Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    Oh man, look at you go.. Mister “I can’t really cook all that well”..

‘d I say that?

Heh. Thanks. I don’t know about “can’t cook”… it just doesn’t make much sense for me to, usually. But with Colleen out of the action, recovering from tonsil surgery, a guy’s gotta fend for himself. (And cook for her, too, of course… but you probably don’t want to hear about stuff as unexciting as egg drop soup….)

misskitty
    Participant

strawberry pancakes mmmmm

Daz
    Participant

joev wrote >>

frozen twinkies wrote >>
    Beef Wellington
    Large piece of tenderloin, seared
    covered with a layer of foi gras
    put in a puff pastry in the oven at 400 degrees with an egg wash.
    Served with garlic mashed potatos, asperagus and freshly ground horseradish.

I don’t detest it, but I definitely don’t get into it.
    So good it makes PETA cry

Does anyone else just detest the taste of foie gras? I’m ethically opposed, but thought I’d try it once so I could better understand why others like it. But it was totally, completely gross. And if it’s an acquired taste, why put in the effort and expense?

AnneD

joev wrote >>
    Wheatberries take FOREVER to cook. And they’re not that tasty, really, and kinda squeaky. Just so you know that going in.

I think the cooking time is pretty comparable to brown rice. I love wheat berries and spelt berries, but they aren’t texturally good with everything (for example: not so good with the kidney bean curry – too much popping all around.)

I had a great wheat berry salad years ago, and I’ve been copying it ever since; basically it is wheat berries, chopped apples and a little maple syrup. The crunch of apples goes really well with the pop of the wheat.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

Something about gray, cool days that always makes me want to cook soup. Today’s choice is homemade spicy vegetable with black beans.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Not only do I not detest foie gras, I’d make a house out of it and live inside if I could. I’d probably have my clothes and shoes crafted from it too. And I’d drive a car molded from fatty duck liver pate.
    And it would have big fat truffles for wheels.
    That is all.
    I’d probably even put foie gras on my grilled cheese.
    Yep.
    I said it.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    Not only do I not detest foie gras, I’d make a house out of it and live inside if I could. I’d probably have my clothes and shoes crafted from it too. And I’d drive a car molded from fatty duck liver pate.
    And it would have big fat truffles for wheels.
    That is all.
    I’d probably even put foie gras on my grilled cheese.
    Yep.
    I said it.

LOL!!
    I have to say -I REALLY enjoy the foie gras as well. I only indulge once or twice a year bc it is sooo bad for you :( Plus- not something you see too frequently on menus. I do think it is one of those “love it or hate it” things though. And if you are a vegetarian, you are prolly destined for the hate-it group.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I put a chicken in brine about 15 minutes ago, it will go into the oven about an hour later. I showed the technique to my sister and she wrote it down.

Tried a new trick, since I usually have an onion in the cavity I put it in with the brine to help fill the space so I could use less brine. I only made 1 cup and it’s barely enough for a ~5-pound bird.

I had hoped to butterfly it and grill it, as I have done once before, but the weather is too unstable.

After that, we’re going to Spatula City!

Open till midnight!

Mercurius
    Participant

Chai Tea Creme Brulee

Rockmastermike
    Participant

last night I tried out my new vertical roaster and grilled up a nice chicken.

It was REALLY good, and we collected enough fat from the drip pan that we’ll be able to make mazoball soup sometime soon.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    last night I tried out my new vertical roaster and grilled up a nice chicken.
    It was REALLY good, and we collected enough fat from the drip pan that we’ll be able to make mazoball soup sometime soon.

I’m glad I got a chance to see the Big Green Egg in action.. The down side is that now I have a pretty serious case of “Egg envy”, and I’m pretty sure I need one for my porch now..

BTW, that was some excellent chicken.. I liked how the skin came out paper thin and crispy and the chicken itself was moist and tender… I think if I had an “egg” I’d be going through at least a chicken a week

Rockmastermike
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    BTW, that was some excellent chicken..

thanks! :)

catnfiddle
    Participant

Considering we’re one month away from the start of Passover, it’s probably a good idea to put that schmaltz to good use for a second attempt to make my matzo balls a little less dense (but not too fluffy or I’ll lose Rockhubby’s adoration of them).

Meanwhile, I’ll also need to figure out a decent charoses recipe that won’t defile the kitchen. It involves a food processor, and the only time I tried to help my dad with the preparation, I wound up shooting a bunch of mashed apple across the room and right into his eyes. This is one example of why I’m usually banished from the kitchen, folks!

alison

Homemade brownie chunk, caramel ribbon icing. Several years ago a co-worker gave me Cuisinart ice cream maker. Not being much of an ice cream person I only trot it out a few times a year. But I had such a yen for brownies and ice cream I made brownies just for this.

Mmmmm…. ice cream headache goodness….

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    2 cups chicken stock (skim off the fat first — NOT)
    1/2 cup steel cut Irish oats
    2 pinches salt
    one pinch sage
    one pinch thyme
    bring to boil, simmer for 30 min.
    add butter, drizzle balsamic vinegar

It’s sort of like a rustic oat risotto… simple and delicious.

I used the same basic proportions (4 liquid to 1 oat), but I used turkey stock and diced some shallot and added thinly sliced shitake mushrooms. I then took the risotto idea and ran with it, adding a whole bunch of Parmesan cheese.

The result was a very rich savoury dish.. Almost too rich.. I think if i was going to Do this again, I’d replace 1/4 of the liquid with water (but keep the same amount of cheese, yum!)

As for the texture, I find that steel cut oats has a much better texture than rolled oats which tends to turn out looking like a bowl of wallpaper paste..

I’ll probably do a different variation with water (i’m out of turkey stock and can’t be bothered to make any) and using shredded carrot, celery, fennel and shallot directly in the pot with some mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste..

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: