Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What is going on at Spaghetti Warehouse?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining What is going on at Spaghetti Warehouse?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Graybeak wrote:</div>
    The last time we went, my SO ordered eggplant Parmesan, and was righteously disgusted when biting into a big hunk of veal.<br><br>
    We haven’t been allowed to go back since.

FWIW, the exact same thing happened to me the last time I was at La Scala in Dublin

Not shocking on both accounts. Most of these places order in their Eggplant pre-made, because as is the norm in the restaurant business staffing is always a huge issue. If you took a typical veal cutlet and eggplant and put them next to each other for an inexperienced staff member it would be pretty hard to determine which is which. Still no excuse for a mistake it just shows that the staff is improperly trained which all in the end falls back on the restaurant.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>wpcc88 wrote:</div>
    if you’re going ‘chain’ Buca di Beppo is probably your best bet

I do stand corrected, Carrabbas is pretty darn good as is Macaroni Grill

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Serious question… how often do people dine out at low-to-mid-range Italian restaurants these days? It’s something that’s kind of fallen out of favor with us in the past few years. If we’re dining out for Italian food, we’d rather go slightly higher end at Basi, Tratoria Roma, Due Amici or something along those lines.

If we’re just looking for a plate of spaghetti or a pan of lasagna, we’ll make it at home. It’s super easy, super cheap and just as good as the chains previously mentioned, IMHO.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

For basic, old-school Italian, we love Moretti’s on Sawmill. They make their own sausage, bread, and noodles. I think I heard there is a long ago connection between Moretti’s and Tratoria? Like maybe a couple divorced and one took over the Tratoria spot and the other started Moretti’s? I could be wrong.

Anyway, I’d call the prices mid to high range, but you get SO MUCH FOOD that you basically get tomorrow’s lunch free with the cost of dinner.

We get Italian fairly regularly. Not so much during the summer because its just too hot for a heavy pasta dinner.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Now that you mention it, I can’t remember the last time I went to a “Italian” focused restaurant of any sort.

I did have chicken parm at Jury room not too long ago. NOM

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anyway, I’d call the prices mid to high range, but you get SO MUCH FOOD that you basically get tomorrow’s lunch free with the cost of dinner.

Heh. Now we’re entering pet peeve territory. ;) I want smaller portions and lower prices! If I want to eat the same thing as leftovers tomorrow I’ll order 2 entrees and have one boxed up. ;)

deedee941
    deedee941
    Participant

Villa Nova up my way in the north end above Graceland shopping center is a great and reasonably priced Italian place that does well for itself. And there is always lots of people there and I’ve never had to wait long for a table. The food and service is excellent.

metrobabylon
    Participant

Serious question… how often do people dine out at low-to-mid-range Italian restaurants these days? […] If we’re just looking for a plate of spaghetti or a pan of lasagna, we’ll make it at home. It’s super easy, super cheap and just as good as the chains previously mentioned, IMHO.

Same here. If my parents are in town we go to Carrabbas (they love it) otherwise as someone who claims Italian as her favorite type of food, I don’t see the point in wasting time/money at a chain. I’d rather go for a unique experience, cost irrelevant; otherwise my husband does an insanely delicious bolognese at home that makes me weak in the knees as soon as I smell it cooking.

Long gone I think, but does anyone remember the small Italian restaurant that used to sit next to a motorcycle shop in the Short North? It was my favorite restaurant here before I moved away, and for the life of me I can’t remember the name anymore.

wpcc88
    Participant

Little Italy in Groveport is pretty damn good; worth the drive for the salad alone. Aside from that Cafe Davinci at Kingsdale in UA is really good too and they have homemade gelato!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

For some strange reason I never feel like I’m going to an “Italian restaurant” when hitting Due Amici.

If I was craving for Italian I’d hit Giuseppe’s or Scali.

pez
    Participant

Thanks for the idea, however, I am a bit on the lazy side with regard to this kind of stuff (Although a recent BBB complaint worked out). I will say that I trust that 3 out of the 4 of us (I was at work) got sick which seems to be a strong correlation (correlation does not equal causation). I also thought it might be related to being lunch (it was a late lunch), but even then seems pretty sad. I will say that what my brother’s company supplies is not the type of thing you want to have a complaint about.

You had me thinking too and this doesn’t seem good either…

http://www.city-data.com/franklin-county-oh-restaurants/spaghetti-warehouse.html

It’s pretty essy to report, you can even email it in. Don’t think of it as getting revenge, it’s more to help them collect information and it’s pretty important to help isolate issues that may harm others.

http://columbus.gov/publichealth/programs/food-protection-program/

columbusfoodie
    Participant

A lot of our food buying over the past year or two has been takeout, and Olive Garden (at least the one in Grove City) has been consistently solid. Any specials are avaiable for carryout, so it’s not unusual for $25, to be able to get 2 entrees (one for each), a bowl of soup or big salad, more breadsticks than we’ll eat, with enough for leftovers for the next day. And it’s always packaged beautifully. It would be a way different story if we were eating out, but chains do manage to scratch that itch now.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

If you want standard Italian food on the near West Side you could also try the Florentine. It’s big and kitschy like Spaghetti Warehouse (minus the streetcar in the middle of the dining room). I’ve only been there once, but remember it being good.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned TAT on James Road. For good classic old-school Italian food from a local joint (NOT a chain) with some real history, I don’t think you can beat it. They make a seafood alfredo just the way I like it –thick with cream and butter –and I have fond memories of their filet mignon, although I haven’t had it in years. Last time I was there, I was pleasantly surprised to discover they have a family-friendly second dining room, as well as a nicely priced dinner special menu.

El Diablo Einstein
    Participant

What happened to that place? We ate there Thursday night and the food and service and overall ambiance was poor.

I’ve had better frozen lasagna in a bigger portion than that stuff they serve there.

Our server didn’t crack a smile the whole time and just went through the motions ( I know I’ve waited my share of tables). None of the servers smiled the entire time I was there. What do they do to them there? Beat them when they are in the back?

Anyways, it was mediocre food and mediocre service. We wont be back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: