Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

Pork chops, green beans, and home fried potatoes. But healthy versions of all: small pork chops, with rosemary and thyme; green beans with diced tomatoes, onions, and italian spices (instead of my usual bacon and onion); baked home fries, to limit the oil. We’ll lose that holiday weight, yet…

But, then I’m making mini blueberry breads as gifts for some of the neighbors, since I didn’t make holiday cookies this year. Wanna bet they don’t all make it out of the house?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Just humble frozen pot stickers last night.

A trick I use when buying them: I bring a small cooler into the store with me and pack it full; it holds four or five bags and they stay frozen.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Not feeling the best today, so went with comfort food. Made chicken noodle soup (from broth, not all the way from scratch) and some sweet potato french fries. Mmm….

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Just picked up a pair of sweet potatoes this morning. Sometimes I just get a beta carotene jones.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

For all you vegetarians, (and occasional vegetarians), an old favorite recipe that is so simple, but trust me… everyone will be fighting over the last spoonful. It is really good. I make two batches at a time because it always “mysteriously” disappears.

I’m not a big tofu-eater, barring a few little chunks in some miso, but every once in a while I make this. If left to simmer until the sauce thickens, it makes a fantastic sandwich filling. If you leave the sauce a little soupier, it’s a great topping for rice or pasta. This is one of those instances where really unsophisticated ingredients somehow combine to make something special.

This is from that old standby, Laurel’s Kitchen.

1 LB firm tofu
    1 onion
    2 T oil
    2T shoyu
    2T vinegar
    1/4 c tomato paste
    1 1/2-2 c water or broth
    1/4 t mustard
    pepper

Rinse the tofu. For sandwiches, cut into bars about 1/4″ thick and about the size of half a slice of bread. If you are serving the dish hot, crumble or cut the tofu into any size you wish.

Chop onion and saute in oil in large skillet until golden. Stir in shoyu, vinegar, tomato paste, water or broth, and mustard. Bring to a boil. Arrange tofu slices in the pan, spooning the sauce over them. Be sure they are covered in sauce.

Cover and simmer about 20 minutes to be served hot, or simmer a little longer for sandwiches, until the sauce makes a glaze on the bars. Keep an eagle eye on them so they don’t stick or burn.

Good luck not eating them all before they are done cooking ;)

BTW, I don’t even think tofu is that great for anyone. I just like this recipe a lot!

Rockmastermike
    Participant

that recipe almost makes me wish I could eat tofo. It looks like some nice flavors. Maybe I’ll try that with chicken or something.

Last night I tried Enzo’s idea of a red wine snow cone. I had plenty of good clean snow on my neighbor’s deck table.

It was disappointing. I think it would taste better with porto, but that would melt the snow too much to be useable. :(

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Mike, I guess it’s just sort of barbeque sauce, in a way. Not exactly rocket science, but I like it!

Mercurius
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>
    Mike, I guess it’s just sort of barbeque sauce, in a way. Not exactly rocket science, but I like it!

I don’ know. My BBQ sauce consists of smoke, the drippings off of a dry rubbed piece of pork and apple cider vinegar (OK, the dry rub does have about twenty ingredients including tomato paste and miso. That sounds good Manatee. Think I’ll make it tomorrow. Mike, are you allergic to soy?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Apple cider vinegar, huh? Are you familiar with the apple cider and cider vinegar out of Laurelville, down in Hocking Hills? The best I’ve ever had.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >> Mike, are you allergic to soy?

yes. It seems that I am. Big problems with it.

I was going to do a couple of steaks tonight, but changed my mind and decided to do a chicken, since I have the time tonight. Steaks don’t take as long, I’ll do them after work tomorrow. The chicken was excellent! Fantastic idea!

Did the smart thing tonight and didn’t eat the entire damned chicken in one sitting. self control is HARD, but now we have another half a chicken to eat :)

also have a loaf of honey wheat bread going

Mercurius
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Apple cider vinegar, huh? Are you familiar with the apple cider and cider vinegar out of Laurelville, down in Hocking Hills? The best I’ve ever had.

I’m intimately familiar with the Laurelville Apple House. Actually drove by it twice this weekend. I have a few mason jars with hard apple cider I made from theirs. A half gallon of regular in my fridge and my Grandma has a few bushels of apples in their cold storage. Good stuff indeed. One of the few apple ciders I can find that isn’t pasteurized.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m on a local car club board, and they do a Hocking Hills run in September, and the visitor center is always a stop, and I always say BUY THE CIDER.

*edited to add*

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

What a cute sign.

I would love to be an old-fashioned sign painter– also, sign-painting enamel is the paint of the gods.

Low viscosity, super shiny and durable, bright and poppy and probably toxic as all hell.

If I lived in James-Herriot-world, where abandoned kittens are kept warm in built-in brick bread ovens and knowing the apple varieties and uses is necessary knowledge, I’d like to be the person who painted a sign about it :)

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I’ll bet that apple house smells so good! When I was wee little we had an orchard near us and would go there and it smelled so good. I was sad when it closed.

Today I made…bread, meatloaf, sweet potato fries, blackberry pie. YUM. :)

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Wow, Anne, sounds tasty. What kind of bread this time?

I baked some cookies today, they were drop cookies so they were kind of cakey and fluffy… they were chocolate drop cookies, and I put a CRAPLOAD of minced grapefruit zest in them, and some lemon oil. They had a really nice, light, citrusey tang to them.

Sometimes I get a little sick of really heavy chocolatey stuff after the holidays, so I tried to make something a little less deep dark and delicious.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: