Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

When it’s cooked to tenderness, run it through a food processor to make a slurry. You could stop here.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Then push it through a seive with the back of a ladle to remove the seeds and pulp. The pulp can be used to infuse vinegar.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The result is a sauce that’s thick, but still smooth enough to go through a squirt top on a hot sauce bottle.

In the business, those bottles are called “woozies” as a corruption of Worcestershire.

misskitty
    Participant

Sausage Gravy, Egg’s, pancakes, fried potatoes
    Breakfast for dinner = Best thing ever

Rockmastermike
    Participant

found a chicken on sale nice and cheap. seasoned it and slowgrilled it up. served with lightly grilled asparagus with herbed goat cheese and a nice homemade sourdough bread. Gave some to my contractor and still have a good 1/3 of a chicken left for lunch tomorrow. Bu-ya!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Decided that I didn’t want some apple cider in the fridge to go to waste, so I made a marinade/sauce out of it to bake with some family-farm pork chops tonight. Turned out quite well! :D

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Decided that I didn’t want some apple cider in the fridge to go to waste, so I made a marinade/sauce out of it to bake with some family-farm pork chops tonight. Turned out quite well! :D

Sounds delightful. God I love pork. I made some chops last night with a nice rub served atop this roasted red pepper sauce that was SO FREAKING GOOD. I used roasted red peppers from a jar bc I didn’t have any red bell pepper, but I did have a yellow bell pepper that I roasted and threw in. Also didn’t have chipotle paste but a half teaspoon of chipotle tobasco did the trick.

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:

4 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped

2 shallots, chopped

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

4 cloves roasted garlic, peeled

1 tablespoon honey

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon chipotle chile puree

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup canola oil

Combine the peppers, shallots, garlic, honey, mustard, and chipotle puree in a blender, season with salt and pepper, and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oil and blend until emulsified.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

It doesn’t ever have to go to waste… http://lifehacker.com/5373351/brew-hard-cider-from-scratch

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

You can also use it to bake/caramelize squash[/url]. really delicious.

AnneD

hungrywoolf wrote >>
    You can also use it to bake/caramelize squash[/url]. really delicious.

+1 That is my favorite squash recipe ever, and I eat a lot of squash!

dashinhilliard
    Participant

Thick cut pork chops with kraut, rivel dumplings, and fresh picked Ohio Melrose apples from Lynd’s fruit farm. Added a dash of cider as well…..

mikegetsit

My girl and i made pork last night as well. We made a pork tenderloin in a cranberry balsamic sauce. It waqs very simple, and we used up the leftover cranberries we had from making a dessert over the weekend!!!!!!

joev
    Participant

I’ve been a pie making machine lately. Pear Butterscotch twice and Rum Raisin Apple Pie twice, the second time with the addition of star anise.

Mercurius
    Participant

Maryland Chesapeake Bay Oysters from a new fishmonger in Columbus.
    http://www.franksfishandseafoodmarket.com/.

I grated Honey Crisp Apples from Lynd’s Fruit Farm and made a sauce of the juice from them, ponzu soy sauce, garlic hot sauce and garnished with rosemary sea salt. Scrumptious but I think next time I’m going to add a sprig of fennel to the mix.

Oyster Motoyaki with homemade mayonnaise and smoked paparika

Rockmastermike
    Participant

i used to love oysters so much… but part of that was the enjoyment of watching my mom look ill when she saw me eating them (steamed).

I’m so allergic now I cant go near ’em. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION