Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Well that didn’t quite work. I was expecting something like frosting but I got something like syrup. Dark and sweet, laced with almond and loaded with coffee.

I rolled it up in the pastry but I decided not to try swirls, just bake the whole thing. That worked out fine; I let it rest and sliced it. There was no visible swirl but it had a nice coffee cake flavor – actual strong dark coffee.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The fishing board has a thread on clam bakes.

I have a old full keg thats been blown out and the top cut off that is flipped around for the lid and a spicket welded onto the base for basting of the broth. Inside is a stainless mesh grate to keep everything off the bottom. I can easily fit 20 dozen bags of clams in the bottom. What we do is clean and bag the clams, preferably little necks, fill the keg with water to the bottom of the mesh grate with water and two beers like Budweiser. then layer the clam bags on top of the mesh grate next comes the bone n chicken breasts (one per person) then on top of the chicken is layered sweetcorn and either sweet potatoes or normal potatoes depending on who wants what and another clam bag stuffed with carrots, celery and onion. Then to top off the bake is two full sticks of butter and old bay eye balling it probably about a cup never actually measured it. Put this on top of a propane burner and let it cook for abut an hour twenty while its cooking filling up a pitcher from the spicket taking the lid off and basting the bake with the broth. just before the bake is done filling up a pitcher and passing out cups of the warm broth that you mix 3/4 broth 1/4 beer. The beer not only cools down the hot broth but adds a nice flavor and it really warms you up during those fall bakes.Clam bakes are just ne of the many reasons why I love fall.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

From the meat smoking forum, a pull-apart bread using pop-open biscuits. Cut them in half,and roll them into balls. For this first try I rolled half of the balls in an herb/cheese mix, but the other half were rolled in the mix and then rolled into balls. The difference is cheese on the outside vs. inside; outside makes a better presentation but it drops a lot of crumbles.

That’s an old Hull brown drip dish that probably hasn’t been used in 30 years.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This was such a good thread.

Did a porchetta riff on turkey breast for the recent holiday..

Also turned out some lil baby galettes with roasted leek, white bean and plenty of gruyere.

jackoh
    Participant

From what I have seen in the course of this thread over a number of years, I think that I would rather eat at Snarf’s than at any restaurant in this city (or in many other cities for that matter).

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Hey thanks! Cooking is love, share it with your friends and family!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

FYI, I have my beef wellington ready to go in the fridge. Prepped it last night and will be baking it tonight. With the puff pastry wrapped around it right now, it resembles a huge Chipotle burrito. Can’t wait.

Wow, it’s been a year and I’m doing it all over again. Prepping everything tonight!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>
    It has begun..

Success!

We’re having this for xmas dinner this year also.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Got some smoked pork neck bones simmering with onion and bay leaf, the house smells like soup. Time to choose some bean or split pea or barley. I got a good deal on onions at Kroger and whoo do I have onions to move.

I like using those Ohio pottery “jars” – this is one of several I got from Robinson Ransbottom. F modernity.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Koreans sample American style BBQ

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

More from the fishing board – google “dobson fly”

Get about a pound of Hellgramites and boil for a few minutes then transfer to a blender and blend until they are a smooth paste. Add to a can of cream of mushroom or potato and enjoy a new tasty experience.

Collect enough mature Dobson’s, about 15 per serving and strip off the wings and set them aside. Fry the body’s at 350 until they sink, remove from the fryer and then toss in the wings for about 30 to forty seconds.
    The above is a recipe recovered from material left behind by early settlers that lived near to and along the Rocky River. History notes that the whole settlement died from unknown causes shortly after moving into the river area.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Not as fancy as most of you guys but I made this http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/ last week and it was fantastic. The frying in a pan to finish it off is key.

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

Tried this recipe on Sunday, and it turned out great. Perfect for those that love cabbage rolls but don’t have the time/inclination to make them. Takes about an hour to make.

Stuffed cabbage soup

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The frying in a pan to finish it off is key.

Google “reverse sear”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Not as fancy as most of you guys but I made this http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/ last week and it was fantastic. The frying in a pan to finish it off is key.

Here’s my go to..

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/09/carnitas/

Viewing 15 posts - 2,221 through 2,235 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: