Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

That is the best way to eat garlic ever.

That is all.

Oh, and last night I made…

BBQ shrimp on the grill

grilled asparagus

and this…recipe courtesy of Ndcent

Cheddar Cheese Risotto

1 Tbl Butter

2 Tbl Vegetable Oil

2 Small Leaks or 2 Large Green Onions, finely sliced

1 1/2 C arborio rice

1/2 C White Wine

1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

3 Cans (14 1/2 ea.) chicken stock

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

2 Tbl chopped chives

Melt butter and oil in med. saucepan, med heat. Add leeks and cook until softened, 5 mins.

Add rice and cook stirring 1 min. Raise heat to high, stir in wine and mustard. Cook and stir until wine is absorbed, 4 mins. Add a ladle of broth and cook until absorbed, 5 mins. Repeat with remaining broth until rice is tender, but still firm to bite. Approx. 20 mins.

Stir in cheese until just melted. Remove from heat.

I thought it was pretty good, and Ben hasn’t died yet to my knowlege so I’ll call it a success. :)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

osulew wrote That is the best way to eat garlic ever.

That is all.

Not to mention amazingly easy.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

That is all.

It’s so good to just squish out the soft cloves and spread it on bread and nom nom nom.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

michaelcoyote wrote

That is all.

Also, it makes it so much better to work with and not leaving your fingers smelling like raw garlic for days. ;)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

osulew wrote

Cheddar Cheese Risotto

Those are three of the most beautiful words I’ve read today.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

osulew wrote

Cheddar Cheese Risotto

Those are three of the most beautiful words I’ve read today.

The leftovers are in the fridge…taunting me.

Unless they were consumed for breakfast after I went to work.

I would have eaten some fo sho if I wasn’t already so late.

Bear
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote Stupid Garlic Tricks

Ok, I don’t know If anyone else does this, but I’ve mentioned this to several people, and noone has heard of it.

I like to roast garlic in olive oil and a little bit of salt. Roasting brings out a sweeter, nuttier side of the garlic and cuts the harsher flavour. It’s good on toast or fresh bread as an alternative to butter.

We have a lot of favorite recipes in common, it seems.

I have a small webpage of simple-food recipes here[/url] that currently includes this one for garlic, as well as the egg one mentioned in a different thread. Also coffee, pan-fried potatoes, a potato daube, and pasta — all of them easy enough that even a neophyte like me can make ’em, and good enough that someone with tastes as sophisticated as my wife’s is very happy with them. I’ll be adding smoker tips before long.

I’ve found that the garlic works nicely with a little pepper and some thyme wrapped in among the heads… and a dedicated terra cotta garlic baker is pretty inexpensive ($7.99 from Amazon). Very tasty with thin-sliced schinken from Thurn’s and a nice ripe goat cheese.

Mercurius
    Participant

One of my favorite websites looks like a goner :( Notcot.org ran tastespotting which now says shut down because of recent legal complications. Sad face.

http://www.tastespotting.com/

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

osulew wrote Cheddar Cheese Risotto

I can’t read about risotto without thinking of the last season of Hell’s Kitchen where it was NEVER made properly. haha. Must be hard to make?

Sounds like you guys are wanting to do those fancy underground dinner parties that are all the rave right now…

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I don’t know if this is the place for this, but my favorite thing to do with salmon, and SO EASY:

I take a large Ziploc bag and put in a few tablespoons of shoyu, honey, a dash of citrus juice or rice vinegar, olive oil, slices of fresh ginger and a pinch of cayenne. I know it seems like sacrilege to mix olive oil with Asian flavors, but I likes it that way :). Plus, we might as well keep the heart-healthy-fats train rolling while we’re cooking salmon.

Then I put the salmon in there, and marinate it in the fridgey, turning it over and squishing it around every once in a while. You can marinate it for as little as 30 minutes and it’s still great. Then I broil it, or grill it, for about 10 minutes until it flakes.

Baby Jesus, it is good. And it smells heavenly.

It’s also a great easy thing to cook for men so they fall under the illusion that you are a culinary magician :wink:

Bear
    Participant

I just tried the “it’ll change your life” scrambled egg technique from the egg-delivery thread (I’ll reproduce the video here —

— in the hopes of moving the discussion along with it), with a new twist: instead of chives etc., at the end add a pinch of salt and a hefty dose of the hot cilantro sauce from El Arepazo ($7 for a substantial bottle).

VERY tasty. Not the most visually appealing dish, I have to admit — a little Dr.-Seussish at best, The Incredible Hulk makes a Mucinex commercial at worst — but really delicious.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I may attempt those eggs tomorrow morning.

That looks goooooood.

Maybe I’ll grab some smoked salmon and capers too…

hmmmm.

Bear
    Participant

Still, in my book, the all-time hands-down best way to do the eggs:

Butter and eggs at the beginning.

Scramble as suggested in the video, on-heat off-heat etc.

At the end, add about a quarter- to a half-pinch of salt, depending on taste, and one or two drops of white truffle oil per egg. If the truffle taste is really obvious, there’s too much of it. When it’s subtle, it adds an amazing savory depth to the eggs. Mix well, serve immediately.

Bear
    Participant

BTW, it isn’t a recipe, but last week we discovered that Katzinger’s carries this brand of peanut butter:

Worth checking out. It’s a little tricky to find — very top shelf, on the left as you walk in the door — but worth searching. Our favorite flavors include Sumatra cinnamon and raisin (pictured), Asian curry, dark chocolate, and jungle banana. You can pretty much just grab a spoon and start eating them straight out of the jar and be a very, very happy camper.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Anne wrote

Sounds like you guys are wanting to do those fancy underground dinner parties that are all the rave right now…

tempting :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE