Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What is everyone currently reading?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books What is everyone currently reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 898 total)
  • Author
    Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Some long-term CU threads

Mister Shifter
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Some long-term CU threads

Tom,

You of all people on here should read the short story I posted above, as it draws a lot of parallels to many of the things you post about (love and peace amongst humankind and global implications related to it, etc).

Take 20 minutes and read it.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Tom,

You of all people on here should read the short story I posted above, as it draws a lot of parallels to many of the things you post about (love and peace amongst humankind and global implications related to it, etc).

Take 20 minutes and read it.

It took more than 20 mins for me. You must read fast.

Well, anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by your suggestion, bracing myself for a hostile comment about how I need to stay out of this conversation or learn to stay on topic. So, thanks.

Instead of posting rambling comments in need of revision, I’ll just put a link to notes[/url] I wrote after reading The End of the Whole Mess.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

We can separate the gross error of Darwin’s racism in The Descent of Man from his contribution to evolutionary biology.

Darwin’s racism doesn’t score one for religion by invalidating evolutionary science. Instead, it reminds us to not hero-worship extraordinary individuals, and to not take a religious approach to science; that is, no scientist and no theory is infallible.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I picked up the final book of the Wicked series the other day, Out of OZ. Can’t wait to read it! I’m sure it will take me forever though.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Suez to Singapore by Cecil B. Brown – published in 1942.

Suez to Singapore – Amazon

melikecheese
    Participant

I just finished Escape From Camp 14. Its a story of a man who was born in a North Korean slave labor camp and managed to escape. It was really interesting. I kept being a bit amazed that this was a real place. I still think NK modeled itself after 1984.

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Camp-14-Remarkable-Odyssey/dp/0143122916

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

I just finished Brilliance by Marcus Sakey. Great suspense book — page turner — I’d recommend.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Steven King has a sequel to The Shining out right now called Doctor Sleep. Pretty good, vintage King. Have not really read much of his stuff in about fifteen years as I did not like the Dark Tower stuff, but this is good stuff.

rus
    rus
    Participant

derm said:
    Steven King has a sequel to The Shining out right now called Doctor Sleep. Pretty good, vintage King. Have not really read much of his stuff in about fifteen years as I did not like the Dark Tower stuff, but this is good stuff.

Heard good things, but really hard to like the guy again after the past few years.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Recently finished:

RIYL: “The Hunger Games”, “The Knife of Never Letting Go”, female protagonists, brutal dystopian futures

I promised myself I’d read more popular fiction this year. I’d heard good things about the new Turow book, so I decided I’d give it a try. Given that cliches abound in the world of legal/procedural thrillers I have to admit “Identical” was pretty refreshing. 4 Stars on GoodReads.

Sometimes you’re smarter than the book, and sometimes the book is smarter than you. This one had it’s charms, but I was nagged by how much of the author’s expansive knowledge was wasted on me. I read every word, but felt like I only got half the book. Still, 4 stars for the mind expanding properties and the plucky teen protagonist.

Angs

Having finally got round to starting the Russian Greats … I can confirm that they are as good as you have heard.

Dickens withthout the waffle, George Eliot without the tedious philosophizing, Brönte without the ‘Dear Reader …’

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

Just finished Swamplandia! — great book from the perspective of a 13-year-old girl growing up in the Everglades

Now I’m into Thirteen Moons — about a boy who grows up at a trade outpost on the border between the Cherokee Nation in the appalachians and the European-Americans from the east as they push further west.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

null

Four-star family drama that flits between solid and the surreal.

Review here: http://www.worthingtonlibraries.org/borrow/recommendations/staff-picks/jeff-r/sea-creatures

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

I’m currently reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. True to the title, it is a bloody, bloody story, set in the Mexico-U.S. territory border areas around 1840 or so. It’s very good so far, as far as I can stomach it.

Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 898 total)

The forum ‘Books’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER