Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What is everyone currently reading?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books What is everyone currently reading?

Viewing 13 posts - 886 through 898 (of 898 total)
  • Author
    Heathercat42
    Heathercat42
    Participant

In the background I’m re-reading the whole Song of Ice and Fire books…
    but actively, I’m reading “Kitty Genovese: The Murder, The Bystanders, The Crime that Changed America” by Kevin Cook.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’m reading “Kitty Genovese: The Murder, The Bystanders, The Crime that Changed America” by Kevin Cook.

Heard good things about that. How do you like it?

Heathercat42
    Heathercat42
    Participant

Heard good things about that. How do you like it?

(I have 2 chapters left, it’s hard to put this one down!)
    You know, it’s very well written. There are many elements to the story: the victim, the perp, the witnesses, the press… society as a whole dealing with outrage, urban legends, and the bystander effect.

He makes what I think is the best effort to introduce you to Ms. Genovese the person, which helps to really empathize with her life & death. He spells out what it was like to be her in that time, what she actually was like according to the person closest to her, what events in that neighborhood and the country in general influenced her life and the lives/actions of her friends/neighbors, and why a number of them were guarded and mistrusting of authorities before this even happened.
    Really, that last part is a big piece that was always missing from previous stories.

The author likes to give more details about everyone connected to Kitty’s life, death, and legacy. They’re very important to the whole story when it happened and why it matters still. It’s hard to summarize the impact on me as a reader, not unless I were to write a lengthy blog post or essay. But Yes, I like it very much, glad I picked it up at the library, strongly recommend if you’re interested even a tiny bit.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Thanks for that. Have to add it to the “to read” list.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Not as good as his debut, “The Imperfectionists”, but still solid, contemporary fiction.

Full review here: http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org/borrow/recommendations/staff-picks/jeff-r/rise-and-fall-great-powers

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

This might be the heir apparent to Harry Potter.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Not sure if this was a good book or if David Mitchell is just a really really good writer.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Read it. Then let’s talk.

DavidF
    Participant

Really intriguing science fiction. Not necessarily the easiest read. It’s the first in a 3 book series (so far) and even halfway through the second book, there is a lot about this unique world that hasn’t been fully explained.

Can’t wait to get to the third book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7562764-the-quantum-thief

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

It took 15 years, but I finally got around to reading this. I’m happy to report it was worth the wait.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

The New Prophets of Capital by Nicole Aschoff

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

Just finished The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt. My boss lent me his copy because he thought I’d like it, and I enjoyed it so much that I bought a copy for myself. Now I’m starting On The Nature of Things by Lucretius, which is the rediscovered book at the center of the plot of The Swerve. Which, according to Greenblatt’s thesis, steered western culture toward our modern way of living.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic

RIYL The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets , Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World’s Greatest Outlaw.

Viewing 13 posts - 886 through 898 (of 898 total)

The forum ‘Books’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS