Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Just finished chowing on brunch.

I made those scrambled eggs. Hot damn those were yummy. I added the chives, but I also added just a bit of shredded jack cheese which made them even creamier. Love, love, loved em.

We also toasted up some bagels and slathered on cream cheese and capers and smoked salmon.

Oh yeah…and there was bacon. There should always be bacon.

We normally don’t chow quite that much for breakfast, but the hangover wants what it wants you know?

Bear…I’m going to definitely have to check out that peanut butter. I used to get the brand called Peanut Butter & Co. at the Fresh Market on Henderson. http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/items_4.html They have a cinnamon raisin swirl and white chocolate that is awesome. They have a honey one and a maple one that are good too, but I’d rather just drizzle my own honey or syrup on my cheapie grocery store peanut butter. :)

Bear
    Participant

Ahh… so glad. :D

We just finished brunch ourselves — Banana-Bean-inspired French toast with fresh-picked strawberries. Life is good.

That peanut butter looks great, Lew, esp. the chocolate. Some of the best peanut butter I’ve ever had was called Teddie, made in the northeast, not sold around here. All natural, incredibly tasty. http://www.teddie.com/peanutButter.html . If you ever see it, don’t pass it up.

robee

A whole pig, lord this is a trip having dad over for Fathers Day BBQ. Had the pit made a couple of weeks ago and this is our first attempt. The whole thing has grossed me out a little. After a few Corona’s I don’t think I will give it much thought I hope.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I just got reaquainted with a really lovely iced tea for the summertime, Japanese Mugicha. I’d had it a few times before, but never under the proper circumstances: served iced on an extremely hot summer day.

Mugicha is not made with tea leaves, but with roasted whole barley grains steeped in water. It has a bitter, nutty, roasted flavor that when served warm smells like pretzels or biscuits. I put cream in it when I serve it hot. When served cold, the flavor is mineral, coffee-like and unbelievably cooling– like drinking water from a clear stream. The sensation of coolness is not extreme as it is with mint flavors, but is instead delicate and longlasting.

Mugicha is traditionally served iced during the summer months in Japan, and elsewhere under different names. It is usually not sweetened, but can be to agreeable effect. It has a centering, nourishing effect, and is prized by macrobiotics. Really great stuff for when the heat has got you feeling discombobulated.

Bitter and sour things are great for wetting your whistle when it is hot, of course– I don’t mean to jostle your beer, lemonade or regular iced tea out of the icebox– but Mugicha might be an enjoyable change of pace. Give it a try, I picked some up at Tensuke Market on Henderson Road. It was only 3 bucks and came conveniently bagged, but with intact whole grains. I guess you could roast it at home, too, but I haven’t tried it yet. Maybe someday. It would probably smell as bewitching as homemade bread.

I think I’m an addict!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Manatee wrote I just got reaquainted with a really lovely iced tea for the summertime, Japanese Mugicha. I’d had it a few times before, but never under the proper circumstances: served iced on an extremely hot summer day.

Mugicha is not made with tea leaves, but with roasted whole barley grains steeped in water. It has a bitter, nutty, roasted flavor that when served warm smells like pretzels or biscuits. I put cream in it when I serve it hot. When served cold, the flavor is mineral, coffee-like and unbelievably cooling– like drinking water from a clear stream. The sensation of coolness is not extreme as it is with mint flavors, but is instead delicate and longlasting.

Mugicha is traditionally served iced during the summer months in Japan, and elsewhere under different names. It is usually not sweetened, but can be to agreeable effect. It has a centering, nourishing effect, and is prized by macrobiotics. Really great stuff for when the heat has got you feeling discombobulated.

I love Mugicha. To my taste, it’s wetter than water and the perfect thing for a hot day. I also like it as a an after exercise drink and a hangover remedy :-)

I wouldn’t really say that it has a strong bitter taste, but concur with the roasted nut and slight coffee flavours.

I sometimes use it as a mixer for vodka or inexpensive shochu. I serve it in a Collins glass over ice with a jigger of vodka or shochu if available. Garnish with a mint sprig.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Chinese Duck Liver sausage cooked in the rice cooker with rice. Braised scapes served on the side.

Delicious!

Thanks to Vivschmack for verifying that I wouldn’t destroy my rice cooker cooking sausage and rice together this way.

Bear
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote Chinese Duck Liver sausage cooked in the rice cooker with rice. Braised scapes served on the side.

Delicious!

Thanks to Vivschmack for verifying that I wouldn’t destroy my rice cooker cooking sausage and rice together this way.

That sounds like a superb way to cook the sausages.

I’d never tried garlic scapes before a couple of nights ago. We got them from Just This Farm at North Market and Colleen grilled them up with some brats and bok choi. Drizzled a bit of balsamic over the bok choi, didn’t really do much to the scapes (a little oil maybe?). Delicious!!

shmack

oh oh oh!!! scapes!! my mom does two inch pieces and wok stirfried with sliced cured pork. since i can’t get that stuff here, i just use thick cut bacon. MMMM. okay, i take back what i said last night about no where to learn. OBVIOUSLY, i’m an asshat.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

shmack wrote oh oh oh!!! scapes!! my mom does two inch pieces and wok stirfried with sliced cured pork. since i can’t get that stuff here, i just use thick cut bacon.

Ok, I think I saw cured pork when I was buying the sausage at the meat counter, thinking it was just (just?) unsliced bacon. What’s the difference between this and bacon in flavour? Is it like a dried salt pork?

shmack wrote MMMM. okay, i take back what i said last night about no where to learn. OBVIOUSLY, i’m an asshat.

That’s ok, you’re an entertaining asshat :-)

shroud
    Participant

I think when I tried scapes I didn’t cook them long enough – they were still really crunchy/stalky… definitely would like to try them again though.

As for cured pork – is that the same thing as salt pork? If so, most of the big grocery stores in town carry it, but it’s usually pretty hard to spot – it’s near the bacon, usually on the same shelf as ham hocks – and there’s usually not more than one brand.

For dinner tonight I had paprika/pepper-spiced chicken breasts from the grill with sauteed kale and a mixed greens salad. Muy tasty!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Mmmm… that reminds me, I like scrambled eggs, with kale sauteed in garlic and olive oil. Not very complex, I know, but damned good and cheap too.

This thread makes me too hungry.

Bear
    Participant

Well, CU is definitely moving up in the world. We already knew that the Dispatch is keeping one jaundiced eye on the collective musings of the affluent ilk; what we didn’t realize was that other newspapers apparently have been as well:

michaelcoyote wrote Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Braised scapes served on the side

Bear wrote Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:40 pm

I’d never tried garlic scapes before a couple of nights ago. We got them from Just This Farm at North Market and Colleen grilled them up…

shmack wrote Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:14 pm

oh oh oh!!! scapes!! my mom does two inch pieces and wok stirfried with sliced cured pork.

The New York Times wrote A Garlic Festival Without a Single Clove

By MELISSA CLARK

Published: June 18, 2008

When I was growing up, no meal was complete without several of the odoriferous cloves: from the omelets at breakfast to the garlic butter popcorn as a snack before bedtime. And if my dad never did get around to making garlic ice cream, it was only because he was perfecting his garlic-laced gazpacho sorbet.

Given this history, it was no surprise that the first time I came upon a cascading pile of vivid green, curling garlic scapes at the farmers’ market, I had to buy some, even though I had no idea of what do with them.

Their graceful form gives few clues about their function. Garlic scapes are pencil thin and exuberantly loopy, and emanate a clean and mildly garlicky scent. At the top of each is a tightly closed but bulging bud. I contemplated sticking them in a vase with the peonies, but ultimately realized I’d rather eat them.

READ MORE

Check out tomorrow’s paper for an op-ed on asshats.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Speaking of asshats, we need to bring back Beavis-and-Butthead-style insults.

I’m looking at you, bungholes :)

Oh… and I cooked some sort of Tex-Mex leftover-O-copia yesterday. I know it sounds horrible, but its amazing what a little cumin and coriander can do.

Who’s excited for the grillfest at the Market?

Bear
    Participant

Manatee wrote Who’s excited for the grillfest at the Market?

I am!! I even got an early start on ’em:

Goat

(Click the pic for the full details — photo-intensive, didn’t want to post the whole thing here.)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

:shock: DANG

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: