Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

test.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

test.

Success!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>
    test.

Success!

Haha. I swear I saw a last post by but it’s not matching up. Oh well.

I had chicken sliders at little palace, the crackiest chicken sam in town.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Haha. I swear I saw a last post by but it’s not matching up. Oh well.

Sometimes these mega-long threads that are 100+ pages get unsynched somehow with the pagination and end up a little glitchy.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I made this very easy Jambalaya recipe last night and it was really good. #dayAppropriate

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jambalaya-with-shrimp-andouille-sausage

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m not making this up.

In going through some old stuff, I found this instruction booklet for a vegetable slicer:

CALIFORNIA FANTASY CUCUMBER SALAD

1 package lime Jello
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    1 No. 2 can (2 1/2 cups) crushed pineapple
    1/3 cup chopped walnuts
    1 large package cream cheese
    1 large cucumber

Make Jello as directed on package. Pour into bowl and chill. When slightly thickened, fold in cabbage, pineapple (drained) and walnuts. Pour into individual molds; chill until firm. Stuffed cucumber: Cut slice from top and bottom of cucumber. Core out inside and fill with cream cheese. Using #1 setting on your “DIAL-O-MATIC”, slice sides of cucumber from top 3/4 way to bottom in alternate slices (this gives stripped [sic] effect around cucumber). Place in center of platter with crisp greens, and top with pimento slices. Arrange molds around cucumber. Garnish with scalloped carrot curls and radish roses. Serves 4.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Spring mix with fresh citrus vinaigrette, segments of blood orange and shaved manchego.

Chang style poached egg over buttered muffin, side of smoked sockeye.

Attachments:
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Whenever we buy half a hog from Anne’s parents we always get assorted things like neckbones, which fall to the side of the deep freezer as we dig through the bacon and pork chops and ribs first.

I decided to thaw out a pack to make some soup stock. Baked in the oven first for 2 hours and then simmered in a pot with carrots and onions for another 2 hours. Loosely followed the stock recipe here:

http://seattlemag.com/article/pork-neck-ramen-broth

Not sure if we’ll follow through with the ramen instructions or make some other meat-and-veggie soup. That’s to be determined tomorrow. ;)

The whole house smells pretty awesome right now though.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yep I do exactly the same thing. That’s a great way to start a batch of pinto beans.

The neck bones are cheap, you can still tease some meat off of them (nice little scraps to go with the beans) and the stock will become a rigid gel when you chill it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yep I do exactly the same thing. That’s a great way to start a batch of pinto beans.

The neck bones are cheap, you can still tease some meat off of them (nice little scraps to go with the beans) and the stock will become a rigid gel when you chill it.

Nice! I strained out some of the fat, heated it back up tonight with more veggies and some of those nice little scraps you mentioned, and tossed in some alphabet pasta so the kids would think it was fun. The flavor was great, but I underestimated how much of the broth the pasta would absorb, so we were left without much broth to our soup in the end. Ah well. Double the amount next time. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yesterday’s project, turkey breast smoked over apple and maple. Now I need to wash the smoke aroma out of my hair.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Since I have a crockpot of pinto beans cooking in ham stock (which is Ham Jello in the fridge) I fired off another round of cornbread muffins. This time Linda suggested I add some sliced almonds, which I’ve never tried before. They lend a nice crunch. I also made this batch a bit sweeter than usual.

I tried a different pan, which turned out to be too small for the batch, so I had sort of a uni-muffin thing happening.

Attachments:
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I made “Pastalaya” for lunch today. Followed this recipe almost to the T (used a real trinity though and not a mix) and it turned out pretty great:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/02/pastalaya/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Split chicken breasts smoked over charcoal and apple

Attachments:

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m going to experiment with Pillsbury pop-open pastry and a frosting made from a reduction of 50/50 Kahlua and Amaretto. (Had a last 1/3 bottle of each) These will be “swirls” with a cinnamon sprinkle.

Viewing 15 posts - 2,206 through 2,220 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: