Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Also – hot tip for the budget minded. Hit up your local butcher, for something like a beef tenderloin you can totally use a lesser/commercial grade of beef and save a ton of money. I paid $10.60/lb for a trimmed “4 plus” loin – saved big vs $20-30lb at a grocery. A choice or prime grade tenderloin is almost redundant.

ETA – I went to United Provisions Meat and Seafood out of the Near East co-op. They had 3+ or 4+ trimmed vac sealed loins ready to go.

jackoh
    Participant

Hey Snarf. Do I have your permission to use that last photo as part of my rotating desktop backgrounds?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Do it! Meatgrounds are totally a thing.

Chrysee
    Participant

That is lovely! I was thinking of a standing rib roast for Xmas but the presentation of beef wellington is just so nice. I’ve only made individuals ones before for my husband and myself. How many did your feed, Snarf?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

ETA – I went to United Provisions Meat and Seafood out of the Near East co-op. They had 3+ or 4+ trimmed vac sealed loins ready to go.

I was just there yesterday but got Hot Chicken instead

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

That is lovely! I was thinking of a standing rib roast for Xmas but the presentation of beef wellington is just so nice. I’ve only made individuals ones before for my husband and myself. How many did your feed, Snarf?

I could have fed 10-12 probably, one thick slice each. 4.2lb loin that I probably trimmed off a 1.5lb or so, tossed it in the freezer – might make hamburger with it. $45 for that loin, could have spent thrice that at Bluescreek.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

nice use of “thrice”

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I got some of the Laurelville cider, I love it, but it’s starting to ferment.

So, my hand is forced. I’m going to try to make cider vinegar. I poured it off into two bottles and capped them with paper towel and rubber bands. Now I wait.

News
    Participant

A Kitchen Inspired by Cultivating Tradition
    November 25, 2014 7:50 am – Natalie Buehler

The Holidays are a cherished time of year to spend with friends and family. A time to be comfortable and celebrate! Celebrate our loved ones, gratitude, and of course food. Traditionally, Thanksgiving and Christmas are a time of over-indulgence: a challenge for the health-conscious soul. However, as years pass, an ever-increasing number of individuals are making the shift to a vegetarian or vegan diet. Vegan, the more stringent of the two, excludes all animal products.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/a-kitchen-inspired-by-cultivating-tradition

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Thanks y’all. This isn’t at all the “intermediate” level of difficulty as advertised – this was some hardcore heavy duty undertaking imo.

Well done Snarf! You’ve outdone yourself.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Brownies w/ Reese’s chips
    This morning’s cooking project

Brownies

2 sticks of butter, softened
    2 cups sugar (white or brown, your choice)
    4 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2/3 cup cocoa powder
    1 cup flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    handful of peanut butter chips (or chopped nuts, etc.)

Separately mix the wet and dry ingredients, then combine.

(I always start the wet with the eggs, then if there’s a bit of shell I don’t have to find it in the whole wet mix.)

Pour into a 9×9 baking pan, bake at 325 for approximately 25 minutes. A metal pan will cook and cool faster than glass.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

FYI, I have my beef wellington ready to go in the fridge. Prepped it last night and will be baking it tonight. With the puff pastry wrapped around it right now, it resembles a huge Chipotle burrito. Can’t wait.

Chrysee
    Participant

I made a beef Wellington for Xmas eve! I don’t know if I can get the photo to attach though because I’m only on my phone right now.

Edit – Instagram link it is! Sorry http://instagram.com/p/xBAbE9xXZt/

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

^gorgeous!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It was a nice day yesterday, so this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: