Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Japanese Moon-Viewing Noodles

more details???

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    more details???

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    more details???

You know, this isn’t really in season. Moon-viewing season in Japan, which has a climate not unlike ours, latitudinally speaking, is in late summer. But we’ve got great moons this year, right? And in my kitchen, it’s moon-viewing season :), because I have a lot of these ingredients:

4 dried shiitake mushrooms
    1 LB dried udon
    8 oz. stemmed spinach
    4 c chicken broth
    2 T soy sauce
    1 t salt
    1/2 t sugar
    4 eggs
    3 scallions, chopped
    toasted sesame oil

Boil mushrooms for 30 minutes until soft. Discard stems, cut caps into thin strips, set aside.

Cook noodles until tender, drain and rinse under cold water.

Blanche spinach and set aside.

Combine broth, soy sauce, salt and sugar in saucepan, heat to boiling.

Arrange noodles into “nests” in 4 bowls, add muchroom slices to each, pour in boiling broth. Crack an egg into center of each “nest”. Arrange spinach in bowls, sprinkle with scallions, drizzle 1/2 t sesame oil in each bowl, serve.

Kanpai!

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

looks good!

I thought moon viewing was early October.

[Or whenever the neighbor doesn’t close his bathroom window all the way]

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I haven’t done any kind of Asian soup since the weather turned cold.

I wonder if Panda Inn is still serving those big bowls…

Rockmastermike
    Participant

that’s a really nice lookin’ noodle soup

and, actually, even though ‘moon viewing season’ is technically late summer/early fall, the moon is right now just a few days past parigee, which means that it’s about 50,000 km closer now than it will be in October, so it counts.

laChewla
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    that’s a really nice lookin’ noodle soup
    and, actually, even though ‘moon viewing season’ is technically late summer/early fall, the moon is right now just a few days past parigee, which means that it’s about 50,000 km closer now than it will be in October, so it counts.

…I was just thinking the same thing. I am also using the closeness of the moon to explain my recent bouts with insanity. Wheee!

Bear
    Participant

Thurn’s thick-sliced bologna, grilled, on toasted Eleni Christina bread, with Ben’s Sweet & Hot mustard and just a dappling of piri-piri hot sauce.

Mmmmmm.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hey if you like sweet hot mustard, get the beef tongue in mustard at Thurns!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

OK wish me luck, I’m plunging into an experiment.

I have a 6.37 lb fresh picnic ham with an expire date of 1/16. I scored the skin and put it in a brine of:

2 cups water
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/2 tsp each whole coriander and mustard seed
    4 cloves

I will let that sit for about an hour, then rinse and put it in a covered roasting pan in a 250F oven at 2:00 I will aim for a serving time of 7:00.

In the meantime I will go downtown to speak before members of City Council at 5:30 (yes, about the boathouse) so I hope to come home to a welcoming aroma in the house.

zp945
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    Thurn’s thick-sliced bologna, grilled, on toasted Eleni Christina bread, with Ben’s Sweet & Hot mustard and just a dappling of piri-piri hot sauce.
    Mmmmmm.

That sounds delicious!! Ben’s Sweet Hot Mustard does not last long at my house.

I’ve been using the giant pizza oven to cook gorgonzola encrusted steaks alot recently. It works amazingly well.

Also, been experimenting with breakfast pizzas. Deep dish style with sunny side eggs on top. YUM!

Bear
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Hey if you like sweet hot mustard, get the beef tongue in mustard at Thurns!

Oh, I love that stuff! And I can be sure that, if I buy it, no one else will eat any of it…. >:-) Sure is delicious stuff.

zp945 wrote >>
    Also, been experimenting with breakfast pizzas. Deep dish style with sunny side eggs on top. YUM!

Y’know, that sounds like it has possibilities. Many of my wife’s favorite pizzas when she was a student in Nice had fried egg on top.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I made a Beef Stew for dinner tonight. Had to modify an old Betty Crocker recipe since we didn’t have all of the ingredients, but it still turned out pretty tasty. I love it when a little bit of creative freestyling in the kitchen works out ok. With my luck it usually does not. :(

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Oh, I love that stuff! And I can be sure that, if I buy it, no one else will eat any of it…. >:-) Sure is delicious stuff.

Every September I take some to a harvest festival in a hot pepper field in Indiana. Many people take one look and run away, but a few people love it and can’t find anything like it anywhere else.

I also like to get a big coil (or two) of sausage and cook it as a big disk, then slice it into bites for sharing.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: