a garnish.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: