Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Cooking?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat What’s Cooking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,236 total)
  • Author

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Given the propensity I and certain other users have to derail threads so we can talk food, I though I’d set up a thread for just talking about food.

So here goes:

Beef Chuck Roast

Every weekend I try to do a nice sit down dinner, so this weekend I decided to do a beef roast. The roast I got was a nice bone in 2-2.5 lb. beef chuck roast from Bluescreek Farms (at the north market).

The chuck roast is a shoulder cut and therefore has a lot of connective tissue and can get get very tough if cooked improperly. I decided to go with a modified braze (cooking in liquid at low heat) so that I could use a longer and slower cooking time to break down the connective tissue and make a nice fork tender roast.

In a braze, the idea is to brown the meat on the outside at a high heat to give a nice color and flavour to the meat and then reduce the heat and cook for a long time in liquid at a low temperature (generally in a braze this means below 200F). It’s common to use a dutch oven or a crock pot to do the job, but if you use the crock pot, keep in mind you will need to brown in a different pan.

The modified part comes from the fact that as much as I’d love to cook this for 12 hours, I hate to get up before noon on Sunday.. this means that I turn the heat up from the to 275-300F to finish after cooking for 4-6 hours so i can get this on the table before midnight :-)

For the liquid I used chicken stock and vermouth, but water and a table red would work just as well.. The stock tends to add body that water doesn’t bring, but this dosen’t matter much as you will be cooking down collagen from the connective tissue into the liquid anyway. I don’t really care for prepackaged broths much, but I suppose you can use this as well. Season the liquid to taste. I tend to like just salt and pepper. Try to have enough liquid to reach the top of the meat.

I selected a cast iron dutch oven, oiled it with grapeseed oil (canola or any other heat resistant oil would be fine) and got it hot enough for water to dance in the pan and put my roast in. I cooked both sides of the roast to get a nice brown.

I turned down the heat and placed a little bit of olive oil (out of butter), and sauted 3 large thinly sliced shallots (1 large onion can work) till just before clear. I then added about 1/4 cup of vermouth and a 1/4 cup of chicken stock to the pan. I used this liquid to scrape the drippings up from the bottom of the pan and cook the shallots to clear

I then added the meat back to the pan, and added another 1/3 of vermouth and 2-3 cups of chicken stock.

To the pot I added 6-8 small potatoes and placed in the oven at 200F uncovered. I also added fennel bulb sliced. You can add whatever veg you want, keeping in mind that root veggies do well with this kind of heat. Carrot and parsnips would be good. Also beets could be a good addition.

I cooked like this for an hour and turned the meat over and cooked for another hour. I then covered the dutch oven and cooked for 2 hours and turned the meat over again. After 4 hours I sliced up some mushrooms and slivered 2 cloves of garlic and placed them in the liquid and cooked for another 30 minutes. Now is a good time to check the seasoning.

At this point I turned up the heat to 275F. Now if you have time, you can cook this all night and just use say.. 180F. You should end up with an amazingly tender roast and not have to do much work. Crock pots are also good for this type of cooking, but I’ve never used them much.. My dad was excellent at this though and we had some pretty good slow cooked meat this way. My problem with crock pots is that you can’t control the temp.

When the meat is done, it should fall off the bone and you should be able to cut it with a fork. Pull from the oven and let the meat cool in it’s own liquid. Roasts generally taste better served warm (but not hot). I like to place on a large plate or platter and then decant the liquid in a gravy boat or tureen. Skim any oil on the top and discard.

My only problem with the way I did this is that next time i would add the potatoes later in the cooking process.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Um

YUM

I’m all drooly droolerton now. If you need a crew to clean up your leftovers…we’re only a couple doors down y’know. ;)

Furthermore…later this evening, I shall be throwing some salmon on the grill because it’s tasty like that.

I don’t have a recipe to post for ya though.

Just salmon + grill = eat

:)

michaelcoyote
    Participant

osulew wrote Um

YUM

I’m all drooly droolerton now. If you need a crew to clean up your leftovers…we’re only a couple doors down y’know. ;)

Furthermore…later this evening, I shall be throwing some salmon on the grill because it’s tasty like that.

I don’t have a recipe to post for ya though.

Just salmon + grill = eat

:)

Sorry to say, the leftovers are spoken for, but I’m up for some dinners over the summer.. I love to cook and try out new recipes, so for sure expect an invite at some point. I think there will be a few parties that happen too, so I’ll let you guys know.

Salmon + grill = eat is a pretty good recipe for fun (add beer or wine to taste). I’ll sometimes throw some lemon slices on while cooking and then grill asparagus with it because I roll like that.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote (add beer or wine to taste)

wee add beer or wine to everything…even when there isn’t food involved

that’s just how we roll

I was just kidding about the leftovers (mostly ;) )

I forgot to grab a lemon at the store, but I love to grill it sometimes with lemon and fresh dill on it. Tonight i’m going to toss some corn on the cob on the grill and some wee baby red potatoes.

I’m sure we’d be up for any summer cookouts/parties/festivites. Keep us posted and we’ll let you know of any blammo-fests fo’ sho.

catnfiddle
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote Sorry to say, the leftovers are spoken for, but I’m up for some dinners over the summer..

Rockmaster and I definitely owe you dinner sometime. He’s a master of the hibachi grill and I’m planning on tracking down some healthy crock pot recipes.

brothermarcus
    Participant

I lack an adequate kitchen right now – but after reading this:

1) I’ll make sure to post interesting meals I cook

2) Instead of one person hosting and cooking, would a “cook and eat” where a group gets together and makes the meal together and talks through their dish or side or dessert recipe and beverage choices work out in similar fashion with less individual responsibility (stress)?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

brothermarcus wrote I lack an adequate kitchen right now

Sometime those kinds of constraints make for interesting innovation. I travel quite a bit for work, and I often find myself in extended stay hotels with a kitchenette. This means shitty pots, pans and knives, two electric burners and no oven (its like college all over again!). I still figure out a way to cook, because I get really tired of eating out. I can make a mean spaghetti puttenesca from a tin of tomatoes, a few dried anchovies, a jar of olives, a fennel bulb and some olive oil.

brothermarcus wrote 1) I’ll make sure to post interesting meals I cook

Yes please, that’s part of the idea here. I’m also thinking that this could be a good forum for sharing recipes and answering questions about food and how to deal with food “problems” that come up.

Now I wrote up my meal in extreme detail with whys and hows because I’m a geek like that and I like to share this knowledge with people, but I’m not really expecting that everyone will.. but it would be nice :-)

brothermarcus wrote 2) Instead of one person hosting and cooking, would a “cook and eat” where a group gets together and makes the meal together and talks through their dish or side or dessert recipe and beverage choices work out in similar fashion with less individual responsibility (stress)?

Oh, I’m all for a potlach. That’s a great idea!

michaelcoyote wrote The roast I got was a nice bone in 2-2.5 lb. beef chuck roast from Bluescreek Farms (at the north market).

This is all you need to know. Bluescreek meat is a sufficient condition for a good meal.

I thawed some ground beef from a previous purchase (forget exactly what cut), browned it with onion, can of tomato sauce, seasoned with thyme, oregano, basil, coriander (I don’t really know what I’m doing – I have a ‘little of this, little of that’ style of cooking), threw it over some spaghetti.

Ten minutes. Done and done.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

XLD wrote

michaelcoyote wrote The roast I got was a nice bone in 2-2.5 lb. beef chuck roast from Bluescreek Farms (at the north market).

This is all you need to know. Bluescreek meat is a sufficient condition for a good meal.

I thawed some ground beef from a previous purchase (forget exactly what cut), browned it with onion, can of tomato sauce, seasoned with thyme, oregano, basil, coriander (I don’t really know what I’m doing – I have a ‘little of this, little of that’ style of cooking), threw it over some spaghetti.

Ten minutes. Done and done.

I’m a huge fan of their meats.. I found a hangar steak I forgot about in the freezer. I think I’m going to have to thaw this out and do it up soon but I’m not sure when as I’m going to be busy the next few weekends.

As far as the meat being from Bluescreek being sufficient condition, I have to say I’d like to think I helped :-)

gramarye
    Participant

We had a recipe thread a while back; might be better as a one-stop-shop for people sharing recipes in more traditional (barebones) format. There were some people going into some serious detail on that one, too, though the OP here may take the cake.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

gramarye wrote We had a recipe thread a while back; might be better as a one-stop-shop for people sharing recipes in more traditional (barebones) format. There were some people going into some serious detail on that one, too, though the OP here may take the cake.

Yeah, I was hoping for a more informal “talk about food” thread here. I wouldn’t mind seeing recipes here of course, but also pointers to what might be good or in season or tips and tricks people use.

As for the detail of my post, what can I say? I’m a serious food geek. In my post I’m trying to discuss more general concepts in context to the dish I made.

If this is too much, I can cut it down further. I’m just glad I cut down from my original post. It was even longer :-)

I’ll be honest, I’m not much of a recipe guy. I like to understand the why and how of a food and its preparation and then work from there. For me it makes cooking so much fun.

Bear
    Participant

New favorite thread.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I went to a friend’s bachelor party over the weekend out on the farm and did a hog roast. I was a bit surprised that the pig was still alive when we arrived that morning, so it definitely wasn’t a party for vegetarians. ;)

The meat turned out great though! :D

Bear
    Participant

Walker wrote I went to a friend’s bachelor party over the weekend out on the farm and did a hog roast. I was a bit surprised that the pig was still alive when we arrived that morning, so it definitely wasn’t a party for vegetarians. ;)

The meat turned out great though! :D

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Stupid Garlic Tricks

Ok, I don’t know If anyone else does this, but I’ve mentioned this to several people, and noone has heard of it.

I like to roast garlic in olive oil and a little bit of salt. Roasting brings out a sweeter, nuttier side of the garlic and cuts the harsher flavour. It’s good on toast or fresh bread as an alternative to butter.

Take a whole head of garlic. Select one that’s fresh and hasn’t started breaking apart.

I like to cut the top of the head off and expose all the cloves, but some people like to slice through the center of the head.

wrap the head of garlic in aluminum foil leaving the freshly cut top of the head open. Douse well with olive oil and salt to taste.

Most of the recipes I see for this are 1hour at 325-350F, but I like to roast garlic when I have the oven going for other things so adjust time and temp. as needed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,236 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE