Our City Online

Messageboard - Books

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What is everyone currently reading?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Books What is everyone currently reading?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 898 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I just put myself on the waitlist at the library for My Life. #668!

woo-boy! I might get to read it by the end of the year!

brothermarcus
    Participant

Reckoning: Drugs, The Cities, and the American Future. by Elliot Curry.

$0.99 with $2 shipping from amazon.com, or $19 at the bookstore. thank you amazon.com…

MB

Seven is reading My Life, and i think he is actually enjoying it. Ann, you want it when he’s done?

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

that’d be cool! thanks. :)

BillY B

Reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown right now. About a 3rd of the way through it. Once I start reading it at night it’s hard to put down. Dan Brown of one of my fav. writers right now.

Neil Jaye

I am currently halfway through a book called Memorial Day by Vince Flynn. This is the fifth book in a series centering on a main character named Mitch Rapp, a CIA Counterterrorist Operative. It’s a REALLY quick and fun read, entertaining and actually a really insightful look into the way the White House, CIA, FBI, etc. operates from the inside. It’s really amazing considering many of the books were written about fictional terrorist plots and attacks before similar events really took place. I read the first five books in less than two months. If you like the writing style of Dan Brown, I think you’ll really enjoy these books; Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power, Memorial Day (I am reading now), and Consent to Kill (the next in the series, reading that one next)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I just started reading “The Shroud of the Thwacker” by Chris Elliott. Pretty hilarious so far. It’s a murder mystery set in 1882 New York, and Chris himself is retelling the tale as he goes through new evidence to try to solve the mystery in present day. Of course, it’s completely made up and includes some very wacky interpretations of history.

I’ve read reviews comparing it to Douglas Adams’ work and to Monty Python-eqsue humor, but definately much more americanized than either. Even if you’re not a huge fan of Chris Elliott’s zany humor, you’d probably enjoy this book if you like his british comparisons. :D

brothermarcus
    Participant

Neuromancer – William Gibson

mwa423

I just finished as a bit of “beach reading” The Partner – John Grisham

gold42

I am reading the David Eddings book series, “The Mallorean.” I am currently on the book “Demon Lord of Karanda.” This is a series of books my girlfriend recommended to me. They seem at first like a rip off of the Lord of the Rings books, but Eddings characters and stories are completey unique from LotR. If you like high fantasy, this is a great series.

seibu1

From Beirut to Jerusalem – Thomas Friedman

SO well-written and timely even though it was written in ’89.

mwa423

In the past week, I read:

Freakonomics – Steven Levitt

It was possibly one of the most interesting books I have ever read. The chapter on the connections of names to financial success got a bit slow, but other then that, it was an amazing read. Highly reccomended

Blood Brother: 33 Reasons Why My Brother Scott Peterson is Guilty – Anne Bird

Eh, not bad, but not great. With so many great books to read, I wouldn’t reccomend it unless you were interested in the Scott Peterson trial for some reason.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

One of my favorite books last year was “Hairstyles of the Damned”. I highly recommend it for anyone who, like me, is about the same age as the writer (late twenties or early thirties). It’s a very acutely remembered picture of high school in the early nineties.

brothermarcus
    Participant

last read – ender’s game by orson scott card

currently reading – firefly by piers anthony

shroud
    Participant

Currently polishing off A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin, latest (& currently last out) of his excellent “A Song Of Fire & Ice” series.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 898 total)

The forum ‘Books’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS