Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

same white bread. It is only the third time I have made bread, so now I have some practice, I can try some new things. :) I’d like to make sourdough sometime though, that’s my favorite!
    Desi really eats up this bread though, he loves it!

Cookies sound tasty!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

We should get a good sourdough starter going, then we can all use it.

I also wouldn’t mind getting a kombucha going. I swear on a stack of Bibles I’m not a hippie.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    I’ll bet that apple house smells so good! When I was wee little we had an orchard near us and would go there and it smelled so good. I was sad when it closed.
    Today I made…bread, meatloaf, sweet potato fries, blackberry pie. YUM. :)

See, this is what I don’t understand. You ended up with the ingredients to make all that and I brought home cereal, avocados, and cheese. Shopping…I’m doin’ it wrong :)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    We should get a good sourdough starter going, then we can all use it.

That’s a good idea. I’ve shied away from doing that and put it off because it didn’t seem like it was worth the work for a few loafs I would make. But if several of us go in on it, it would be more worthwhile.

Do you know what is required to do that?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I’ll check around and see what I can come up with.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So I was eating my Cap’n Crunch this morning and it occurred to me “this would make really good fried chicken”. Just to make sure I wasn’t totally nuts, I googled it…sure enough, tons of recipes out there. So tonight, it will be Cap’n Crunch Chicken :D

Oh man. I so totally have a craving for Crunch Berries cereal now. Haven’t had that since I was a kid. All I have in the pantry is Kashi…

ETA:

Just googled them, and the berries are all sorts of weird colors now. Used to be just pink. Craving gone….

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

That reignites my constant craving for Smurfberry cereal.

joev
    Participant

I really want to cook tonight – but I’m volunteering instead.

I have a great bread dough recipe that has a bit of the fermentation of sourdough without the hassle of a starter. From Aritisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day:

Mix three cups of water at 100 degrees with 1.5 tablespoons of kosher salt and 1.5 packets of active dry yeast. Let it bloom for 10 minutes, then stir in 6.5 cups of flour until it’s incorporated. Let it rise once, then punch it down and refrigerate it for a few days. No need to knead .

Use as much or as little as you like to bake a loaf of bread or just a roll (400 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on the size.) It keeps for up to a month, and really the longer it goes, the better it tastes. When I run out, I make a new batch without cleaning the container – there’s some good tasting microbes in there!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

hmm, sounds promising. Thanks for sharing!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Cap’n Crunch Chicken=AMAZING.

I plan on adjusting this recipe to Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch for my next attempt.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I got 4 and a half pounds of pork butt smoking at 225.

If anyone else has a hunka meat they want to smoke I have some extra space.

Mae Greentree
    Mae Greentree
    Participant

Milk Punch

1/2 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup brandy
    1/2 cup sugar (superfine works well)
    1 Tbsp vanilla (or to taste)
    4 cups whole milk

Combine the first four ingredients in a plastic or heavy glass pitcher. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add the milk and put in your freezer for several hours. The alcohol keeps the milk from freezing completely, making a tasty and potent slushie. This recipe is easily doubled.

It’s all the fun of eggnog without the risk of salmonella.

Mercurius
    Participant

Mae wrote >>

But isn’t that the fun of eggnog?

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>

Mae wrote >>

But isn’t that the fun of eggnog?

meh. put enough likker in the nog and you’ll kill the bugs.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: