Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

KSquared

KSquared wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>
    Ksquared – How did your chili turn out?

Last night I tried making my version of an Indian meal..
    Made this Rajma Chawal[/url], which was like a vegetarian chili basically then spooned over basmati rice. Topped with a little chopped cilantro, it was excellent! Then a garam masala/curry rubbed pork tenderloin on the grill. And a green bean dish with carrots, mustard seed, coriander, lemon juice.
    Very enjoyable, would totally make again.

it was really good. Ended up going with a chili verde and added the pork I braised in beer. I will definitely make this again. Thanks again for the help!

Mercurius
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I think my SO may have turned me on to a super domestic but awesome new obsession…vintage Le Creuset cookware. She picked up a sweet enameled cast iron gratin dish, scalloped handles, burnt orange – just needs a little bar keepers friend and some elbow grease. I’m definitely 30 this year if I think this is cool.

Yeah, I’m a bit of a sucker for the burnt orange:

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

A can of Progresso black bean/jalapeno soup, nothing special, dosed with habanero, garlic, and more cumin, OK. But the twist was the 3/4 cup of leftover home-made mashed potato that was looking for a home.

The flavors of the bean and potato plug into each other perfectly. Plus the potato adds thickness, and the starch compliments the bean protien.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

You all are on a hunger strike or something.

I’ve had two little pork loins marinating in Goya Mojo sauce for about an hour so far, and they’re headed for the Weber. But I think I’ll roast the corn on the gas grill, so I’m not opening the Weber as often.

Roasting corn aroma = STATE FAIR for me.

I think I’ll cut the corn off the cob and make a roasted-corn salad; I have some tomato and vidalia to move, maybe some radish and bean sprouts and a bit of radiccio, on a bed of spinach…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Mom’s mint sauce – simmer 1/2 cup vinegar (of choice) and dissolve a teaspoon of sugar. Remove from heat and stir in a handful of fresh chopped mint.

Mom hasn’t made that sauce in 20 years or more, I totally caught her by surprise. she was spooning it all over her grilled lamb chop.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

What’s “cooking”….

Making this bacon and habanero infused vodka[/url] for an upcoming brunch.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hey heads up, that Athens County lamb I’m getting at the Henderson Kroger now includes liver, and it’s only $1.49/lb.

I took Mom to the store yesterday and we saw that and, well, the shish kebab was postponed to today.

friends are coming into town from philadelphia and I wanted to try something new. I have some pork but marinating in char siu that I am going to make tacos out of later, with a sesame slaw (carrots, cabbage, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, green onions, cilantro, lime juice) yum.

AmyJ
    Participant

I’m taking advantage of the breezy evening and my farm share goodies to make this soup tonight.

Rustic Cabbage Soup

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    a big pinch of salt
    1/2 pound potatoes, skin on, cut 1/4-inch pieces
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
    5 cups stock
    1 1/2 cups white beans, precooked or canned (drained & rinsed well)
    1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons

more good-quality extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the salt and potatoes. Cover and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown a bit, about 5 minutes – it’s o.k. to uncover to stir a couple times. Stir in the garlic and onion and cook for another minute or two. Add the stock and the beans and bring the pot to a simmer. Stir in the cabbage and cook for a couple more minutes, until the cabbage softens up a bit. Now adjust the seasoning – getting the seasoning right is important or your soup will taste flat and uninteresting. Taste and add more salt if needed, the amount of salt you will need to add will depend on how salty your stock is (varying widely between brands, homemade, etc)…

Serve drizzled with a bit of olive oil and a generous dusting of cheese.

Serves 4.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Took advantage of the cool weather to do some winter cooking as well. A 4.5 pound locally raised chicken from Whispering Pines farm, brined 2 days with fresh rosemary and sage, spatchcocked over a bed of potatoes, celery, carrots and onions. Side of sugar snaps picked today with butter, salt and peppah!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Looking forward to getting my stove in the house and start playing in the kitchen. Hopefully this is appropriate to the thread without starting a new post: anyone have suggestions for cooking classes in CMH? Looking at some of the offerings North Market and Sur La Table have over the summer, any others?

patient_zero
    Participant

Tricia of Edible Columbus offers a series of classes. The mushroom class with forager John Beshuk should be a fun and informative.

http://www.ediblecommunities.com/columbus/cooking-classes/edible-columbus-cooking-series.htm

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Orange glazed salmon grilled on a cedar plank. Grilled asparagus and (not grilled) rice.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Soon to grind beef for burgers. Salt, pepper, and maybe our family’s bias toward marjoram. I think I’ll add some of the seasoning I made from sea salt and garlic chives.

AmyJ
    Participant

I made an amazing zucchini/yellow squash lasagna with my farmshare bounty. YUM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,741 through 1,755 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: