Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,696 through 1,710 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

AmyJ
    Participant

We had a Comfort Food themed supper club tonight — lobster mac & cheese and oven-fried buttermilk chicken were the standouts. Yum.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    I made this fantastic red lentil soup with lemon last night.

Cookie,
    I can’t see the link to the recipe at work because our webfilter hates everything, but…
    1. have you ever had the lentil soup at Lavash Cafe?
    2. is this recipe at all similar?
    That is my fave lentil soup in the whole world, and I’ve tried recipe after recipe and still can’t find one with the right flavors. :(

Cookie

I haven’t been to Lavash, but this is the best lentil soup I’ve ever had. (And like most vegetarians, I’ve had a lot of lentil soup.) Here’s the recipe:

Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
    Adapted slightly from In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite, by Melissa Clark

4 Tbsp. olive oil, plus additional good oil for drizzling
    2 large yellow onions, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    2 Tbsp. tomato paste
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    ½ tsp. kosher salt, or more to taste
    A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
    Pinch of cayenne or Aleppo pepper, or more to taste
    2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
    2 cups red lentils, picked through for stones and debris
    2 large carrots, peeled and diced
    Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a large pot, warm the oil over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Add the onions and garlic and cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, 2 cups water, the lentils, and the carrots. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Continue to cook until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Taste, and add more salt if necessary. Using an immersion or regular blender, puree about half of the soup. It should still be somewhat chunky, not completely smooth. Reheat if necessary, then stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Serve the soup drizzled with good olive oil and dusted very lightly with cayenne, if desired.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’ll give it a whirl. I think I have almost all of that stuff in my pantry.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Ordinary Giant Eagle crescent rolls, but with a scant half-teaspoonful of cranberry relish spread before rolling. Nice and simple, this could be done with marmelade.

I also tried a few with small slivers of fresh apple, no spice, they were like micro-pies.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Ordinary Giant Eagle crescent rolls, but with a scant half-teaspoonful of cranberry relish spread before rolling. Nice and simple, this could be done with marmelade.
    I also tried a few with small slivers of fresh apple, no spice, they were like micro-pies.

Next time you do that, tuck a chunk of brie in each one. It’s the business.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

alexs wrote >>

Next time you do that, tuck a chunk of brie in each one. It’s the business.

Hmm, a sliver of brie and maybe a sliver of pear…

I just have to be careful about putting too much stuff in them, it throws off the cooking – the outsides can look done while the insides are still heating up.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I have a tremendous weakness for Archway Dutch Cocoa cookies…

Anyone ever try making them at home?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Last night I made the lentil soup Cookie linked above. I added a wee more lemon and salt today. It’s deeeelish.

cc

Turkey Burgers from Aldi, surprising good and quick on the George Foreman.

KSquared

Snarf wrote >>
    I have a tremendous weakness for Archway Dutch Cocoa cookies…
    Anyone ever try making them at home?

I would be interested in this too since it seems almost impossible to find Archway dutch cocoa cookies that are fresh. :(

eatsyou

Made chicken makhani[/url] last night and it was AMAZING! The only thing I might change is the thickening at the end with corn starch and water.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Homemade chicken enchiladas… Mmm…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Onion soup last night. I had some gelled lamb stock to move, so I slowly sauteed one white onion and one sweet onion in olive oil, and simmered them while I cut a small potato into 1/4-inch dice. I cooked all that and made a 50/50 mix of bread crumbs and parmesean cheese. I ladled the soup into bowls and topped with the breadcrumb mix, then topoped that with a little bit more cheese. I broiled those until golden brown, and served.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

^yum!!

For the game, raising canes style chicken tenders and sweet potato fries!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,696 through 1,710 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION